Is Port Orleans R worth the extra money in comparison to Pop or AoA?

LeighM

We enjoyed the stay at Riverside. The food options, boat access to DTD at the time and the lounge entertainment made for a relaxed feeling after a hectic day at the parks.

Use the bus stop near the lobby or you'll be watching full buses drive by for a while.

Within the last couple of years they changed the bus routes at Riverside. The theme park buses now go from West, North, East, South Depot. So if you wait at the South Depot for a theme park the bus will often be full or will skip the stop completely because there's no room. Disney Springs route goes from South, West, North, and East.

LeighM

We really like Riverside too, it's the DH's favorite moderate. You can never go wrong with Riverside. We also stayed at AoA last April with our youngest son's family and were pleasantly surprised at how quiet the rooms were. ( Little Mermaid buildings )No matter what, it's vacation time in WDW!

It's our favorite resort but next year we're thinking about staying at Pop :jawdrop: It's only going to be for 3-4 nights before our Disney cruise and we're going to be spending all of the time in the parks. I can't justify spending more on a resort we're not going to be at much. My husband doesn't want us to go to WDW again until 2021 for their 50th anniversary bc he needs a break :)eek:!!!) and I'm looking forward to trying Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach renovations are complete. Or rent DVC points. I'm still a year away from the 2018 trip and I'm already thinking about 2021 LOL.

Rodb

Within the last couple of years they changed the bus routes at Riverside. The theme park buses now go from West, North, East, South Depot. So if you wait at the South Depot for a theme park the bus will often be full or will skip the stop completely because there's no room. Disney Springs route goes from South, West, North, and East.

when were there in may 2016; the south bus stop (which is the main one/front of resort) was always the best bet for going to the parks since it went south first and would skip the other stops if it filled up (mk -usually all of the mornings). It is hard to imagine that they wouldn't make the main depot the first pick up location (atleast in the morning)???

LeighM

when were there in may 2016; the south bus stop (which is the main one/front of resort) was always the best bet for going to the parks since it went south first and would skip the other stops if it filled up (mk -usually all of the mornings). It is hard to imagine that they wouldn't make the main depot the first pick up location (atleast in the morning)???

I was there in October 2016 and the South Depot was always the last bus stop for the theme parks. No matter the time of day we were catching the bus.

LeighM

Here's the update according to the Port Orleans unofficial website:

The routes taken by buses used to vary significantly by park, but as from December 2015 a new simpler routing plan has been introduced. If a combined service is operating, the shared buses will call first at French Quarter, then progress on to the Riverside stops. Within Riverside, theme park buses now call at the West Depot first, then North Depot and EastDepot, and finally the South Depot before departing for the park.

In an effort to reduce overcrowding and wait times during the peak demand period, it was announced in December 2016 that the service from Riverside to the Magic Kingdom would be operated using two separate buses from roughly 8am until 11am. The first bus will serve the South Depot only, and the other will cater solely for the three outlying circle Depots, West, North and East. This should make using the outlying stops a much more attractive proposition for guests visiting the Magic Kingdom in the morning.

The_Bellringer

Original Poster
"Worth It"?? Worth is a personal issue because what one sees as a higher value another may not. Things to keep in mind when asking or answering if something is worth it doesn't always mean financially. When comparing POP or AoA to POR, you should look at everything to determine which is a better stay.

My wife and I were debating over the exact same resorts as you are and we picked POR. Here is what we looked at to help determined worth for us:

All those resorts are on the bus system but POR has an added benefit of being on the boat system to get to and from Disney Springs. We greatly enjoy heading to DS after the parks close and going by boat is (and was) less of a hassle then going by bus. Nicer rooms?...well yes the Moderate rate resorts have nicer beds and bathrooms but like one person previously said, how time do you really spend in the rooms. For us, it is just a place to sleep and nicer bed are important for that. Also, either way you look at, it is still just a "motel" room. We stayed in Alligator Bayou and the rooms were comfortable and we asked for a corner room so as to have two windows but it was still a "motel" room with more theming. So, for us, the ability to get to DS for a drink, dinner and walking around with ease was more important than everything else so therefore; POR was "worth it" for us because of that.

As someone had mentioned, our room in Alligator Bayou was close to the bus stop and the buses always seemed empty so there was no waiting to find a seat and the bus ran frequently. We like Epcot a lot so POR was about a 10 minute bus ride to Epcot and HS and about 15 minutes to MK but about 20 minutes to AK.
I definitely think we won't be spending tons of time in the rooms, but I would love to maybe schedule an off-day where we go to a water park, chill at the hotel and go to Disney springs. I think POR would be better for this.

drwadadli

Don't quote me on this, but I think they are also part of the Epcot Resort Loop, along with Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk ,that can walk to the park.
You are correct. They are part of the "Epcot Resort Loop" so you can walk from the Swan and Dolphin to both Epcot and HS.

The_Bellringer

Original Poster
You are correct. They are part of the "Epcot Resort Loop" so you can walk from the Swan and Dolphin to both Epcot and HS.
I'm seeing rates for like 213 a night for these with the teachers discounts. Will I notice a big difference not being in a Disney hotel? It seems these also have free boats and busses to all the parks...

EDIT: just saw there's a 25$ daily resort fee... slightly annoying

Last edited:

drwadadli

I'm seeing rates for like 213 a night for these with the teachers discounts. Will I notice a big difference not being in a Disney hotel? It seems these also have free boats and busses to all the parks...

EDIT: just saw there's a 25$ daily resort fee... slightly annoying
As far as I know, one major difference between the Swan/Dolphin and the other resorts on property is that the Swan/Dolphin don't get Disney Magical Express from the Orlando Airport to the resort and back. You still get use of free bus and boat transportation, package delivery from the park to the resort, and the My Way ticket options. By staying at the Swan/Dolphin and if you don't want to walk to Epcot and/or HS then you can take the boat

Minnesota disney fan

I want to go on a Disney World Vacation next year with my family, as we have never been before. We are tight on money, but still want this to be nice. Looking at prices of the hotels kind of scares me, and while Pop isn't too expensive (nor Art), I feel like my parents might not like the motel-ish feel of them.

Is the extra cash for the moderates really worth it? Does Pop and Art really feel "cheap"? My mom is kinda picky with hotels....

Thanks!

Hi bellringer: Our family always picks POR. It is our home away from home. We look forward to it's tropical feel, in AB, with it's winding paths, small bridges, tropical plants, quiet pools nestled in around the setting. The look and feel of AB section is perfect for us. Part of our vacation is staying in an area like this. We love the whole atmosphere of the place. But we've never stayed on the mansion side, as our tastes are more tropical, relaxed. The mansions have a more structured , manicured vibe. There is a lot to do, including the boat ride to DS and horse carriage rides, in addition to all the other activities. To us, the ambience means a lot. We spend a lot of time in the parks, but we enjoy our time spent in POR. It's just part of our vacation. We are older, seniors, so maybe your parents would like a quieter, more relaxed, beautiful setting? I don't know? But we will always stay at POR. Hope this helps.

The_Bellringer

Original Poster
Hi bellringer: Our family always picks POR. It is our home away from home. We look forward to it's tropical feel, in AB, with it's winding paths, small bridges, tropical plants, quiet pools nestled in around the setting. The look and feel of AB section is perfect for us. Part of our vacation is staying in an area like this. We love the whole atmosphere of the place. But we've never stayed on the mansion side, as our tastes are more tropical, relaxed. The mansions have a more structured , manicured vibe. There is a lot to do, including the boat ride to DS and horse carriage rides, in addition to all the other activities. To us, the ambience means a lot. We spend a lot of time in the parks, but we enjoy our time spent in POR. It's just part of our vacation. We are older, seniors, so maybe your parents would like a quieter, more relaxed, beautiful setting? I don't know? But we will always stay at POR. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for your response! That does sound lovely. I think it would be worth it to save a little more to make our stay extra special. It's been ages since my parents have had a nice vacation and I think they would absolutely love what you've just described.

drwadadli

I totally agree!!!!!

BigRedDad

It all comes down to how you value your money or if you like Disney valuing it for you. I would weigh the amount of space you need, how much time you will spend in the room, how much time you will spend at the resort, and what you want out of your vacation. When staying onsite, we do not need all of the amenities. However, when we can get a DVC rental for the price of a Value, we hop on it. With the price of a Moderate, there is no reason to go to one when you can get a DVC rental cheaper through owners.

jasmine217

I love Riverside! To me and my husband, the price has always been worth it to stay there during longer trips. It has the bigger beds (queens vs full), 2 sinks, and more amenities. The first bus stop for theme parks at Riverside is actually the west depot. If you're concerned about the lines for buses, I would request a room in Alligator Bayou near that bus stop. The bus is always empty so you get your choice of seats and it's the first stop when dropping off. We loved it! It is a further walk from the main lobby though. But it depends on if you're planning on staying more at the resort. Another great location was building 85 in the Magnolia Bend section. It was close to the 3rd bus stop on the theme park loop, East Depot, and a shorter walk over Old Man Island to get to the lobby, restaurants, and boat for Disney Springs.

You guys sound like clones of my husband and me! This is why we're staying at POR for the second time in a row. You caught onto our best-kept secret about the West bus depot - we were randomly placed nearby on our next trip and we loved being able to hop on an empty bus just steps outside our door each day, so we're requesting that again. It is a longer walk to the lobby though, so consequently, we didn't use our refillable mugs as much because it was so out of the way.

Rodb

You guys sound like clones of my husband and me! This is why we're staying at POR for the second time in a row. You caught onto our best-kept secret about the West bus depot - we were randomly placed nearby on our next trip and we loved being able to hop on an empty bus just steps outside our door each day, so we're requesting that again. It is a longer walk to the lobby though, so consequently, we didn't use our refillable mugs as much because it was so out of the way.

they still have a dedicated bus for early mornings going to magic kingdom that goes to the south depot first which works out well if you are staying in the manors

Minnesota disney fan

Shhh, keep the West Depot secret! But I think the secret's out. This February, there were people who walked over from all over the resort to get on at West. The buses got crowded, so it's no longer a secret at all

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom