Is Port Orleans R worth the extra money in comparison to Pop or AoA?

LeighM

You guys sound like clones of my husband and me! This is why we're staying at POR for the second time in a row. You caught onto our best-kept secret about the West bus depot - we were randomly placed nearby on our next trip and we loved being able to hop on an empty bus just steps outside our door each day, so we're requesting that again. It is a longer walk to the lobby though, so consequently, we didn't use our refillable mugs as much because it was so out of the way.

It worked out great with us and the refillable mugs. Because it felt like the bus dropped us of outside of our door, we were easily able to drop off our bags, grab our mugs, and talk a leisurely walk to the lobby. We would just stay there for a while, walking through the gift shop, sitting in the lounge, or sitting outside on the rocking chairs. I'm going to miss the resort for our short stay in 2018:(

LeighM

Shhh, keep the West Depot secret! But I think the secret's out. This February, there were people who walked over from all over the resort to get on at West. The buses got crowded, so it's no longer a secret at all

That's funny LOL. There was never much of a crowd at the north or east depots either so they could've gotten on the bus there and still had a seat :) I did read that POR recently changed the bus routes to add 2 MK busses in the morning - one that stops at the south depot only and the other to hit west, north, and east depots.

slappy magoo

I've stayed there a number of times (mostly before becoming a DVC member, only a 1 night stay since then) but I've enjoyed every stay.

Swan and Dolphin are indeed lovely hotels, and the beds supposedly beat every kind of bed in every other Disney resort by a country mile. But as you noticed, there is a resort fee (PLUS a parking fee if you're driving). You don't get access to Magical Express. And the resorts don't feel as "Disney-ish" as others. For some people that lack of theming is more of a plus than a minus; some folks don't want to be drowning in theme the entire trip. Plus, you're only a short walk to three "official Disney resorts" - Yacht Club Beach Club and Boardwalk so you can make reservations in any of their restaurants and get a snootful of disney magic if the mood strikes. You will also be right near the Boardwalk so if you and your mom wanted to enjoy what little nightlife there is - the dueling piano bar, the club that's always been empty any time I checked it out - it's an option.

The pools at AoA are amazing, but the one night I stayed with my wife and kids in a Little Mermaid room was IMO more trouble than it was worth. The food court was cacophonous and the beds are so small. Were we staying in a suite, using the kitchenette a little more, definite maybe. But I wouldn't want to stay in a standard room in any of the Values again, with very few exceptions. As it happens, I'm taking a very short trip with some family, my niece and her husband are letting me stay with them, but on the night of their anniversary I'm clearing out and going to All Star Music so they can have some privacy, but it's literally just that night, I'm just there to shower and sleep and I'm out the door early the next morning. I know other people love the Values, can't imagine why anyone would spend more than they have to on a Disney trip. But they're not my cup of tea. Unless you're thinking about splurging on an AoA suite (and it doesn't sounds like you are), I'd go moderate, not a second's thought.

The_Bellringer

Original Poster
I've stayed there a number of times (mostly before becoming a DVC member, only a 1 night stay since then) but I've enjoyed every stay.

Swan and Dolphin are indeed lovely hotels, and the beds supposedly beat every kind of bed in every other Disney resort by a country mile. But as you noticed, there is a resort fee (PLUS a parking fee if you're driving). You don't get access to Magical Express. And the resorts don't feel as "Disney-ish" as others. For some people that lack of theming is more of a plus than a minus; some folks don't want to be drowning in theme the entire trip. Plus, you're only a short walk to three "official Disney resorts" - Yacht Club Beach Club and Boardwalk so you can make reservations in any of their restaurants and get a snootful of disney magic if the mood strikes. You will also be right near the Boardwalk so if you and your mom wanted to enjoy what little nightlife there is - the dueling piano bar, the club that's always been empty any time I checked it out - it's an option.

The pools at AoA are amazing, but the one night I stayed with my wife and kids in a Little Mermaid room was IMO more trouble than it was worth. The food court was cacophonous and the beds are so small. Were we staying in a suite, using the kitchenette a little more, definite maybe. But I wouldn't want to stay in a standard room in any of the Values again, with very few exceptions. As it happens, I'm taking a very short trip with some family, my niece and her husband are letting me stay with them, but on the night of their anniversary I'm clearing out and going to All Star Music so they can have some privacy, but it's literally just that night, I'm just there to shower and sleep and I'm out the door early the next morning. I know other people love the Values, can't imagine why anyone would spend more than they have to on a Disney trip. But they're not my cup of tea. Unless you're thinking about splurging on an AoA suite (and it doesn't sounds like you are), I'd go moderate, not a second's thought.
Thanks for all your insight! With my teachers discount the Swan and Dolphin is about the same, maybe a little less than depending on the year, as a moderate. So I will probably go with that. I could save at a value, but AoA seems to be priced almost as a moderate. And the rooms look a little motel-ish at the values which I know my mom would hate.

Minnesota disney fan

That's funny LOL. There was never much of a crowd at the north or east depots either so they could've gotten on the bus there and still had a seat :) I did read that POR recently changed the bus routes to add 2 MK busses in the morning - one that stops at the south depot only and the other to hit west, north, and east depots.

The way I understood it when we were there in February was that they would have 2 buses at a time (sometimes they had the really long accordion one) from 8am to 11am only. These buses followed one another and were for the MK only. I might be wrong on the times, but it was during the most busy am time of day to help with the crowds going to MK. First stop was the south depot. They were faithful to this most of the time, but there were a few times only one bus came.

slappy magoo

Thanks for all your insight! With my teachers discount the Swan and Dolphin is about the same, maybe a little less than depending on the year, as a moderate. So I will probably go with that. I could save at a value, but AoA seems to be priced almost as a moderate. And the rooms look a little motel-ish at the values which I know my mom would hate.
The rooms at the Values ARE a little motel-ish, albeit motels that cater to families with kids. The decor ranges from whimsical to older-adoptive-parents-don't-know-what-their-new-kid-likes-so-here-is-some-kid-stuff. To be honest, most of the moderates, once you're in the rooms, feel a little motel-ish too but at least they're bigger rooms with queen sized beds. By all appearances (not having stayed in them myself, judging by pics and online videos) Swan and Dolphin look more like Deluxe hotel rooms. You're losing some of that Disney whimsy some visitors would kill for, but it's not like you can't step 10 feet outside of the hotel and be steeped in it all over again.

But again, be warned, if you're flying, you don't get access to Magical Express. And if you're driving, there is a parking fee ON TOP OF the resort fee. That can bite a hole in your savings

LeighM

The way I understood it when we were there in February was that they would have 2 buses at a time (sometimes they had the really long accordion one) from 8am to 11am only. These buses followed one another and were for the MK only. I might be wrong on the times, but it was during the most busy am time of day to help with the crowds going to MK. First stop was the south depot. They were faithful to this most of the time, but there were a few times only one bus came.

A couple of years ago, POR changed the bus routes. The South Depot is now the first stop only for Disney Springs - the West depot is first for the parks. Within the last few months, they changed it to add a second MK bus for mornings. One just for the south depot and the second for the others. Not sure if they're still working out the kinks. When I was there a MK bus came every 10 minutes to the west depot. It was very nice :)

Last edited:

LindsaySue2

I just got back from a horrible stay at Pop Century so I say go to Port Orleans. I've stayed at both Riverside and French Quarter and loved them both. I should've gone back this time but I was trying to save money. Pop Century is extremely noisy and the bus transportation is ridiculous

WDWBigEd

In the Parks
Yes
I'm going to Echo many of the things that have already been said here , but here is my story...

We have stayed at Pop and Art many many times. In fact at one point in time the Supervisors at the front desk of Pop knew us by name and face (not for bad reason lol ). We love Pop and I'm sure one day we will go back again, but one day there was a great deal over at Riverside and we wanted to try it out..... oh boy what a "mistake". I looked at my wife in the morning and said sweetheart we just made a huge mistake staying here. Her eyes got so big because she loves the room and the resort. I said yes now we can never go back this place is amazing.

We love the rooms and the staff there. Going up to the queen sized beds and the bigger rooms is a difference. We also love having FQ next door for their food. I feel like you can't go wrong with Riverside they have never let us down. And this is no bash on Pop or Art we loved them still as well, but anything longer then 2 nights we go to Riverside.

LeighM

I'm going to Echo many of the things that have already been said here , but here is my story...

We have stayed at Pop and Art many many times. In fact at one point in time the Supervisors at the front desk of Pop knew us by name and face (not for bad reason lol ). We love Pop and I'm sure one day we will go back again, but one day there was a great deal over at Riverside and we wanted to try it out..... oh boy what a "mistake". I looked at my wife in the morning and said sweetheart we just made a huge mistake staying here. Her eyes got so big because she loves the room and the resort. I said yes now we can never go back this place is amazing.

We love the rooms and the staff there. Going up to the queen sized beds and the bigger rooms is a difference. We also love having FQ next door for their food. I feel like you can't go wrong with Riverside they have never let us down. And this is no bash on Pop or Art we loved them still as well, but anything longer then 2 nights we go to Riverside.

Funny that you say that. I stressed so much over where to stay for our 2012 WDW trip (first visit ever!), read a bunch of reviews, and finally settled on Riverside. The entire drive down there I was worried the husband wouldn't like it because he had gotten used to the interior hallways and Riverside was the old motel style. I shouldn't have worried because we both fell in love the minute we walked through the lobby. By the end of the week he told me that he wished I hadn't picked Riverside for our first trip because he didn't want to stay anywhere else. And he's held firm to that - each following trip he's wanted POR :) Even when I wanted to try CBR or CSR...nope it's POR all the way. I think only the Grand Floridian or Animal Kingdom Lodge would lure him away! So you can imagine his disappointment that I'm looking into staying at Pop next year for our 3 day/4 night stay at WDW before our cruise. It's a short trip and we're going to spend most of our time in the parks so I can't see spending extra for Riverside.

Skibum1970

Funny that you say that. I stressed so much over where to stay for our 2012 WDW trip (first visit ever!), read a bunch of reviews, and finally settled on Riverside. The entire drive down there I was worried the husband wouldn't like it because he had gotten used to the interior hallways and Riverside was the old motel style. I shouldn't have worried because we both fell in love the minute we walked through the lobby. By the end of the week he told me that he wished I hadn't picked Riverside for our first trip because he didn't want to stay anywhere else. And he's held firm to that - each following trip he's wanted POR :) Even when I wanted to try CBR or CSR...nope it's POR all the way. I think only the Grand Floridian or Animal Kingdom Lodge would lure him away! So you can imagine his disappointment that I'm looking into staying at Pop next year for our 3 day/4 night stay at WDW before our cruise. It's a short trip and we're going to spend most of our time in the parks so I can't see spending extra for Riverside.

Even a short trip, to me, means POR. Maybe even more so because fewer nights means that I won't save as much versus staying at a Value. I just prefer the ambiance of POR. I like walking by the river, seeing the fountains around the mansions, the river wheel, and all of it. Feels so much more relaxing. Yes, you spend most of your time in the parks. However, you can rest better at the resort at POR.

Of course, I have trouble falling asleep with too much exterior noise.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The Values do not have coffee makers in the room. And only one vanity sink.

POR is a lovely resort. Boatwrights has amazing shrimp and grits. And you get the added convenience of boats to Disney Springs. Just know that if you end up in Alligator Bayou, there are no elevators.

Go with POR.....you mom will love you. :)

LeighM

Even a short trip, to me, means POR. Maybe even more so because fewer nights means that I won't save as much versus staying at a Value. I just prefer the ambiance of POR. I like walking by the river, seeing the fountains around the mansions, the river wheel, and all of it. Feels so much more relaxing. Yes, you spend most of your time in the parks. However, you can rest better at the resort at POR.

Of course, I have trouble falling asleep with too much exterior noise.

Another reason I don't want to stay at Riverside is I'm worried that, with the major construction at Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs, more guests will avoid those resorts and stay at Riverside, thus making Riverside's buses and food court more crowded as well as increasing the noise. Depending on the rates, I might stay at Coronado even with the construction and have fingers crossed for less crowds. But what I'm really hoping is to be able to rent last minute (and cheaply discounted) DVC points :)

Skibum1970

Another reason I don't want to stay at Riverside is I'm worried that, with the major construction at Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs, more guests will avoid those resorts and stay at Riverside, thus making Riverside's buses and food court more crowded as well as increasing the noise. Depending on the rates, I might stay at Coronado even with the construction and have fingers crossed for less crowds. But what I'm really hoping is to be able to rent last minute (and cheaply discounted) DVC points :)

That is a very good point, although I really don't have a feel for the impact of the construction on resort guests. Renting DVC points would really work out. I haven't done that before but it would be tempting. Especially is you could stay at WL Villas, the EPCOT DVC's, or even Bay Lake Tower.

Weather_Lady

It's all subjective, but for my family, the extra money for a moderate is worth it, for these reasons (and I'll keep my comments specific to Port Orleans Riverside, since that's one the OP mentioned, and where my family has stayed):

- "classier" theming (by which I mean, less loud, less colorful, and more appealing to adults - whether you're in Alligator Bayou or the Mansions, PORS has beautiful grounds and lovely rooms -- we stayed in a "standard" room in Alligator Bayou that was near the preferred rooms but without the preferred room price tag, and timed our stay to coincide with a room discount that saved us about 15%)
- queen beds instead of double, and a little more space in the room (queen beds are almost a must for my 6' husband, whose feet hang off the end of full/double beds, as in the value resorts)
- two sinks in the vanity area, and a privacy screen or privacy doors to enclose it (this is a huge help when you have multiple adults in the room, trying to get ready at the same time in the morning)
- COFFEEMAKER! This is a big deal for me, as I don't want to bring my own but I couldn't do without having one in the room. Morning coffee in my PJs is one of my biggest vacation luxuries.
- on-site table-service restaurant and lounge, in addition to the food court
- in the case of PORS, the ferry boat to Disney Springs

macefamily

First off, if you're going to put five into a moderate room, forget it. My youngest was 11 yrs old and he had to sleep on a fold-out board from the wall. Access to the Disney restaurant is nice at POR, and the bar is a really fun visit at night. You also can't go wrong with the Disney transportation. We've been to the Florida parks about 17 teams over the past 21 years, and we've stayed onsite twice. Nice, but when we can use our friends' three bedroom townhouse in Kissimmee for about one fifth the price, that's our choice. To each their own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom