Is Florida a great place to live?

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
I'm just curious what everybody thinks of Florida. Is the cost of living real bad down there an such. So tell me ur guys opion. I love to be there close to WDW!!!! :)

Ariel

My mom lives there now and she loves it. I have family there that have been there forever and a few times they've moved away but always returned. I imagine there are pros and cons of living there, just like anyplace else. Depends on what you want.

DisneyFreak

I would like to know this as well. My company has offices in Miami, Tampa, Ft. Myers and Clearwater and would love to get a transfer down there (preferably the west coast).

I thought I heard that they don't have state income tax.

The Mom

Premium Member
Correct. Florida has no state income tax, our local sales tax is 7%, we have a property tax exemption on the 1st $25,000 value of our home, and a terrible county school system, except for the academic & arts magnet schools (which are excellent but subject to a lottery system) My children are in private schools, but I also knew that when I moved here & factored it into the cost of living. The COL is much better here than our previous homes (Toronto and Providence)

MouseRight

We live in the West Palm Beach area of South Florida. The cool (relatively speaking) ocean breezes cool this area up to 5 degress from Central Florida. Great living here. Summers are as hot and muggy as New York, but Winters are relatively (there goes that word again) cool. You couldn't pry me away from this area. We are about 2.5 hours from the Disney gates. Go all the time. I think thsi area has a more tropical envionment than teh orlando/Kissimmee area. mediterrean style houses, lots of palm trees, etc. Lots to do year round - festivals, sports, outdoor life, etc. Definitely an outdoor life if you want it. Go biking or walking almost every morning or night year round.

Best of all - Disney World Florida Resident discounts!!!! Right now they are giving us a 4 day park hopper pass for $99. YEA!!!

The Mom

Premium Member
And forget the Miami area! I just live with the thunderstorms. When they get close, seek shelter;if you can hear the thunder, you can get hit; don't wait for that first lightning flash!(it might be the one that hits you!) Be prepared for hurricanes at all times. I keep supplies on hand all the time & rotate through them to keep everything fresh. My next door neighbor has a generator. We've considered alternate sources of supplies, rather than supermarkets or home depot, if a warning is issued. Planning is everything!

Debbie

the whole state of Florida can never be as bad as the city of New Orleans. Florida is nice and every time we go there is always some type of road improvements going on. When you take I-10 into the state of La. you know it by the roadway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom