Is the clock ticking on the Leave a Legacy monoliths at Epcot?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I want them to stay. My picture with my daughter is there, as well as my parents. My dad passed away and never got to see it. It was so special to go there in 2013 and share the pictures with my family, especially my son who never got to meet his grandfather. It was if a part of my dad was there with us. I look forward to seeing them again this year. They should remain. If you don't have a picture there you just don't understand how awesome it is to go back and see them.

That's beside the point. The fact is that most of the tiles are badly worn, and practically unrecognizable, and were not good quality etchings to begin with.

While the stones may have been designed to last for ages, the tiles certainly were not.

Goofyernmost

I've been thinking. That whole thing was created either just before or just after 2001. I don't know the exact time frame. The one thing that always came to mind from the first time I saw it was that movie 2001 A Space Odyssey.
I wonder if that was how it connected with Future World and complimented SSE (at least in their minds). Does anyone know if 2001 ASO had any influence on it's design?

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
I'm as big a fan of Horizons as you'll find, but I find your analogy poor.
Okay...I'll try to make more sense...

Basically...Disney will give those tiles the Rick James "couch treatment" just like any other "beloved" attraction/theming/you name it...regardless of the people that bought tiles foolishly thinking they'd last until the end of time...

Personally, I feel like what's >700,000 tiles vs the millions who roll through there every year? Nothing.

Oh...for illustration of the first bit...

8fBcTSXh.jpg

DisneyGentleman

While the stones may have been designed to last for ages, the tiles certainly were not.
I was there when they were building the abomination, and they are not as massive as they might seem.

They are metal-stud structures like every other building in EPCOT, with granite countertop material cladding the outside.

No more "built for the ages" than your kitchen cabinets.

Goofyernmost

I was there when they were building the abomination, and they are not as massive as they might seem.

They are metal-stud structures like every other building in EPCOT, with granite countertop material cladding the outside.

No more "built for the ages" than your kitchen cabinets.
So if a bunch of us showed up with crowbars, we could make them go away? Hmmmm!

roj2323

If they just transplanted the stainless steel tiles from the granite monoliths closest to the center planter and placed them on the open space on the others that alone would open up the pathways in a major way.

raven

I've been thinking. That whole thing was created either just before or just after 2001. I don't know the exact time frame. The one thing that always came to mind from the first time I saw it was that movie 2001 A Space Odyssey.
I wonder if that was how it connected with Future World and complimented SSE (at least in their minds). Does anyone know if 2001 ASO had any influence on it's design?

These were installed in 1999 as the Millennium Celebration started on 10/1/99.

raven

Raven, I would agree with what you are saying about them being special and a way for people to say they were there for the turn of the century, if everyone and their dog wasn't able to get one. Because they sold them for so long, they don't really seem all that special.

Yet 15 years later the same nighttime show at Epcot created for that celebration (Illuminations) still exists and is rated best nighttime show in WDW.

They kept selling them because the turn-of-the-century doesn't just mean 1 year. They were just trying to fill them up and making it available for anyone that wanted one.

SnarkyMonkey

Yet 15 years later the same nighttime show at Epcot created for that celebration (Illuminations) still exists and is rated best nighttime show in WDW.

They kept selling them because the turn-of-the-century doesn't just mean 1 year. They were just trying to fill them up and making it available for anyone that wanted one.

I'm not understanding the comparison to IllumiNations? I think you misunderstood my point. I'm not saying that the LAL should go because it was meant to be temporary...although perhaps others feel that way.

I was responding to your comment about these being very special because only those who were there for the turn of the century could get their photo on one. It seems to me that anyone who wanted one had plenty of time and opportunity to get one. So, I'm not seeing how those who did are special.

Goofyernmost

These were installed in 1999 as the Millennium Celebration started on 10/1/99.
So it could very well have been designed with 2001 in mind. I know that is the first thing I have ever thought about whenever I have had the misfortune of walking past them. But where is Hal? ;) At the time it could very well have been the connection to the future. However, the future is now the past, so it no longer makes sense. They should have thought of that unless they felt that 15 years later everyone one would have seen that movie. Without that they are just a big pile of angled stones.

raven

It seems to me that anyone who wanted one had plenty of time and opportunity to get one. So, I'm not seeing how those who did are special.

Plenty of people have already responded in this thread why it's special to them, as did I.

So it could very well have been designed with 2001 in mind. I know that is the first thing I have ever thought about whenever I have had the misfortune of walking past them. But where is Hal? ;) At the time it could very well have been the connection to the future. However, the future is now the past, so it no longer makes sense. They should have thought of that unless they felt that 15 years later everyone one would have seen that movie. Without that they are just a big pile of angled stones.

As much I love love Stanley Kubrick films, there is no connection in it's design here.

SnarkyMonkey

Plenty of people have already responded in this thread why it's special to them, as did I.

I'm not asking about why they are special to people? I get that.

I originally responded simply to say that you didn't have to be there at the turn of the century for the millennium celebrations to get one. You responded (quoting me) with something about IllumiNations. I have no idea what that had to do with anything?

I feel like we are having two different conversations.

raven

I'm not asking about why they are special to people? I get that.

I originally responded simply to say that you didn't have to be there at the turn of the century for the millennium celebrations to get one. You responded (quoting me) with something about IllumiNations. I have no idea what that had to do with anything?

I feel like we are having two different conversations.

Illuminations was listed to show that the Millennium was something that most people experience only once in their lives and the impact that the Disney celebration had on people. It was such a good show they kept it. They had such a good time that they wanted something to remember it by. Tapestry stayed around for a couple of years too. So the Millennium turning isn't just ONE year to people. Disney simply offered it longer so more people could partake in it. Whether they did or not it their own choice. But a lot of people got one after the Millennium year was over with still just as a nice way to show that they were here.

Goofyernmost

As much I love love Stanley Kubrick films, there is no connection in it's design here.
I will take your word for it, but, not without a deep internal feeling that even if sub-consciously, that monolith design didn't just accidentally happen so close to 2001. But, that said, whatever it is, it is a less then inspiring sight as you walk into the park. Whether it is thought of as a cemetery, monument, monolith or a pile of rocks with hardly visible etchings on them, it is close to the time to have it make an exit and that will be fine with me.

Sage of Time

Again, it doesn't make a difference where they are at the moment since they only open the middle gates for entry. Everyone is filed passed the center planter because of this very reason. There's no need to go through these stones at the moment because the other gates are never open.

Google "Epcot entrance" and look at a few photos of the area and notice how the pavement is darker and worn next to the central planter due to the traffic flow. They clearly wanted the flow to go this way.
Can you link to that? I've been searching and they haven't come up.

thomas998

Well,

I've taken it upon myself (foolishly? lol) to start this new thread. If it already exists, the forum snipers are more than welcome to take this one out!

We've been off topic in the hat removal thread...mostly discussing the monoliths at Epcot that were part of the Leave a Legacy promotion. I guess one could say that now the wand is long dead...and now that the hat is getting whacked...curiosity (as is human nature) has set in about the other eyesore and source of annoyance than are the monoliths left over in the entryway of Epcot.

Or gravestones. Or war-memorial...whatever you want to call them!

So, I don't personally know a blessed thing about when they're to be removed for sure. I have no insiders and no clue but I'm insanely curious as to what others might know...

This is hopefully a place for this discussion! So...fire away! Keep it clean and come out discussing!

I like them. I see no reason to remove them at all whether you have a vested interest from having paid to have your photo there or not, it is not causing any real issues. Is no more a problem than when I walk into some museums where I pass a wall that is filled with plaques with dedications that someone paid for when the museum was soliciting money. To be honest removing it would be akin to someone deciding they wanted a water park where a cemetery was so they bulldozed the tombstones to make way for a water slide...

You have to remember that some of those photos are of kids that had a final wish to visit Disney before they died of a terminal disease, they got their picture up there so their families could remember them at a happy place... and you want to tear it down because they didn't matter to you and walking past them slows you down what 5 seconds?... Sounds a bit selfish to me.

Moreover, EPCOT hasn't grown beyond its original planned area... so the walkway and its size isn't really an issue. Disney wanted the narrow pathway and that is what it is... They fit perfectly with the geosphere behind to be honest and without them the area would look to barren. I hope they stay as long as the park.

JoyE

Honestly I would rather them focus on fixing all of the other things that are wrong with the park than tearing this down. Fill the empty Pavillions, update Innovations, replace Captain EO (does anybody watch this anymore?), update Ellen, add attractions, and just about anything else that would add entertainment value. After entering the park, these monoliths aren't in my mind, but all of the issues with the park are my focus!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom