Is the clock ticking on the Leave a Legacy monoliths at Epcot?

Cmdr_Crimson

I hope they're torn down as soon as Disney can. While I'm too young to remember the original EPCOT, I've always found these things hideous. It reminds me of the Australian War Memorial in London, which is not something I want in a Disney park.

auswarmem1.jpg

One for the Homies of the future....
Spaceship-Earth1.jpg

Monorail_Red_77

If they just transplanted the stainless steel tiles from the granite monoliths closest to the center planter and placed them on the open space on the others that alone would open up the pathways in a major way.

Yes, Anything would help. Even if they were to trim the monoliths back some. No, wait. A ton. <-- (nice pun insert) Looks like their eyes were bigger than their guests checkbooks. Based on the amount of unused space on the monoliths.

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
Any pictures from today? Are they still there?
:)
Sorry Matey! This here be a speculatin' post...no major rumblin' from the crusty crew yet...this'n were started as a response to the BAH hat demo...this be the next major eyesore many hope to see scuttled to Davy Jones' locker!

Arr! Stay tuned!

Brad Bishop

Sorry Matey! This here be a speculatin' post...no major rumblin' from the crusty crew yet...this'n were started as a response to the BAH hat demo...this be the next major eyesore many hope to see scuttled to Davy Jones' locker!

Arr! Stay tuned!

I was just making a joke sort with reference to the BAH going away and the daily hat-watch.

I'll be glad when the tombstones are gone, though.

matt9112

My wife and I spent a week in January 2006 at WDW, just 2 months after our wedding and paid for a leave a legacy picture. It was our first trip together to Disney World and we want it to stay at least another 50 years or until after we are no longer going to WDW. I think it is unfair and wrong for those who did not pay for it to ask that it be removed. Removing it would be the same as taking my DVC ownership away without compensation. Even DVC ownership lasts 50 years and its only 10 years since we paid for it.

I think it's wrong and unfair to have a graveyard in the entryway to a theme park for the rest of us to stare at. Worst location. Choice ever. the rest of the world cares so very little. And although I feel your pain having paid for it and such it really is super tacky for the rest of us. Think about it.....the only people who will look for you is well...you and if you had taken a lovely photograph again the only people who would see that would be you and your loved ones. I assure you no world traveler will be combing through for your faces.

Ps: I know this sounds rude but I promise I mean this gently.

OliveMcFly

This is an interesting thought. My mother and I have a tile on one of the many walls. I don't recall paying for it, I'm confident it came in a package that WDW offered. If they were to take them down, it is what it is, but I always thought they could cut them up and send the tile to the owner to keep. It may be tedious work but I would like to have it.

Eric1955

I know Disney is obligated to display the Leave a Legacy portraits for several more years, but does Disney have to keep the exact same tiles or can they be replaced with copies of the same portraits? I ask because I’ve always loved the People Tree at Expo 67’s Canada pavilion, and I think some trees inspired by it would be perfect for Epcot. The People Tree used red and orange nylon squares to display pictures of Canadians. Imagine Epcot having several trees like this but made of glass instead of nylon. The glass pictures on the trees could be taken from the Leave a Legacy portraits. I don’t know where the trees could be located but they would have a cool retro futuristic appearance that I think would look great in Epcot.
expo-67-canadian-pavilion.jpg
expo-tree.jpg
67m62.jpg
arbre_du_peuple_2.jpg
Expo_67_Canada_Pavilion_PC_001.jpg

Kind of reminds me of these cool trees :)
1241565227_931909ac08_o.jpg

George Lucas on a Bench

I heard from a Monorail Pilot that the Leave a Legacy was only built to last 20 years and then they need to take it down, but that it would take about 5 years to remove them. So maybe they are coming down!

Goofyernmost

I know Disney is obligated to display the Leave a Legacy portraits for several more years, but does Disney have to keep the exact same tiles or can they be replaced with copies of the same portraits? I ask because I’ve always loved the People Tree at Expo 67’s Canada pavilion, and I think some trees inspired by it would be perfect for Epcot. The People Tree used red and orange nylon squares to display pictures of Canadians. Imagine Epcot having several trees like this but made of glass instead of nylon. The glass pictures on the trees could be taken from the Leave a Legacy portraits. I don’t know where the trees could be located but they would have a cool retro futuristic appearance that I think would look great in Epcot.
View attachment 84925 View attachment 84926 View attachment 84927 View attachment 84928 View attachment 84929

Kind of reminds me of these cool trees :)
View attachment 84930
Loved Expo 67.. Man and His World! I have a large overhead photo on my wall of the entire Fairground. I lived only about 60 miles from Expo back then.

JoeCamel

St. Pete has one they are no longer using that could be re-purposed for this. If it means getting the rocks out of the entrance.

Flatkap

OK so I do agree that as far as the blank stones go they should be removed however the ones with the plates should stay its like magic kingdom's bricks my brother and I got one done our first trip to Disney in 2000 not only that but we know where it is and find it each time we go which is nearing 13 times and we love seeing it its not a graveyard its a memory sure Disney did say 20 years however that was if LAL was successful which it wasn't its still amazing to say that I have a picture engraved on a plate in EPCOT and I can show my kids when I have a family. I see where people are coming from wanting it to go however you have to look through the eyes of one of those people who got their face engraved on a plate and think of the memory and joy it brings them! I personally love seeing me way back when I was 4! AndAndf I can recognise it! I do also agree that the area is pretty bland and would look nice with a garden but it kinda is an interesting way to enter the Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow you enter in the present (i.e. the main gate)look to thee the past (I.e. leave a legacy and the spaceship earth ride) only to find yourself in the future (I.e. future world). That being said Disney has said that they plan to "revitalise" future world after the final phase of Hollywood studios is complete so if they are planning to remove them it will probably be in a few years I also hope that they are moved or the picture are put somewhere because its literally being a part of WDW and I would love for that to be displayed somewhere at least instead of sitting backstage gathering dust like the Tapestry of Nations puppets

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom