Is Orlando getting too big?

M

Mr Lightbeer

Original Poster
When we first went to Orlando, Universal Studios had just opened and Disney M.G.M. opened shortly after.There was the one water park in the shape of Typhoon Lagoon and not much else.Now with all the recent expansion and rumours of even more building, do you think it's becoming too big? We now need three weeks to cram it all in and sadly dont get much free time to just relax and enjoy the break from work.In fact most people say they need a vacation shortly after a trip to Orlando.We thought we'd give it a break for a while till we heard about Mission Space,now we'll probably go in 2003.

For first timers like Paul (chuffer), it must be mind boggling especially when you think Paul comes from Blackburn( ;) )For a two week trip where do you start and what do you leave out.It's like children on Christmas day,they get that much that their minds can't cope.There is no way first timers will get to see everything and they'll probably not see anything of the real Florida,which is sad ,it's not all Mickey Mouse and E.T.

We are in the process of doing our itinerary and are struggling to fit in the likes of the Kennedy Space Center and Gatorland.Busch Gardens is history and we love to shop but don't have much time set aside for that.It's increased tenfold in the last ten years ,what will it be like in another ten.Gees I'm starting to sound like wdwcritic,so hey enough of my yacking,whadya say ,lets boogie!

Attachments

• mickey005.gif
    mickey005.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 193

markymark

Cerveza Ligera!

GREAT "TAP" QUOTE. (Hero!! Hero!!)
I agree, we are going next year with my sister in law, husband & 2 kids (There will be 9 of us in total with 5 having gone before). We have tried to explain just how much there is to do. We worked on the basic

2 days MK
1 day Studios
1 day AK
1 day EC (I know, not enough but bare with me)
1 day Blizzard Beach
1 day Typhoon Lagoon
1 day IOA
1 day USF
1 day SW
1 day Busch Gardens
1 day Kennedy Space Centre

That on it's own is 12 days, and they are only going to be there 14 nights. And I am sure that they will want to do more than just 1 day in DS,EC, and AK. So thats it, 14 nights without really having the chance to chill out. It's not too bad for those of us who have been before, we are quite happy to show the "new boys" around, plus we are going out 3 days early! But there is 4 of them and it's would be too pricey to go for the extra 3 days.
Then there is the cost of all these things as well. Don't get me wrong I love Orlando, but I agree with you, that for a first time visitor, it must be mind boggling (not difficult if you are from Blackburn !! ;) ). Thats obviously why so many people keep going back.

ps I think MGM opened first (1989)

M

Mr Lightbeer

Original Poster
re.MGM opening first

What do you expect,I'm just a scumbag member for the moment,by the time I'm earning my ears you'll be Sir Markymark of Disney World.Jay however will always be a scumbag no matter how many posts he has ;) .

Mrs Lightbeer is getting very concerned with our mutual hobbies i.e L.F.C. Disney and now Spinal Tap,next you'll be saying that you too like do dress up in little cocktail frocks on a Friday night and answer to the name of Beryl. Jay or should I say Barbara as he likes to be known sent me a P.M. saying he too does this but usually on a Monday evening.

Attachments

• mickey005.gif
    mickey005.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 193

markymark

Now this is just getting spooky, Beryl. You can find me down the Grafton shaking my funky thang on down. I answer to the name of Audrey!

MISS MINNIE

Is orlando getting too big??

Oh you too should be a double act (lol)

Anyway back to the Subject in question..

Yes it is getting more and more difficult to fit everything in.. Even the 5 park Orlando Flex tickets are valid for 21 days now!!

Jayne - Bham UK

Tramp

Back in '77, we couldn't believe how spacious and pleasant it was to drive on I-4. Can't say that 24 years later! The traffic is wall to wall most times of the day. And there are sections that are 5 lanes wide on one side!

7-10 days use to be sufficient...you need a minimum of two weeks and preferably 3 weeks so you don't have to kill yourself.
If you come often enough, perhaps it would be better to skip non-Disney attractions every other year...like Universal or Busch. This may be tough on the Brits who spend a whole lot of money to get here and want to see everything.

I realize everything changes but don't you ask yourself when will it end....does it ever end? Disney has done a remarkable job at building the infrastructure around the property to handle the volume of people but you get the distinct impression it can't handle anymore. Yet, the building goes on! Just when you think you've seen the last Disney hotel go up, POP, here comes another.

jay_london

What a stupid question lightbeer, oops i mean beryl, the bigger the better, more to do, more choice, more reasons to go back!

And by the way just because my mum used to dress me in my older sisters' clothes when i was young, doesn't mean to say that I still xdress.

jay

Disney Maniac

Every time we go to Disney World, we never go off property, so we can get a lot more done. I really don't think that WDW is getting too big, just all the surrounding areas. There is so much there now that even if you live there, it's still impossible to get everything done in a year.:rolleyes:

DisneyFreak

Ah, memories of a much smaller "World". I still remember my first trip back in 1979. All there was was the MK, Contemporary, Polynesian, the Golf Resort, Campground, Disney Villas and treehouses. Then you had Discovery Island and River Country and the Marketplace. When you used to turn into the main drive off of 192 it seemed to take forever before you saw the entrance gate to the MK.

I feel at times that WDW is getting to big. There is so much to do with so little time. My wife and I are a little lucky in that way though. Both my Mother and Sister are Vacation Club members so we usually get down there at least once a year. Back in December of 1999 we stayed at the Polynesian (5th anniversary gift from Mom) and we didn't even go into the parks. We found enough to do around the "World" to fill the 6 days we had there. Waterparks, horseback riding, Downtown Disney, Pleasure Island, Disney Quest, etc. We knew that we'd be back that summer with a group of us so we didn't miss going into the parks.

But for families that can't get there that often and the costs of everything it really becomes difficult for some people. When is enough building going to be enough? Are they going to develope the entire 42 square miles? I don't think Walt wanted that.

woofboy111

Originally posted by sillyspook13
Orlando is not getting too big, just too entertaining.

Living by it, I sometimes think it's getting too big, and not just in the amusement industry. I think it's getting too big in everything. 5 years ago, a small town by the name of lake Mary, which is about 20 miles away from disney, was all farmlands. Today, it's all housing developments. I personally don't mind all of the theme parks that are goingg up, because they are all in one area, but the houses, and all of the people comeing to florida to live...The way its going, in 20 years thered won't be a tree standing!

I guess if you don't live in the area you wouldn't know, but if you've lived here for a while, and have watched it change, most people would ratehere have those forests and farmlands left. Just my opionin.

Attachments

• sorcerermickey.gif
    sorcerermickey.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 112

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom