Is Happily Ever After A Downgrade from Wishes?

JIMINYCR

I was a Wishes fan, having seen it multiple times over the years. It was a great show but it was time for a change. It does take time to get over the loss of something you liked and get comfortable with its replacement. I havent seen HEA in person yet but the videos look fine and I'm willing to give it a chance. I've enjoyed the Castle projections so far but I do agree that they could have done a better job with the ones they run during HEA. Oh, and I do miss the absence of JIminys role.

DreamfinderGuy

Haven't seen it in person yet, but I tend to believe Wishes was much better. I'm not judging it based on my personal favorite either, it's just that Wishes had a story and could be viewed from basically anywhere; HEA just seems like a Disney Movie Mashup with no real thought put in compared to the scale of Wishes. I believe that any fireworks show can be taken down, but the replacement has to be as good or better than the previous show. They could take down IllumiNations: ROE tomorrow for all I care, just the replacement has to be as good or better, a formula that HEA doesn't seem to follow. I guess it really depends on what type of show people want.

piglet21

To me, yes, HEA is a downgrade from Wishes. Other than the fireworks being pretty, I hate almost everything about it. I don't like the music, there's not a well thought out story, and I despise that it's essentially just a mash-up of movies. It misses the mark on originality for me personally.

correcaminos

This was my thought (as someone who hasn't seen the show in person yet). The fireworks seem to be at least on par with Wishes, but there's also the spotlights, the lasers, and higher bursts. I think the answer is to see the show from further away, and ignore the projections if they bother you. I think this view is incredible here:

Thank you for that video! Looked really good from far away even!

Really stupid question here, why on earth do fireworks need a "story line" to it? I hated that in Wishes so glad that it's pretty much gone in HEA. Why is that such a draw when fireworks are loud and pretty to look at?

The_Jobu

People seem very happy with HEA, so that's good.

I still prefer Wishes, even if it needed a change. HEA feels like it's going for cheap pops to me, whereas I find Wishes very moving. Also that Radio Disney-ish start gets my defences up already.

fireworkz

I liked HSA - but it left me wanting more somehow after watching it. I realized later after watching some videos the issue is Wishes had a much better build into the finale, and the finale was just the right length (not to mention a bit of a tear-jerker). HSA's final build hits Tink's flight and just kinda stops there, and levels off, maybe even deflates a bit. It needs a bit more drama after Tink, maybe a bit more of the HSA song before it ends? Or maybe th big finale needs to hit with Tink right away... there's something about the timing there.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I did not like the beginning and ending theme song at all, the vocals almost sound like something out of a gospel quier which to me doesn't fit the show at all, especially when the lead singers sing along with the chorus. Lacking way to much on the classics but look at Forever, lasted 2 years and Remember came back with all the new technology and updated. Not saying I want nothing but Wishes Back but this is a new pioneering show and there just scratching the surface with this new technology. They can market better off of a new show than just updating Wishes. I don't think this show is going to be around for long, with the 50th coming up I think this is just a test run and theres better to come.

fireworkz

I don't think this show is going to be around for long, with the 50th coming up I think this is just a test run and theres better to come.

This raises a thought for me, anyone know how long HSA was in development? Was it a rushed production, or rushed to completion early so they could have something new for night time at MK with the lack of a night time parade?

FutureCEO

I didn't like it. Partly because of the castle though I was looking at the fireworks more than the castle. And the insane insane insane amounts of people. Second time, I watched it from the tomorrowland bridge where all the a-holes just stopped and wouldn't let people that wanted to go by through.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

This raises a thought for me, anyone know how long HSA was in development? Was it a rushed production, or rushed to completion early so they could have something new for night time at MK with the lack of a night time parade?
The production was way to fast if you ask me, they are using a second hand theme some and I'm pretty sure most of this music has been mixed in from a collection of tracks, they really needed to salvage the nighttime summer attendance with the absence of a light parade and new shows in 2 other parks and the 50'th could kill it off. I also have some conspiracy theories but I'm not going to go there on the forums.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I didn't like it. Partly because of the castle though I was looking at the fireworks more than the castle. And the insane insane insane amounts of people. Second time, I watched it from the tomorrowland bridge where all the a-holes just stopped and wouldn't let people that wanted to go by through.
When I was there, they are enforcing a pathway through to Tomorrowland and you could freely walk.

NearTheEars

I've said I'll wait on saying what I really think until I've seen it later this year in person. But I'm tending to agree with what you say from what I know.

After seeing it in person, I'm torn and sort of agree with the OP. I found myself either only watching the fireworks, or only watching the projections. And by the time it ended I realized I basically missed the whole show.

I need to go back and see it a few more times once our blackouts are lifted.

The Empress Lilly

Rushed, I don't know. Not in the sense of a cheap filler. HEA is a lavish production, they are not holding back on the fireworks and effects. In fact, I was wowed at the number and size of the shells. The massive audiences were mostly in awe, people talked about it on the bus and on the plane.

For me, it feels more like a personal preference to have a pure fireworks show. DHS can have the mixed media show.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Rushed, I don't know. Not in the sense of a cheap filler. HEA is a lavish production, they are not holding back on the fireworks and effects. In fact, I was wowed at the number and size of the shells. The massive audiences were mostly in awe, people talked about it on the bus and on the plane.

For me, it feels more like a personal preference to have a pure fireworks show. DHS can have the mixed media show.
The fireworks are great, I predicted that when I saw them use the HEA shells in Wishes, sadly I thought they were just giving Wishes some love. I don't even think the rooftop launch shells are legal there so big. But that's ok with me.

Kman101

HEA is a massive upgrade but I didn't have the sentimental attachment to Wishes that some did. They're both fantastic shows for different reasons. Don't let nostalgia and sentimentality get in the way of a good show. If you go in demanding it to give you the same feelings as Wishes you will be let down. I do respect the opinion that you don't like projections on the castle or you'd rather have a pure fireworks show but this show isn't a downgrade. But hey to each their own though.

If you want just fireworks watch from behind the castle or just watch the sky you aren't being forced to look at the projections. I think the show is fantastic but I understand that some aren't into it.

Kman101

See I feel 100 percent opposite on the finale. I think the finale is executed very well, especially the build up to Tink's reveal. To me, the finale is definitely one of the highlights of the show.

Completely agreed. The music builds up to her flying from the castle. It's a much better entrance for her and a great moment.

fireworkz

Completely agreed. The music builds up to her flying from the castle. It's a much better entrance for her and a great moment.

I agree the build up to Tink is well done, it's great, but that's kinda the issue for me. That should be the end, it's the high point, but HEA keeps going for another bit and can't seem to top that moment. So the rest of the ending just goes flat for me. Maybe the music isn't strong enough or it's just the timing of the whole end sequence just can't put my finger on it.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

I don't know why one has to necessarily be better than the other. They are both special in their own way and have their individual strengths and weaknesses. Having seen both in person, I really enjoyed Wishes! and I really enjoyed HEA. Perhaps I'm just too much of a simpleton to understand the artistic intricacies and nuances of a fireworks show. Sometimes I think people can go a little too far down the rabbit hole in their analysis of Disney offerings. I'm not saying there shouldn't be standards or that the standards for Disney shouldn't be higher than your run of the mill amusement park fireworks show but I can't help but roll my eyes at some of the criticisms that get leveled at Disney from time to time.

I suspect some of the issues people have with HEA are:

-Wishes! was the first nighttime Disney show many ever saw and so they will ever have a deep, powerful emotional attachment to it.

-HEA tends to focus a lot more on the Disney Renaissance and Pixar films, whereas Wishes! largely was dedicated to the classics. This could be a generational divide in tastes. I will acknowledge that after the first showing I was slightly disappointed that Mickey nor any of his friends were highlighted at all. As they weren't in OUAT, I was hoping for a least a tip of the hat to them in HEA.

-Wishes! is about the blue fairy magically stepping in and seeing you through to your wish...HEA is about the individual hero overcoming adversity with the help of love and family. Triumph as opposed to a miracle. Some apparently prefer the former to the latter. I'm fine with either.

-HEA's main theme relies heavily on the modern teen pop sound. Wishes! was a little more traditional. Again, another possible generational divide. I don't tend to like modern pop at all and when I first heard the new theme I thought I was going to hate it but I thought it ended up working really well.

I was really glad they added projections to the new show. That was something I thought Wishes! needed to take it to the next level (at least for me). I didn't find them distracting at all. I have a hard time agreeing that the show was too reliant on them either. HEA uses an incredible amount of pyro so its not like they sacrificed fireworks for projections. The overall storyline of the new show works for me too. While I have nothing against Jiminy at all (I wish he was more prominently featured elsewhere in the park), I don't think there is a need for narration throughout. The music and projections tell the story. Finally, in regards to emotional impact of the show, I think that is something deeply personal to each individual. No doubt Wishes! tugged at the heartstrings but when "You'll Be In My Heart" played and I saw the projections of Tarzan and his mom, Carl and Russell, the Incredibles family, etc., I certainly had an emotional response.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I don't know why one has to necessarily be better than the other. They are both special in their own way and have their individual strengths and weaknesses. Having seen both in person, I really enjoyed Wishes! and I really enjoyed HEA. Perhaps I'm just too much of a simpleton to understand the artistic intricacies and nuances of a fireworks show. Sometimes I think people can go a little too far down the rabbit hole in their analysis of Disney offerings. I'm not saying there shouldn't be standards or that the standards for Disney shouldn't be higher than your run of the mill amusement park fireworks show but I can't help but roll my eyes at some of the criticisms that get leveled at Disney from time to time.

I suspect some of the issues people have with HEA are:

-Wishes! was the first nighttime Disney show many ever saw and so they will ever have a deep, powerful emotional attachment to it.

-HEA tends to focus a lot more on the Disney Renaissance and Pixar films, whereas Wishes! largely was dedicated to the classics. This could be a generational divide in tastes. I will acknowledge that after the first showing I was slightly disappointed that Mickey nor any of his friends were highlighted at all. As they weren't in OUAT, I was hoping for a least a tip of the hat to them in HEA.

-Wishes! is about the blue fairy magically stepping in and seeing you through to your wish...HEA is about the individual hero overcoming adversity with the help of love and family. Triumph as opposed to a miracle. Some apparently prefer the former to the latter. I'm fine with either.

-HEA's main theme relies heavily on the modern teen pop sound. Wishes! was a little more traditional. Again, another possible generational divide. I don't tend to like modern pop at all and when I first heard the new theme I thought I was going to hate it but I thought it ended up working really well.

I was really glad they added projections to the new show. That was something I thought Wishes! needed to take it to the next level (at least for me). I didn't find them distracting at all. I have a hard time agreeing that the show was too reliant on them either. HEA uses an incredible amount of pyro so its not like they sacrificed fireworks for projections. The overall storyline of the new show works for me too. While I have nothing against Jiminy at all (I wish he was more prominently featured elsewhere in the park), I don't think there is a need for narration throughout. The music and projections tell the story. Finally, in regards to emotional impact of the show, I think that is something deeply personal to each individual. No doubt Wishes! tugged at the heartstrings but when "You'll Be In My Heart" played and I saw the projections of Tarzan and his mom, Carl and Russell, the Incredibles family, etc., I certainly had an emotional response.
Looks like you were 14 years between trips, essentially during the entire Wishes run. That probably explains why you never developed a love or nostalgia for a show you rarely saw.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom