Is it just me or is getting hired for a corporate job at Disney impossible?

Mac4life30

Original Poster
I live in Miami and last year I started applying in March for a job with Disney. I only applied for corporate jobs that I knew I was qualified for. I eventually applied for DCL call center which was as low on the entry level to totem-pole I was willing to go. They called me in for an interview however offered me a lower position in reservations than the one I applied for.

Now I have 12 years of experience working for a cruise line out of which 4 were spent in the reservations department. So to have received the offer I got was sort of an insult. I however kept my mouth shut but ended up working at the Disney Store part time. I figured this be a great way to get my foot in the door and also apply for any internal position that got posted.

I have again began applying and since May I have applied to a total of 31 different jobs. Not one time have I received a call. I have applied for positions in which my resume has matched almost word for word what the requirements were and still nothing. So I confused since I have many years of experience working for a cruise line, working in the travel industry and now being a cast member and I still fail to get a single interview.

Anyone had any luck or know of anyone who was hired by Disney for anything other than entry level, minimum wage theme park operations?

disney4life2008

I do not mean to sound crude but you may want to look for other travel industry postings. I know working for disney would be a dream but you should not limit yourself.

Mac4life30

Original Poster
No worries you can say anything.

I want to move to Orlando and one of my main motivations is to continue doing what I do now but for Disney.

MMDVC

Obviously Disney is not going to pay airfare and hotel expenses for entry level position/interviews; but I agree it is very frustrating for you and a return phone call would be expected. Let us know if you unlock the secret.
Lots of luck.

BigThunderMatt

Disney rarely hires for anything higher than entry level externally. There are a few exceptions but getting into a supervisory or executive role typically requires years of brown-nosing and doing temporary position after temporary position with no guarantee of permanent placement until they find the "right fit" for you (translation: someone left or transferred to a different department leaving an opening and you were conveniently available to fill the position).

rob0519

I know the low level reservations job may have been an insult, but if it was a full time position, it would have been a better place from which to post for other full time internal postitions than a part time retail position in a Disney Store if you were able to live on the salary. There are a number of reasons your resume can get passed over; under educated, over educated, not currently living in the area, etc. Some resume scanners have a point system based on keywords. If the resume doesn't register say 16 out of 20 required keywords, it gets passed. Some systems will flag your name after "x" number of entries in the certain time period.

You matched 31 job requirements on your resumes. Did your work experience match all 31 as well? If not, that could be another reason. You say Corporate Job without mentioning a specific job or field. Try locating a name inside Disney in the field or department that interests you and write them a letter indicating your interest in working for the company. It coulnd't hurt. Best of luck.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Disney is very much a believer in promoting from within. When they open positions to external candidates, they know that they will have the cream of the crop apply - and that's who they picked.

If anything whatsover on your resume isn't up to snuff, that's what did it.

Ariel484

The one person I know that works for Disney had a professional internship with them first...so that fits with what everyone else is saying, that Disney hires internally. Good luck!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I personally know of only 3 people that were hired directly into professional roles, and in one of the cases, it was a step down from their previous experience.

1- WDW Attorney. Worked at senior corporate counsel for a Fortune 50 company for 15 years before applying at Disney. Perfect references, LLM, and a graduate of a top-10 law school (both JD and LLM)

2- WDW CPA. Recruited straight from grad school at Rollins. Had over 10 years experience working as an accountant in a corporate environment.

3- WDW Entertainment Manager. Worked as a show director for another theme park company before Disney snatched them. Previous experience on Broadway and un touring productions. Has an MFA. This was the step down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom