Is the clock ticking on the Leave a Legacy monoliths at Epcot?

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
What was the purpose of pulling the lucite fountain columns? Anyone know? I almost feel like if put back, I might not mind the stones so much...

raven

What was the purpose of pulling the lucite fountain columns? Anyone know? I almost feel like if put back, I might not mind the stones so much...

Not sure but it was around the time they were trying to retire the symbols of Future World and its pavilions. Those colums had one on the top of them.

imagineer boy

I really think they should just be redesigned. Give them a different texture other than the tombstone stone like maybe stainless steel which would thematically link it to SSE pretty well. Also maybe space them out more to the side so they don't block the entrance so much.

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
Not sure but it was around the time they were trying to retire the symbols of Future World and its pavilions. Those columns had one on the top of them.
and to me they should have kept them around...it was nice to have a tying set of symbols...I was very much surprised and delighted when the upgrade to Test Track included that throwback logo to World of Motion.

To me, the fountain looks like something is missing...it's like when you move the couch out of a room that hasn't been shampooed in years...there's this big clean shadow of what should be there...

...at least maybe if you know what you're looking at... :(

Seabasealpha1

Original Poster
Wasn't there a video of a guy who had them and was selling them? I know I've seen it.
Yeah, they were sold out of a like...Disney parks pawn shop thing...I've seen it too...can't seem to find the clip on youtube...they were in a huge crate and were ready to be shipped...

tjcouch

Does anyone know if there is an online directory/database of the folks pictured? I *think* the ex wife and I got one ages ago - but I honestly can't remember. I know we talked about it....but I am not sure if I ever opened up my wallet or not. It would be good for a chuckle to seek out the photo, but I would only spend the time if I knew if and where it was located in advance.

On a side note, as soon as the installation went in, the first thing I thought of was the "Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository." Back in the 80's it was decided that we would bury our radioactive waste there. The problem is that it would remain lethal for some 10,000 years. Civilizations come and go, as do languages, so there was a desire to come up with a universal keep-out sign - some sort of structure that would communicate "this is not a good place to be" and inspire people to stay away, that would also transcend the ages. A design competition, essentially, was held and anthropologist-types submitted their designs.

One of the concepts that I saw was for large granite monoliths with big spiky, thorn-like protrusions spread out over the acres approaching the site. Anywho - that's what popped into my brain and makes me chuckle every I have subsequently seen the LaL. (An article about this and there are many more: http://www.damninteresting.com/this-place-is-not-a-place-of-honor/ )

JoeCamel

Looking for Your Legacy Tile?

Though the Leave a Legacy program was discontinued in June 2007, more than 550,000 tiles were sold and remain on display for Guests to remember their very special day at Epcot. If you’re at the park, you can find your tile via computer lookup at the Leave a Legacy Locator Station inside the Camera Center under Spaceship Earth. If you’re looking for information about your tile and you’re not on site, you can send an email toWDW.EC.legacy@disney.com.

Thanks https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/epcot/leave-a-legacy/

DisneyGentleman

Lucite (PMMA) gets beat up pretty badly by the weather (mainly micro cracking), and the columns were eventually milky white. They were not looking very good by the time they left.

tribbleorlfl

So far as people getting offended if their tile gets removed and all that jazz...because they paid for it...

One could argue in some strange way that people also paid for Horizons, Wonders of Life, etc...

Didn't stop demolition there...
I'm as big a fan of Horizons as you'll find, but I find your analogy poor.

Phonedave

I have a tile with my kids pictures on it, from many years ago. OK, maybe 10 or so.

I got it for free. It was part of a package we received. You had a choice of three things - a tile, a $25 credit to Planet Hollywood (why the hell do i remember that) and something else, that I can't recall. The first time we got the PH credit, the second time, the tile. The tile was a better choice.

When we were getting the tile done, we were told that the new entryway was the result of a design contest that had numerous submissions, and this was the winning design. It was supposed to draw your eye to Spaceship Earth, and "support" it. It was also supposed to mirror the shape of the support legs. This was told to me by the CM that was taking the picture, so take that for what it's worth.

I honestly don't care for the layout. But is far down on my list of things that I would like to see changed in WDW. There are a lot of other things that I would like to see changed. Things that are actually causing me to go to WDW a lot less than I used to and when I do go, to enjoy it a lot less. In the grand scheme of those items, the entrance to EPCOT barely rates.

I do visit my kids tile when we go, and I would like it to remain (even after the contract expiration date). It would be nice if Disney decides to renovate this area, if they would move the picture tiles to some other location where they still could be viewed. If they don't, I am not going to get all up in arms about it, but it would be nice.

-dave

Mickey87

I personally would like to see them moved elsewhere. I'd like to believe that everything at Disney tells a story. I'd also like to believe that the Future World portion of EPCOT is a dedication to technology and the advancement of the human race. So if you are a first time guest and the first thing you see when you walk through the gates is pictures of random tourists, I feel that detracts from the story. I know that some of the tiles may be a memorial for loved ones who are no longer here. However, this is not the case for all the tiles and I fail to see how a picture of a guy and his ex-girlfriend of ten years ago contributes to the story of Future World and the advancement of technology. Either sell the individual pieces back to their owners, or relocate them elsewhere.

I also would like to piggy back on what others have said about the traffic flow of the entrance and how the monoliths have essentially focused the traffic flow. I feel like it is a major waste of space at the front. The first thing you might experience as you walk through the gates is a massive flow of people going the same path. I am a believer in appreciating all the little things at WDW and often find myself going the the far left or far right as soon as I walk through just to take in these under appreciated areas. I feel like because the LaL monoliths are scattered around, people don't realize the potential beauty that lies at the entrance. They could really do some beautiful things with that entrance.

raven

Less we forget why LaL was created in the first place. Epcot was the epicenter for the Millenium Celebration. Leave A Legacy was designed for guests to have a small claim saying "I was there!" during the turn of the century, which most of us will never see another one of. These stones were to stand the test of time into the future and into the new century. So it isn't hard to understand they there is a special pride that comes with having one of those tiles.

LaL was desined to focus your attention on SSE upon entry. I agree there needs to be more trees and plants in this area but LaL, IMO, enhances the grandeur of entering Future World. There really is nothing to see on the far sides of the entrance except stroller and wheelchair rental. If you miss that, go to MK and DAK. And removing them doesn't necessarily mean easier traffic flow because guests still have to be funneled under SSE. MK has narrow tunnels and DAK has a winding path. Same argument yet no one seems bothered much by those.

AZmommy9508

I want them to stay. My picture with my daughter is there, as well as my parents. My dad passed away and never got to see it. It was so special to go there in 2013 and share the pictures with my family, especially my son who never got to meet his grandfather. It was if a part of my dad was there with us. I look forward to seeing them again this year. They should remain. If you don't have a picture there you just don't understand how awesome it is to go back and see them.

SnarkyMonkey

Raven, I would agree with what you are saying about them being special and a way for people to say they were there for the turn of the century, if everyone and their dog wasn't able to get one. Because they sold them for so long, they don't really seem all that special.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom