Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Arthur Wellesley

I walked around the remnants of the hat today and noticed that there are actually 3 full size crane trucks around it. There were also orange lines spray painted all over the steel which presumablely is the cut lines. The next few days should be interesting.

Btw several cast members working the area including photopass, gmr cast and character attendants said the walls will be up until sometime in April.
If anybody sees me doing some sort of victory war dance around those walls sometime this spring, please don't judge.

Mike S

Make sure to read the Weiss articles on DCA's inspirations too, Mike. There's some fascinating details to be had. The only thing is it makes me depressed to realise that 99.9% of visitors will never even notice these things the imagineers of the past worked so hard on!
Same site?

Mike S

Yup same site, best Disney history articles on the web. Be warned though, at the bottom of every article there's a link to a few related ones, so you can easily find yourself spending hours reading them going from one to another!
Ok I'll be careful not to get sucked in ;)

BrerJon

Ok I'll be careful not to get sucked in ;)

Too late for me! I just looked at the homepage, didn't realise how many hundreds of articles there were, and although I've read buildings of MGM parts 1,2 and 3, I've only just seen he's done a parts 4, 5 and 6! Man, and I thought *I* had too much time on my hands!

Of course, his 'Please Remove Your Hat' article is legendary and one of the best pieces ever written on why the clock needed to tick on the BAH! http://www.yesterland.com/removehat.html

wdw71fan

But this works both ways. The op often posts things that appear to be "inside information", so when he posted that things would speed up on the demolition I assumed that he had some inside info on the project and knew that something was going to change in how the demolition was being executed. To me it didn't seem that anything changed and that the pace of demolition was the same before and after that statement was made. If people don't want their opinions questioned, they shouldn't post them on the internet.

wasn't questioning my opinion, it was the tone that it was questioned..

but it could have been just lost in digital translation.. I assumed you were jumping my proverbial poop over it... occasionally I do post , 'informed opinions'... this wasn't one of them.. just enjoying the quick and painful death for the BAH ;)

I was just saying the other day that it was going to go fast at that point... After all.. I've been waiting for this to happen for over a decade ;) so no worries!

The Rocketeer

If people only knew the heritage and creative thought and vision that went into creating Hollywood Blvd they might see things differently. I love the 6 part series from Yesterland that delves into the inspiration behind each building at HS. Reading this make me appreciate the original intent and theme Disney originally achieved and how truly horrible the BAH was to that theme. Enjoy!
http://www.yesterland.com/replicas.html
I completely agree. It's a shame that people block off the detail, story, and beauty of not just the studios, but all the parks and I can't wait to see the original view for the first time. The sorcerer's hat had no connection to the park at all, except fantasmic and still that's not enough for an excuse.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

It isn't hard to tell who hasn't ever been exposed to any kind of construction/destruction process is it. :joyfull: Even when they blow up buildings in Las Vegas it isn't until after months of prep work and then months of cleaning up the mess. All the public ever sees is the few seconds after the explosion is set off so it seems like it is like snapping ones fingers. :rolleyes:

Cesar R M

I'll have you know that that hat saved my life. My pixie sticks addiction had conquered me. Things had gotten so bad, I was selling myself on the streets, doing the Charleston and other old-timey dances for a nickel a pop, just so's I could get enough money to buy another hit of the Devil's Powder and all it's sweet, sugary goodness. Then, one day, the BAH came by. He said, "There's a better way to live." I cleaned myself up right then and there. If it wasn't for the BAH, I'd be lying in a gutter in a diabetic coma.

For those cheering the hat's destruction, ask yourselves this- how many more were touched by the hat?
are you going to make a Religion based on the hat? :hilarious:

note2001

I'd love to have a livestream of the sparks flying right now (12:40am, assuming they'll be at it)
As long as I'm not footing the bill, I love construction (or in this case demolition) when I know the final outcome will be designed well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom