Is Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad too scary for a 5 year old girl?

Scott10

My 5 year old daughter loved both. Splash is her favorite ride and BTMR was ranked near the top of her favorites list as well. But, as has been mentioned, it certainly depends on the child. My older daughter didn't want anything to do with either of them until she was at least 10! It has been my experience with our 2nd child and many of my friend's children that the 2nd child is much more thrill seeking!

DiSnEyF@n

I remember when I was little and Splash Mountain was brand spanking new... I would duck my head down practically in between my knees and that lessened the "thrill" of the big hill. Just a thought. You can always tell your daughter to do that, that way you won't have to worry about that "stomach" feeling you get when you're going down the drop.... On that note, I'd like to share that as an adult I do NOT do that anymore lol

Enjoy!

Disneykings

Cant comment on Splash Mountain but we took our daughter on Big Thunder Mountain in DLP when she was 5. She suffers with anxiety problems and she loved it so much, she begged to go on it again. I am terrified of heights and don't even like Dumbo! Her only choice for our Fastpasses in October is Big Thunder Mountain :) As for size, our daughter is tiny, we just both held her but she was fine with the lap bar. Have a great trip.

righttrack

Big Thunder is loud. To me that's the only factor that would make it scary for a child who has been on kiddie coasters. Remember that the shared lap bar, child next to an adult will not go down far over the child's knees so they will catch a little more air seated next to another adult than they would seated next to another child.

Kit83

My 9yo loves all the coasters he can get on but splash mountain freaked him out . I think its because he could not breath on the big drop . He is not phased by any other rides. For example we rode The Mummy at Universal 7 times in a row.

Queenof<3<3

Part of my Disney pre game is to go on you tube and show my 5 & 4 year olds pov videos from first time rides. I also try to compare it to everyday things they already know and other rides like at the fair or carnivals that they've been on.

Every kid is different and only you could know what they like and don't like, none of my girls like drops but don't mind fast and bouncy. Since it was their first time I tried to over sell the ride once we were on. Made it over the top fun and exciting in every nice calm funny scenes so the drops weren't taken as a big deal. It wasn't until the big drop that I lost them lol but they still went again and again.
Thunder mountain was a different story, my 4 year old is a twig and I did not feel her secure at all that zipping around. I was hugging her tightly but I can see why that ride was a bit much for such a little girl. It wasn't to fast but way to shaky and bumpy for just a lap bar.

Seven dwarf mine train was a bit milder in my opinion that big thunder. Lap bars are also better.

Maelstrom Troll

My five year old daughter rode both and Tower of Terror. If all else fails watch the videos together and warn them when the big fall, or big effects happen.

LdyApxr

My youngest was 6 when we took him the first time(this was DLR Splash, not sure how different KK Splash is) and he hates that ride to this day. Loves Matterhorn and Space Mountain but hates Splash. He says it is because there are no seatbelts to hold him in. LOL Mind you, even at 17 now, he is still not 95lbs but he is 5'2", he's a string bean

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom