Is "Stark Expo" coming to Disneyland's Tomorrowland?

fractal

Original Poster
and maybe EPCOT?

http://furiousfanboys.com/2011/04/the-stark-expo-becomes-a-reality/

Remember the very “Disney” vibe they tried to create with Howard Stark and the Stark Expo in Iron Man 2? Well, it looks like that Disney connection may become a reality when the Stark Expo is installed in Disneyland’s Tomorrowland. What began as just a rumor on Twitter and Disneyland messageboards is apparently not really a rumor; sources say it’s well beyond that. Apparently Walt Disney Imagineering has drawings, renderings, and costume designs all ready to go.

Where will it go in Disneyland? The much hated Eisner-era infomercial building Innoventions will be renovated to hold the Stark Expo. There isn’t an announced time-frame as to when this will happen, but with Star Tours opening this summer and Disney releasing The Avengers on May 4th 2012; don’t be surprised if it’s the big addition to Tomorrowland next summer.

Skipper Dan

I'm sorry, but I personally think that Stark does belong in Tomorrowland, and especially EPCOT. :zipit:

... and before you go 'hatin'' on me, think about who actually belongs in those locations more. Tony Stark - with his progressive achievements in technology - or Nemo and Mike Wasowski? :wave:

Plus, it's better than throwin' Spider-Man in the Streets of America (which ain't that bad of an idea) or Captain America on Main Street. Well, wait a minute, those aren't too bad.

Okay, okay, it's better than throwin' the Hulk in Adventureland! Yeah, boo'ya!

Stark, EPCOT... bring it on. :animwink:

Atomicmickey

Weird rumor, given that Stark Expo is a pop culture reference to Walt, the World's Fair, EPCOT, and all of that. Doesn't fit for the company to riff on it's history in that way. I call shenanigans.

faceleg

I'm pretty sure if it eve did come to Epcot, it wouldn't be for a long while considering the exclusivity rights Universal still hold on some Marvel characters, Iron Man/Stark included (there is a Stark Enterprises "building" in that island). And it doesn't look like Universal is releasing control any time soon, what with the Spiderman upgrades and all.

sod4

As a fan of Iron Man and Marvel comics in general I think this would be a very good way to bring Marvel characters into the parks. Additional characters that would fit the technology expo theme include Mr. Fantastic, Peter Parker, and Professor X (kind of).

It would be a DLR exclusive for quite a while because of:

I'm pretty sure if it eve did come to Epcot, it wouldn't be for a long while considering the exclusivity rights Universal still hold on some Marvel characters, Iron Man/Stark included (there is a Stark Enterprises "building" in that island). And it doesn't look like Universal is releasing control any time soon, what with the Spiderman upgrades and all.

worldfanatic

Marvel Characters + (Epcot/Magic Kingdom/Disneyland) = Uggghh!! :hurl::hurl::hurl:

I know they're part of the Disney family now.
So, if anything, build them their own Marvel themed park.

But inside Epcot or Magic Kingdom? No.....please.....No.:dazzle:

RSoxNo1

I understand the idea of a Stark Expo replacing Innoventions in Disneyland, but I don't think it's the best choice. I would not oppose to the third gate in California being devoted entirely to the Marvel Properties.

quirkle

As excited as my husband would be about seeing the Marvel Universe in Disney I so no reason to merge these two words. Marvel should be its own park I do not want to walk down Main street and see ANY Marvel characters - I would feel like I was in some horrible Six Flags nightmare!:hurl:

Really - if Marvel belongs anywhere it would be in HS - not MK or EPCOT. These are very different properties with different fan expectations. I dont want my Princesses being rescued by Spiderman.:lookaroun

cheezbat

Sorry guys, but I just don't see a full Marvel themed park surviving. You know what it will turn into? Disney's version of Six Flags! Ride the Iron man dark ride, then off to the Spiderman inverted coaster, followed by an adventure battling Dr Doom in his drop tower...then off to Namor the Sub Mariner's Ocean rapids adventure!

It would make for a good few rides, maybe a good land in an existing park, or in a new park with OTHER lands and properties, but Marvel standing alone...just wreaks of another DCA style fiasco.

lazyboy97o

I just do not see the point in there being a fake version of Tomorrowland in Tomorrowland. Why not just be sincere and honest? Why coat it all in a layer of derivative, franchise branded falsity?

Lee

Adventurer
Indeed.
There is a concept in development for a Stark Expo themed area to go into the Innoventions/CoP building in Disneyland.
Not greenlit...yet.

I like it.

2020_C.E.O. said:
... and before you go 'hatin'' on me, think about who actually belongs in those locations more. Tony Stark - with his progressive achievements in technology - or Nemo and Mike Wasowski?
Yes. This.

JLW11Hi

Its ironic, really, because not only is it referencing the history of Disney with Epcot and the Worlds Fair, but Richard Sherman actually wrote the Stark Expo "theme song", effectively riffing on his own Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow. And now there are plans to insert that in the very building that housed the Carousel of Progress!

It reminds me of making a movie based on a Theme Park attraction (Pirates), then inserting characters from the spin off into the actual attraction.

http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/051010_NF_FEAT_RichardShermanIron.html

The same song is apparently appearing in the upcoming Captain America film.

FigmentJedi

Sorry guys, but I just don't see a full Marvel themed park surviving. You know what it will turn into? Disney's version of Six Flags! Ride the Iron man dark ride, then off to the Spiderman inverted coaster, followed by an adventure battling Dr Doom in his drop tower...then off to Namor the Sub Mariner's Ocean rapids adventure!

It would make for a good few rides, maybe a good land in an existing park, or in a new park with OTHER lands and properties, but Marvel standing alone...just wreaks of another DCA style fiasco.
A Marvel Park as a Disney Six Flags would imply that Disney wouldn't put any effort into theming attractions based on Marvel properties besides signs in the queue of a generic steel coaster. Besides, Marvel's got a lot to offer between the superheroes, the magic stuff, Cosmic Marvel. And if you need to fill a few holes, expand it into a superhero general park and use Disney's own superhero properties like Incredibles, Rocketeer, Supergoof and Paperinik.

AEfx

A Marvel Park as a Disney Six Flags would imply that Disney wouldn't put any effort into theming attractions based on Marvel properties besides signs in the queue of a generic steel coaster. Besides, Marvel's got a lot to offer between the superheroes, the magic stuff, Cosmic Marvel. And if you need to fill a few holes, expand it into a superhero general park and use Disney's own superhero properties like Incredibles, Rocketeer, Supergoof and Paperinik.

Yeah, that's another of those "internet fan myths" that makes me roll my eyes as well. Every time anyone brings up "thrill" rides, or...egads, a park possibly focused on them...people flip out and start yelling, "SIX FLAGS!"

Apparently they don't have the imagination to think of what Disney could do if they *DID* built some big thrill rides *AND* they were very well themed. The concepts are not mutually exclusive, it's just that no one has really done it before - though Universal comes close on some attractions.

RSoxNo1

Yeah, that's another of those "internet fan myths" that makes me roll my eyes as well. Every time anyone brings up "thrill" rides, or...egads, a park possibly focused on them...people flip out and start yelling, "SIX FLAGS!"

Apparently they don't have the imagination to think of what Disney could do if they *DID* built some big thrill rides *AND* they were very well themed. The concepts are not mutually exclusive, it's just that no one has really done it before - though Universal comes close on some attractions.

To me, when people say "a thrill park" I think of something like Islands of Adventure. Save the eyesores that are The Hulk and Dragon Challenge, this is an example of how a ride based on thrills can still be heavily themed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom