Is Happily Ever After A Downgrade from Wishes?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I watched Happily Ever After several times during my last trip.

I must say, the fireworks themselves are beautiful and appear to be quite a bit more than Wishes.

As for the show itself, I honestly was angry after seeing it the first time. We've watched Wishes since it debuted and probably are biased, but both my wife and I said, "That is the best they could do?" and she said, "Who approved that?" I think we are in the minority on this because others seem to love it.

Here is my major problem with it: It's essentially a mashup. I realize Wishes had some movie elements as well, but the "story" seemed to be better told from start to finish. HEA has Pirates, Wreck it Ralph, Hunchback, and others that just feel like a random attempt to connect with people who might like the movie and give the audience some recognizable. The story doesn't flow and seems to be a mashup of random movies with little tie to a "happily ever after" theme or an emotional journey through good and evil as in Wishes.

The castle projection (to me) is distracting and somewhat takes away from the beauty of watching fireworks paint the sky.

Overall, I enjoyed the fireworks and the show elements, but the songs, pace, and overall message left me empty. I definitely enjoyed it more the 3rd and 4th times, but it's a distant second to Wishes. Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but there was no emotional attachment to HEA. Wishes left me with tears in my eyes, even after seeing it literally hundreds of times.

Kevin_W

I think it's much better than Wishes, but to each their own. It's less of a mash-up than Dreams of many other Disney shows and it has a theme/arc dreams/I want -> friendship -> love -> conflict -> overcoming. It works for me.

Notes from Neverland

So add to the thread and give your thoughts.

Of course it's subjective which is why I asked the question and want to hear other opinions!

I haven't seen it in person yet (just videos), so I'll wait until then to give my full opinion. I will say that though I loved Wishes, I think it was growing a bit stale and a bit outdated.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I haven't seen it in person yet (just videos), so I'll wait until then to give my full opinion. I will say that though I loved Wishes, I think it was growing a bit stale and a bit outdated.
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I was super excited, but was let down. It got better as I watched more, but the overall show gives me little feeling.

HayHod

I agree that compared to Wishes, Happily Ever After lacks a coherent flowing story, most likely due to a lack of naration throughout the show (Poor Jiminy)

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love Happily Ever After, Just as I did Wishes, but it does seem to be a mash up of two different styles of show (Fireworks & Castle projection) & it just seems to be stuck all together.

But, all good things must come to an end, at least I have to say that Happily Ever After has an AMAZING soundtrack.
Brings a chill to me, especially the ending.

As previous posters have said, I guess its each to there own.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

We saw the very last show of Wishes and the very first show of HEA. There were people crying during both. The biggest thing I could see becoming an issue with HEA is that you really need an optimal viewing area to really get the most out of it I would say. I know Wishes has some Castle elements to it too but not nearly the level that HEA does obviously. The real catch of HEA is that it is so much more focused on the projection aspects as opposed to the fireworks aspect. The HEA fireworks are definitely more dramatic in this one though. A few days before HEA debuted I got to watch a full test run from my balcony at BLT and filmed it. It was like a 16 minute video or something like that. That's a ton of pyro. Also when you see HEA from a distance you can tell how many spotlights they are using on the Castle and it's enough that it looks like you could land a jet on Main St.

correcaminos

No

Honestly I did not care for Wishes and the "story" that went with it. Give me fireworks and nice music, please stop talking and making everything into a story. So to me HEA is s huge upgrade. Truly loved the music too!

Surfin' Tuna

Outside of this board, I have been surprised to hear locally (Orlando) that a lot of people think HEA is better. I have seen it online about 5-10 times, but I have only been in the park three times for it since it started. Once, I was on Main St. near the hub, once just outside of Tomorrowland, and once walking out of COP and hopping on TTA. I will also admit that as a Wishes lover, I am a bit biased. That all being said, here are my thoughts.

HEA is probably a better show from a performance and wow factor. My kid prefers it, because it has more going on and more video connections to the newer movies. It does a better job of grabbing you right from the start, but I'm not always a fan of that. I think that's a generational thing where I'm okay with things building slowly and letting the story develop. I feel as if there is no real story development with HEA, and I have been left wanting more after every show. It's not that I want more of that show, but I want that emotional hook that grabbed me with Wishes. I felt as if I really could do anything if I just wished upon a star.

I realize the IP projection on the castles is what is going to happen from this point forward, so it is not really worth debating. I just feel as if Disney could do better. They could give us that feeling that drew us all into Wishes versus all the bright, pretty, and dazzling lights they've given us with HEA. Is it a downgrade? I'm not sure downgrade is the right word, but it is certainly not an upgrade. If you're not in front of the castle, it's a total downgrade. The good news is: I won't be buying the t-shirts when they retire this show. That will save me a lot of money, since I did fall into the great Disney trap and bought more than I should have.

Thankfully, we have Mr. Smith's great tribute to watch to remember Wishes. Thanks for that Martin.

The Empress Lilly

The castle projection (to me) is distracting and somewhat takes away from the beauty of watching fireworks paint the sky.
Exactly.

Fireworks are their own show. They are awe-inspiring, they appeal to deep instincts about thunder and lighting, instilling a mix of fear and awe and beauty. Fireworks combine well with music, but light shows are distracting, these compete rather than complement.

My hobby was watching the castle being lit up by the fireworks, this is a bit lost. There is a mystery and majesty to the castle when enveloped by smoke, lit up by flashes of lighting. An effect more subtle, but more primal and powerful than a movie clip.

The Empress Lilly

I had the pleasure of seeing both the final Wishes and the first HEA.

- DHS has a projection + fireworks show. AK has a projection show. Variety is better served with a fireworks show in the MK.

- Castle projection lowers the viewing point on the horizon, and forces viewers to get close. Both reduce the amount of good viewing spots, increasing stress and irritation. Not the right choice for a park ran to overcrowding.

- For me, Wishes wasn't tired. Overly sentimental, but hey it's Disney. My last viewing I held my gf and watched the fireworks reflect in her golden hair to the tune of 'do as dreamers do'. Nothing stale to it for me, it still got me every time. I must admit that once I have established an emotional response to anything at Disney, it never grows old for me.

- Wishes (and Fantasy in the Sky before) is more of a blank canvas than HEA, a movie clip is more descriptive, it leaves your imagination little choice but the subject of the clip.

- If Wishes was tired, another fireworks show could replace it.

- HEA feels derivative of DLP Dreams, but can not quite match it, even if the fireworks are far more elaborate.

- Speaking of, Dreams did get a bit old. There is a limit to the amount of times you can see the same movie, whereas you can watch fireworks infinitely.

- In HEA's defense, its fireworks alone are every bit a match to Wishes. I am tempted to not even try to see the projections next time and just watch HEA from Town Square, leaving the throngs to fight for a spot unblocked by kids on shoulders in the hub hellhole.

- From the Poly, insofar as the view isn't blocked by that trailer park on poles, HEA might surpass Wishes. This is where I saw HEA for the first time, it was grand.

Cosmic Commando

- In HEA's defense, its fireworks alone are every bit a match to Wishes. I am tempted to not even try to see the projections next time and just watch HEA from Town Square, leaving the throngs to fight for a spot unblocked by kids on shoulders in the hub hellhole.
This was my thought (as someone who hasn't seen the show in person yet). The fireworks seem to be at least on par with Wishes, but there's also the spotlights, the lasers, and higher bursts. I think the answer is to see the show from further away, and ignore the projections if they bother you. I think this view is incredible here:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I enjoyed HEA very much more than Wishes. Massive improvement. The only negative is that HEA must be watched from in front of the castle to get anything close to full enjoyment of it. Wishes I could watch from the Cali Grill, Narcoosees, the Poly Beach, the area near Big Thunder, Fantasyland, etc., and still enjoy. I doubt that'll really be true for HEA. But that is a small price to pay for such a great show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom