Is it just me, or does it seem like Aladdin is not apart of Disneyworld?

yensidtlaw

Original Poster
Okay, so ever since I was a kid, Aladdin has always been one of my favorite disney movies. I'm not sure on this but I would have to imagine that Aladdin is one of Disneys top 5 movies ever. Yet, they have nothing to do with Aladdin in the parks. Besides the 'dumbo-like' flying carpet ride in MK, Jasmine/Genie/Aladdin signing autographs here and there, and the out-of-date disneyquest carpet ride, theres nothing else to be found. You would imagine that they could do some good and popular stuff with Aladdin too. Things like a thrill-ride magic carpet ride through the cave of wonders or battling Jafar as a snake (like in the end of the movie) or anything of that nature. The movie even has pretty decent music too that they could use. I dont know if there is something else that I am missing, but it just seems alittle weird to me that they would not incorporate such a highly favored movie into the parks alittle more.

Hot4Hudgens

Yeah, sadly, Aladdin is one of a few classic Disney movies that seems to get shafted in favor of, oh, I don't know...Stitch?! I feel same exact way about The Lion King. Bleh. Anyway, at least Aladdin has its own little spot in MK, though there's nothing special or original about it. I don't know how likely Aladdin is to get a brand new attraction - probably slim to none. It was released quite some time ago and it's pretty safe to say that Disney's more interested in shoving more Pixar related attractions down our throats than those that focus on some of the classic hand-drawn films.

Beckei

Aladdin is definitely my favorite non princess! Well, Jasmine is a princess, but I've always been a little hostile towards her for some reason :king:. Don't worry though!! When I get in good with the Imagineers, I'll throw a few suggestions their way! haha :sohappy:

Captain Hank

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. There's the Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Agrabah Bazaar, Aladdin on the "Flights of Fancy" float in the MK daytime parade, a segment in Mickey's Phillharmagic, Aladdin/Jasmine/Genie meet and greet area in Morrocco, Genie on the Silly Symphonies Spectromagic float, a pretty long segment in both Fantasmic and Wishes and the DisneyQuest Magic Carpet ride and Cybrolator. That's a fair bit more than many popular Disney movies. Also, Disney's California Adventure has an Aladdin musical.

By the way, welcome to WDWMagic! :wave:

Hot4Hudgeons said:
I feel same exact way about The Lion King.
Well, there's Festival of the Lion King, Circle of Life, up until fairly recently: Legend of the Lion King (replaced by Mickey's Phillharmagic, which contains a Lion King segment), numerous meet-and-greets with Timon and Rafiki and Rafiki's Planet Watch.

Hot4Hudgens

Well, there's Festival of the Lion King, Circle of Life, up until fairly recently: Legend of the Lion King (replaced by Mickey's Phillharmagic, which contains a Lion King segment), numerous meet-and-greets with Timon and Rafiki and Rafiki's Planet Watch.

Eh, yeah...I guess I just kind of overlook those because I don't usually make it a point to visit those kinds of attractions (shows/walkthroughs) but you have a point. I'd still love to see LK be a bigger part of WDW in general.

Tarzan513

100% agreed on this one!! While I agree that there are specific floats or "pop" ups in various Disney parades and attractions, I feel like that can be said for most movies or characters. This movie is great with wonderful music and very likable charecters. However, I fear that this movie is now too old and lost its power with the younger crowd. Unfortunately this one might have slipped through the cracks.

Chernabog

It's not just Aladdin. Let's think about it.
The Little Mermaid, which basically restarted the comapny and the animation department, has a meet-n-greet at Mk and a fairly poor show at the Studios.
Lion King only has a show at DAK
Beauty and the Beast has had the same show since the movei came out and it's been made shorter and worse in later years.
Classic movies like Peter Pan, Cinderella, Snow White, Pinnochio only have 1 attraction or maybe a restaurant named after them.
And what about all the movies with nothing... Fantasia and anything from 43-50, and then nothing from 59-88, and really any movie since 94 got a parade or stage show that has since been closed if anything at all.

There simply isn't room for all these rides and shows. Don't take it personally, be glad there is what there is for your favorite. At least Aladdin got made into 3 films to watch;)

NiarrNDisney

And what about all the movies with nothing... Fantasia and anything from 43-50, and then nothing from 59-88, and really any movie since 94 got a parade or stage show that has since been closed if anything at all.

As for Fantasia, I know its not necesarily an attraction within the park but it is definitely featured at Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf. Which is beautiful and a bunch of fun, if your a fan of Fantasia I would highly recommend spending a lazy afternoon or evening there.

Missing20K

It's not just Aladdin. Let's think about it.
The Little Mermaid, which basically restarted the comapny and the animation department, has a meet-n-greet at Mk and a fairly poor show at the Studios.
Lion King only has a show at DAK
Beauty and the Beast has had the same show since the movei came out and it's been made shorter and worse in later years.
Classic movies like Peter Pan, Cinderella, Snow White, Pinnochio only have 1 attraction or maybe a restaurant named after them.

There simply isn't room for all these rides and shows. Don't take it personally, be glad there is what there is for your favorite. At least Aladdin got made into 3 films to watch;)

Not to pick bones just throwing some information out there:

43-50:
The Three Caballeros (1943) - Mexico,
Song of the South (1946) - Splash Mountain
Cinderella (1950) - Cindy's Castle
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949) - Mr. Toad's Wild Ride(deceased)

That period, while not as well represented as others in the Disney filmography, still has a few attractions that showcase the films. The period from 1959-1988 is woefully under-represented however. With the exception of Sleeping Beauty's castle in DL, and Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse in WDW, there aren't really any attractions based on films of this period. And it's not for lack of material as there are many classics from that era.

EDIT: I assume your period from 1994 until the present doesn't include Pixar releases. Otherwise there are more...

hwdelien

Jasmine is officially one of the princesses though. But, you're right, the flying carpet ride is a sad representation don't forget the new management of the Tiki room. But then, Dumbo is poorly represented and Alice in Wonderland only has the Tea Cups.

yensidtlaw

Original Poster
I guess my point that really didn’t get across too well is that most rides seem to have at least one major attraction to bring attention, yet Aladdin has nothing. And yes, a lot of other films have nothing as well. It just seems that (not to be offend anybody or anything) that most everyone posting and replying to threads on this site are relatively old (25+), but lets face it, as much as we all love Disney, its truly for children. Yet, over the years Disney hasn’t been updated very well, and as a result the children have a tougher time relating to some of the rides and shows. Most kids nowadays aren’t watching Peter Pan or Snow White, their watching Cars, Ratatouille, The Incredibles, ect. I know we have to reserve the classic culture that Walt Disney helped to create, but we also have to concentrate on what it was created for, and that is bringing joy to kids. It seems that as time continues to pass, us parents will still find Disneyworld enjoyable, however children will begin to find it further from their knowledge and become more uninterested than ever.

slappy magoo

I think part of the problem is that there's only so many attractions (at the time) and so many movies from which to derive attractions, not to mention rides that are not based on films (or attractions that inspired films, like HM, PotC). And as others have pointed out, other movies from that era don't have much more than Aladdin represented at the parks.

So be creative: What would you like to see based on Aladdin? I'm guessing, because of the initial criticism of cultural insensitivity that greeted the film, we might not ever see anything in the Morocco pavilion at Epcot.

epcotWSC

It would be nice to see more attractions based on Disney movies, animated and not. There are quite a few attractions that don't have a Disney theme at all.

It's actually surprising to see so little for Aladdin, Beauty & the Beast, Little Mermaid, Lion King and all of those other late 80s/90s Disney hits.

scottnj1966

Maybe one day someone that runs WDW will go back to building rides based on Disney movies.
At least they have not forgotten completely but I think all the rides should have something to do with them.

yensidtlaw

Original Poster
Totally agree, it seems- Rock n rollercoaster, great ride> no Disney connection. Everest- another great ride> no Disney connection. Mission Space, very fun> no Disney connection, Mission Space, Test Track, Tower of Terror, Space mountain, Dinosaur> all recent E-ticket attractions without a Disney connection. Now I don't expect them to all relate to Disney movies or for them to go back and remodel them, but in the future they could definitely start to link them with a Disney theme more.

RandeB

Where's anything devoted to my childhood favorite (Jungle Book) or my adult one (The Incredibles)?

A couple of characters you can high five, that's about it.

Philo

Aladdin has a show during Pirates and Princess Parties. I think the name was Aladdins Royal Guard Training???

I wasn't too impressed with it but still another Aladdin attraction there for ya.

Ilovewishes

As for Fantasia, I know its not necesarily an attraction within the park but it is definitely featured at Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf. Which is beautiful and a bunch of fun, if your a fan of Fantasia I would highly recommend spending a lazy afternoon or evening there.

I love Fantasia Mini Golf! And if you go in the evening, you get to listen to - and watch the back of - Fantasmic! I was so over the moon when we discovered that!!:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom