Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

note2001

I've seen mention of a stage being built in place of our favorite whipping boy hat. Is this confirmed in any way? And I mean "confirmed" in the loose sense. Not via Disney press release, but via consensus of the standard group of inside-folk. "Confirmed" as a general Disney rumor that most likely will come true with the chance of last minute change.

Does Disney need to file designs and permits with the state when building permanent structures? Maybe our friends over in the permits thread have heard something.

Sage of Time

The tower? Oh yes indeedy...

View attachment 80677
Is it at all possible that WDW moves our Earful Tower to the front of the park so we, too, can get this view? Because that's a REALLY great look for the park.

I walked around the remnants of the hat today and noticed that there are actually 3 full size crane trucks around it. There were also orange lines spray painted all over the steel which presumably is the cut lines. The next few days should be interesting.

Btw several cast members working the area including photopass, gmr cast and character attendants said the walls will be up until sometime in April.

Edit: spelling
Yup. gotta build the (retractable? hopefully!) stage!

Tom Morrow

Is it at all possible that WDW moves our Earful Tower to the front of the park so we, too, can get this view? Because that's a REALLY great look for the park.
At DSP, the entire park and especially the entrance are supposed to be studios, so it works to have the water tower at the front. At DHS, the front of the park and Sunset are meant to actually be Hollywood and not a studio, so it doesn't quite work to have it at the entrance.

Goofyernmost

The only permit so far for this location is for Coastal Steel to do the demolition. I doubt they would do concrete work, so I would expect at least one more permit to cover that.
If they don't have it by now, then it is probably all one contract that Coastal Steel got and plans to job out the concrete work. It's way to expensive to break one project down into little segments. Demolition usually means complete unless there is a building permit to use the old concrete construction as a base for the new stuff. They may eventually put something there again. It depends totally on exactly how stupid they can be and they have proved over and over that they indeed have the capacity for that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If they don't have it by now, then it is probably all one contract that Coastal Steel got and plans to job out the concrete work. It's way to expensive to break one project down into little segments. Demolition usually means complete unless there is a building permit to use the old concrete construction as a base for the new stuff. They may eventually put something there again. It depends totally on exactly how stupid they can be and they have proved over and over that they indeed have the capacity for that.

In the grand scheme of things the permit filings aren't that expensive for Disney so it would not be that strange to have multiple permits for the same project. I have seen cases where two or three permits show up on the same day for the same project with different contractors. With that said it's definitely possible that Coastal will sub out the concrete work. One other possibility is that they wanted the hat down "quick" but haven't yet locked in the plans for what will happen next in that area.

Goofyernmost

In the grand scheme of things the permit filings aren't that expensive for Disney so it would not be that strange to have multiple permits for the same project. I have seen cases where two or three permits show up on the same day for the same project with different contractors. With that said it's definitely possible that Coastal will sub out the concrete work. One other possibility is that they wanted the hat down "quick" but haven't yet locked in the plans for what will happen next in that area.
I agree with what you are saying, but, just for clarification, I wasn't referring to how much it costs Disney for a permit, that's parking meter change, I'm referring to the fact that when you break down a job, like this one, into small segments each segment will add up to more then just including it in one.

Demolition requires some expertise but, not as much as specialty building jobs. That is probably why you can see multiple permits for different vendors when a specific talent is required for a specific build. They also, in that case, are managing the build. I would be really surprised if Disney put any Imagineers/Engineers overseeing the demolition. They would likely tell them what they want and then like a Nike add, say "Just Do It".:)

heath.sneyd

This how I feel every time some one says "What's replacing the hat? It's such an icon. They've got to build something in its place" or "did you hear about the giant Olaf replacing the hat?" Or "the hat makes so much sense. It shouldn't leave." I want to scream this...

I just ignore those posts now. Less BS to think about.
The only permit so far for this location is for Coastal Steel to do the demolition. I doubt they would do concrete work, so I would expect at least one more permit to cover that.
Maybe I'm wrong, and if I am, I'll be quickly corrected, but if all the ground mounts were based in the planters, there may not be any concrete work needed...
... Or you've hit the nail on the head here. You usually do.
Amusingly enough, Coastal Steel was the company that built the thing 14 years ago.
you'd think that since they built it, they'd know how to get the dang thing down quicker!
Wishful thinking, I know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom