Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

dennis-in-ct

Ministry of Magic has not been announced yet. But they did announce that this is the last year for Bill & Ted's which is in the Fear Factor Live Theater which is where MoM is going. So we have confirmation something is happening there. But no official announcement about MoM yet. Universal wants to bookend SW:GE with a double whammy of Potter up front and Super Nintendo World at the rear.

Comcast ain't playin'.

I thought the Secret Life Of Pets attraction was going in the Bill and Ted theater area?
How is Ministry of Magic going there?

Mike S

You might have a point if the selection of Indy merch was actually decent. It's mostly some shirts using the Raiders poster art, hats, and a handful of toys.

Also, dinosaurs are some of the most marketable creatures in the animal kingdom.
This is true even at Disneyland. I was so bummed two years ago when I went for the first time and there were no "Indiana Jones Adventure" specific shirts. Just the same stuff as DHS. I ended up buying a limited edition 20th anniversary shirt online because there was nothing close to it available in the actual park.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
That's the problem right there. This is a THEME issue, not a design aesthetic issue. Animal Kingdom's theme is the intrinsic value of nature.
You're only thinking of the manifestation theme. Although I'll agree that the manifestation theme of Animal Kingdom is not quite the right fit, in themed entertainment you need something called the dramatic theme as well. That's what drives the conflict in the story you are trying to tell. The dramatic theme of Animal Kingdom is Man vs. Nature. Nature always wins in this story, and really Nature (even supernatural nature) tends to win in the Indiana Jones stories. And yes, Joe Rohde has continually said this.

The Duck

Simple solution:
Indiana Jones 5 sees Dr. Jones heading off to the Congo River basin in search of the "one who stops the flow of rivers," also known as Mokele-Mbembe.
Disney's already been to this well before, certainly you all remember 1985's "Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend."
I'm afraid that I do remember "Baby". My guess is that Disney is still trying to forget it.

the.dreamfinder

You're only thinking of the manifestation theme. Although I'll agree that the manifestation theme of Animal Kingdom is not quite the right fit, in themed entertainment you need something called the dramatic theme as well. That's what drives the conflict in the story you are trying to tell. The dramatic theme of Animal Kingdom is Man vs. Nature. Nature always wins in this story, and really Nature (even supernatural nature) tends to win in the Indiana Jones stories. And yes, Joe Rohde has continually said this.
The conflict in the Indy films centers on modern man and ancient man and the failure of the former in understanding the latter in conquests for their knowledge and powers. The earth may be reclaiming the spaces where these conflicts take place, but they are firmly the creations of men.

Last edited:

No Name

If they insist on sticking with an exctinct animals land, I think it should be renamed Pangaea. That flows well with the name Pandora and broadens the area to be about more than just dinosaurs. And they could do away with the modern-day setting.

Though I'd prefer them go the South America route.

But I really, really don't like DinoLand USA. However, regardless of what they do, dinosaurs should certainly still have a major attraction.

I don't think nature wins in Dinosaur, which bothers me. The ending should just be that we escaped, not that we managed to bring back the dinosaur we were looking for.

Last edited:

CanadianGordon

Honestly as much as I like Indy, I think the idea stinks. I dislike copying rides for the sake of seeming like it's a "new" update when in fact it's a cop out.
I like Dinosaurs. I'd like to visit Disneyland one day.
I don't want to have the same experience when I go to a different park...
Kind of defeats the purpose really. It would just make me skip the ride if I've already ridden it elsewhere. I hope this is just a rumour, and goes away. There's tons of other space to add to DAK. Build something new.

jimbojones

If they insist on sticking with an exctinct animals land, I think it should be renamed Pangaea. That flows well with the name Pandora and broadens the area to be about more than just dinosaurs. And they could do away with the modern-day setting.

Though I'd prefer them go the South America route.

But I really, really don't like DinoLand USA. However, regardless of what they do, dinosaurs should certainly still have a major attraction.

I don't think nature wins in Dinosaur, which bothers me. The ending should just be that we escaped, not that we managed to bring back the dinosaur we were looking for.

I think I am the only one on earth who likes Dinoland, in fact I absolutely love it! If you have traveled rt 66 or been to the badlands or Dinosaur National Monument , dinoland just captures that vibe perfectly. Its not quite cars land but I would be sad to see it go. AK is IMHO the best of the parks at WDW , it has the most immersive and detailed themeing of all the WDW parks, and although Dinoland is cheesier feeling, that is part of what it gets pitch perfect about those parts of the US. It feels like a real tourist trap on RT 66 or something like Wall Drug.

Mike S

As long as they find a way to keep Dinosaurs I'm game. Even if it's starting anew in the expansion plot.

MUTZIE77

I would love an Indy land, but not at the expense of Dinoland USA. All they need to do is keep the Dino theme and add another attraction to accompany Dinosaur. The obvious choice for Indy placement would be where Indy currently exists in DHS. Unfortunately the Bobs aren't into obvious placements like Mickey going in the animation courtyard, Guardians going to DHS, or Frozen to Fantasyland. I guess we will be seeing promotions for riding Dinosaur before it is extinct in the future.

Casper Gutman

Supernatural nature... doesn't make any sense. The supernatural is BEYOND nature - it's right there in the name. The two concepts are entirely opposed - what is natural cannot be supernatural.

No matter how much you contort it, Indy does not fit the theme of AK. In fact, it conflicts with it. It would be like taking EPCOT, a park dedicated to science and the achievable results of human genius, and sticking in a sci-fi fantasy attra... never mind.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

Pangaea only really existed at the start of the age of Dinosaurs and by the time of the late Cretaceous, the continents had mostly found their modern positions.

Also, you could make a point that Aladar making mischief in the halls of the Institute in the security footage suggests a "Life cannot be contained, life finds a way" resolution to that little story and that the Discovery River Boats Aladar they used to have further shows that he escaped.

I think I am the only one on earth who likes Dinoland, in fact I absolutely love it! If you have traveled rt 66 or been to the badlands or Dinosaur National Monument , dinoland just captures that vibe perfectly. Its not quite cars land but I would be sad to see it go. AK is IMHO the best of the parks at WDW , it has the most immersive and detailed themeing of all the WDW parks, and although Dinoland is cheesier feeling, that is part of what it gets pitch perfect about those parts of the US. It feels like a real tourist trap on RT 66 or something like Wall Drug.
Dinoland USA is actually supposed to be set in Florida for some dumb "The park was built around this place" reasons. The Carnotaur is some madeup Floridian subspecies. Even though during the Age of Dinosaurs, Florida was busy being underwater.

I love the Dinosaur Americana theme of the land, but it is in serious need of some better placemaking. And a ton of rockwork. Really put it out west. And turn the carnival into some dark ride homage to the old Dinosaur parks if you feel like retaining that roadside dinosaur attraction tangent.

britain

Supernatural nature... doesn't make any sense. The supernatural is BEYOND nature - it's right there in the name. The two concepts are entirely opposed - what is natural cannot be supernatural.

No matter how much you contort it, Indy does not fit the theme of AK. In fact, it conflicts with it. It would be like taking EPCOT, a park dedicated to science and the achievable results of human genius, and sticking in a sci-fi fantasy attra... never mind.

That's being too literal. That would be like saying "Any story with the theme of Man vs. Nature is illogical because Man is a part of Nature."

Casper Gutman

That's being too literal. That would be like saying "Any story with the theme of Man vs. Nature is illogical because Man is a part of Nature."
"Man vs. nature" is a very familiar theme throughout centuries of art. Everyone knows what it means and can point to thousands of manifestations in novels, poems, films, paintings, etc. It's a well-worn trope.

"Supernatural nature" is incoherent. Nothing about the Arc of the Covenant or the Holy Grail is "natural." That's the whole point! They are forces OUTSIDE of nature. Noone would look at the ending of Raiders and say, "well, that's nature for ya!"

Disney doesn't care about thematic cohesiveness anymore. Let's not redefine words in order to pretend that they do (if this gets built, of course).

BlindChow

I have an outstanding idea: shoulder dinosaur puppets!
Hmm, that gives me an idea for Indyland...

marionandmonkey-300x199.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom