Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

HMF

I don't necessarily disagree with some of your posts, but I when you constantly post your disdain for WDW's current state in so many threads, it becomes difficult to enjoy the forum.
Well, I would be less inclined to express my disappointment if the WDC were able to give me reasons to be optimistic which is unlikely to happen as long as Bob Iger is CEO.

HMF

Does Pandora make you optimistic? Or perhaps Star Wars Experience?
Pandora, absolutely not. Star Wars-maybe, assuming the budget is not cut and I am not particularly fond of it's placement within Disneyland or the fact that they felt Disneyland Park was the place for it considering that none of the other lands are exclusively dedicated to one IP.

G00fyDad

Does Pandora make you optimistic? Or perhaps Star Wars Experience?

I'm excited for these but I would not go so far as to say optimistic. My optimism is tempered by the knowledge that Disney will likely treat these lands as they do all others. When something that adds to the "awe" and "wow" of the lands breaks they will just ignore it and act like it was never a functioning part of the land in the first place because "guests still enjoy it". For proof of this you can make an appointment with the Yeti in EE. I see water falls ceasing to function properly and getting turned off. Sound effects in the foliage not working correctly so that gets turned off too. Then the bioluminescence stops working in sections and never gets fixed. Believe me, I am not trying to sound like a doom and gloomer. Not at all. It is Disney's past behavior that has me thinking this, and not just because of the Yeti. They are going to have to prove that they give a crap about the parks maintenance before I get optimistic about their lands and the impact they will have on me.

HMF

100% agree with you on Star Wars' placement in Disneyland. As far as Pandora goes, why aren't you optimistic? From the photos I have seen it looks magnificent.
I don't feel Avatar is a viable franchise nor do I feel it fits DAK thematically. On top of that it's taking land that could be used for Beastly Kingdom.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I don't feel Avatar is a viable franchise nor do I feel it fits DAK thematically. On top of that it's taking land that could be used for Beastly Kingdom.
Things don't need to be a "viable franchise" to work in a theme park. Most of the best loved/longest lasting attractions are not based on a franchise. The world of Pandora is an intersting concept in itself regardless if it is linked to a film.

Mike S

I'm excited for these but I would not go so far as to say optimistic. My optimism is tempered by the knowledge that Disney will likely treat these lands as they do all others. When something that adds to the "awe" and "wow" of the lands breaks they will just ignore it and act like it was never a functioning part of the land in the first place because "guests still enjoy it". For proof of this you can make an appointment with the Yeti in EE. I see water falls ceasing to function properly and getting turned off. Sound effects in the foliage not working correctly so that gets turned off too. Then the bioluminescence stops working in sections and never gets fixed. Believe me, I am not trying to sound like a doom and gloomer. Not at all. It is Disney's past behavior that has me thinking this, and not just because of the Yeti. They are going to have to prove that they give a crap about the parks maintenance before I get optimistic about their lands and the impact they will have on me.
One can only hope that James Cameron made a similar contract with Disney that J.K. Rowling made with Universal that effects can only be broken for so long and have to be fixed.

Goofyernmost

I don't miss the location though. I wish they could have done something with that. That hat become Iconic.
I agree, anyplace other than where it was would have been wonderful. But, it was where it was, and it is now happily gone. I miss the Earfful tower. Gone but not forgotten, just like many old favorites that had to be taken out to make room for new stuff. Neither Walt nor I would have wanted the place to be a museum.

donaldtoo

^^^^^This
Here's the way I see it...
From day one, WED/WDI (or, more specifically, Walt) set the bar high. VERY high. And yes, I'm aware Disneyland's opening day, and for a little while beyond, was less than stellar...but, once they got it all dialed in, it was nothing short of miles above anything similar that came before it. It was superior.
Even after Walt passed, the guys that were left behind, and had worked with Walt over the years, did their best to maintain that VERY high bar.
I was a little over 4 years old when Walt passed, and my first visit to a Disney Park was to Disneyland as a 6-year-old in 1968. I have visited both Disneyland and WDW many times over the years, and I have a pretty darn good memory of the height the bar used to be set at.
Bottom line, those of us that have been around long enough to remember the original height of that bar are gonna' be disappointed as we've seen it mostly, and in some ways shockingly, lowered over more recent years.
You'd think they would be actually trying to set the bar even higher...yes, wishful thinking, and I don't blame WDI so much as I do the bean counters, and such.

HMF

Actually, there is one thing left over from the hat. or was last I checked. On either side of the hat were a bunch of plastic stars which matched the hats aesthetic. after the hat was removed the stars stayed for some reason.
The_Great_Movie_Ride_and_Chinese_Theater_at_Walt_Disney_World.jpg

I personally think it's a stupid unnecessary reminder of the hat. Have they been removed in the last few years?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom