Is online check-in worth it?

bethymouse

I guess I'm an outsider on this one. I like the interaction with the front desk. I request a specific room, and most times I get what I want, sometimes even better (upgrade).:joyfull: We don't head to the parks immediately. We do use the bell services to take our bags to our room. It all depends on what you like to do.;)

JasonDeyoung

What do you mean "drop my bags"? Is there a place to leave luggage without going to a desk? We are driving down, arriving before noon, and were planning to eat at DS and do some shopping before the room was ready. With online check-in, do we have the option of leaving the bag somewhere at the resort? Also, with online check-in, are the meal plans active immediately?
Yup each resort has a bell/luggage service desk normally outside by the entrance you can leave your bags at and they'll bring them to your room if it's ready before u return or u can pick it up when u return to the resort. I drive over (I live in Tampa) and if I don't get a text by time I arrive I drop them off at that desk and hop in the bus to the park :)

DisneyGigi

If you do online check in and will have your magic bands mailed before arrival you will receive a text with your room number and you are able to go straight to your room instead of stopping at the desk. This may be worth it if you plan on going to the parks on your arrival day. I always use online check in and never had any issues.
Works great unless you are doing the dining plan. Pin would not work and we had to leave the the park starving at linch because they cannot reset it via phone, ap or at guest relations. Only your resort can do that. It was a pain. I will still do online check in but will double check everything is okay at front desk before assuming it is.

dvitali

I love on line check in and Disney Magical Express when I go to Disney. I check my luggages at the airport (Hartford CT.) Just bring my travel papers as carry on the plane. When I arrive in Orlando I receive my text message from Disney with my room number then board the Magical Express and then travel to my resort. Go directly to my room to drop off my carry on and head to to the parks within a hour or two from touching down at the airport (about 12 noon). After a day at my favorite park I return to my room and find my luggages that I have not seen since Hartford already in my room.

TXDisney

If you book online I believe you have to pay for the whole thing at once. This is excluding tickets bc you can purchase them anytime but it's good to do in advance. If you book online they only make you put $200 down on the resort or 1 nights stay if more I believe. For someone like me it works best for me to book in advance pay that 1 nights stay over the phone then I know I have to save money. I'll but flights and tickets as I save as well.

bee

If you book online I believe you have to pay for the whole thing at once. This is excluding tickets bc you can purchase them anytime but it's good to do in advance. If you book online they only make you put $200 down on the resort or 1 nights stay if more I believe. For someone like me it works best for me to book in advance pay that 1 nights stay over the phone then I know I have to save money. I'll but flights and tickets as I save as well.
That's not what OP is asking. After you book and link the reservation to your account you have the option to check in online to request things like early check in and certain areas of the resort.

Booking online is no different from booking on the phone in terms of payment. I have made reservations both ways and for a room only stay you only pay the first night's stay regardless.

Doug Means

Note that if you opt for "direct to room" you will not receive the packet given at check-in which includes a parking pass, Times Guide for the parks and resort-specific information, like the recreation calendar. If you don't need or want these items, "direct to room" is the way to go.

If you choose online check in, you will stop at the special online desk (the line is usually shorter than regular check in) and will be given the informational packet.
my last 2 trips we stayed at the AoA and used the online check in. the first time they had a special desk for us that wasn't much faster than regular check-in, but AoA had just opened. the 2nd time, not only did i get a text, while on the magic express (we were there at 9am), saying that our room wasn't ready yet, and that we could drop any bags at the front desk if we needed to, but we were met as we got off the bus by a CM with a packet of all wee needed. we didn't even have to go into the lobby area if we didn't need too. plus as we stepped off the bus another text came saying the room was ready. why not use it, if you need to stop at the front desk, you still can.

BrianV

Have never done online checkin. Can you make room requests on it? (Understood that requests aren't always honored, just wondering if there is a spot.)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Have never done online checkin. Can you make room requests on it? (Understood that requests aren't always honored, just wondering if there is a spot.)
You can, but it is always better to have any room requests on your reservation when you make it.

StarshipDisney

On-Line check-in at Disney is new to me. Not sure they had it during our last visit in 2010. If they did then I missed it. Not sure if I want to use it now or not.

Does anyone know if the computer will police the "paid for" reservation. What I mean by that is that I booked/paid for a Club Level (12th floor) Magic Kingdom view room in the Contemporary Resort Tower. I am pretty sure there are only 24 rooms on the 12th floor Magic Kingdom side.

Would the computer know/see that and assign a room accordingly?

Thanks.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If you do early check in can you still request certain room preferences?
Yes, but there is a bit of a catch.

You can request whatever you want, but honoring it can lower the probability of the room being ready yearly.

For example....Lest say you made no special requests and arrived at your resort at 7:00 AM. There is a room available. Since you made no requests they can put you in the room they have open immediately.

or....

You requested a room near parking and on the ground floor and also arrived at 7:00 AM. There are rooms currently available, but none meet your requests. There is however one that is not ready yet that will meet your requests. In that situation you will most likely be told that your room is not ready yet.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
On-Line check-in at Disney is new to me. Not sure they had it during our last visit in 2010. If they did then I missed it. Not sure if I want to use it now or not.

Does anyone know if the computer will police the "paid for" reservation. What I mean by that is that I booked/paid for a Club Level (12th floor) Magic Kingdom view room in the Contemporary Resort Tower. I am pretty sure there are only 24 rooms on the 12th floor Magic Kingdom side.

Would the computer know/see that and assign a room accordingly?

Thanks.
Absolutely. Mistakes do happen, but you have paid for a particular room category and location which makes it a guarantee, not a request.

Online check in will not take a reservation for a club level, theme park view room at the Contemporary and randomly just place you in the garden wing.

If there is an issue and that room is not available the number one reason is a room being unexpectedly removed from inventory. In that case, Disney will do whatever they can to make you happy.

oceanbreeze77

Yes, but there is a bit of a catch.

You can request whatever you want, but honoring it can lower the probability of the room being ready yearly.

For example....Lest say you made no special requests and arrived at your resort at 7:00 AM. There is a room available. Since you made no requests they can put you in the room they have open immediately.

or....

You requested a room near parking and on the ground floor and also arrived at 7:00 AM. There are rooms currently available, but none meet your requests. There is however one that is not ready yet that will meet your requests. In that situation you will most likely be told that your room is not ready yet.
Okay so If I am not planning on arriving to the resort until around 7PM will they give away my room?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom