Is everything closed for refurbishment?

GoofyCathy

Original Poster
We're going to Disneyland in late April and we were so excited-staying at the Grand Californian! We always go to Disneyworld-usually twice a year, but thought it would be fun to see Disneyland. I just checked the attractions list today and found so many of the fun ones closed for refurbishment...Matterhorn, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Soarin! Does anyone know if any of these will be opening again soon?

Californian Elitist

We're going to Disneyland in late April and we were so excited-staying at the Grand Californian! We always go to Disneyworld-usually twice a year, but thought it would be fun to see Disneyland. I just checked the attractions list today and found so many of the fun ones closed for refurbishment...Matterhorn, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan, Soarin! Does anyone know if any of these will be opening again soon?

These attractions, along with a slew of others, are closed because Disneyland's 60th anniversary is coming up. It starts on May 22nd. You may want to reconsider your dates.

JediMasterMatt

As Raven mentioned, you are hitting the perfect storm season of refurbs. It's all part of making the resort shine for the 60th. If possible, try to plan something after the celebration kicks off. You won't regret it.

George Lucas on a Bench

Well, I don't think Soarin's closure is really related to the 60th, but they might try to promote is as such. We'd been hearing about that refurb for a long time and that rumor was clearly the real deal, yet it was delayed to the worst possible time.

GoofyCathy

Original Poster
Thanks everyone...I think we'll still go. Judging by what some have said about Matterhorn, I'm not sure I need that bruising experience. And since Soarin' isn't really different from WDW, I think we'll be able to enjoy some other attractions that are exclusive to DL. We're excited.

GiveMeTheMusic

Thanks everyone...I think we'll still go. Judging by what some have said about Matterhorn, I'm not sure I need that bruising experience. And since Soarin' isn't really different from WDW, I think we'll be able to enjoy some other attractions that are exclusive to DL. We're excited.

Winnie the Pooh is inferior at DL compared to MK's, so you're not missing anything there. Peter Pan is really the only substantial loss, and even then it's not a huge one. You should still have an amazing time. :)

The list really isn't as bad as it seems. Like said earlier, Peter pan and Splash Mountain are the only downside closures currently as well as Soarin over California. If you go after the middle of March, there may be more open otherwise most things should be open my middle of May in time for the 60th Anniversary.

Thumper14

I am also coming the last week of April and staying at the Grand Californian. It is our 34 wedding anniversary and the dates are not flexible for us. Disneyland is a blast even if all the rides were shut down. Because we come every late April we always "suffer" with ride refurbs. It is really not that bad.The magic is still there every time we visit.

I can hardly wait!  

GoofyCathy

Original Poster
I am also coming the last week of April and staying at the Grand Californian. It is our 34 wedding anniversary and the dates are not flexible for us. Disneyland is a blast even if all the rides were shut down. Because we come every late April we always "suffer" with ride refurbs. It is really not that bad.The magic is still there every time we visit.

I can hardly wait!  
Yay! I agree-I'm just so excited to see it. Congratulations!

JediMasterMatt

Well, I don't think Soarin's closure is really related to the 60th, but they might try to promote is as such. We'd been hearing about that refurb for a long time and that rumor was clearly the real deal, yet it was delayed to the worst possible time.

The plan was originally for it to go down last year for the projectors; but, it got delayed to be part of the celebration this summer and include the revamp to the area.

The mandate was for everything to be online for the 60th.

JillC LI

You won't regret it. In my opinion, having been there for the first time last May, the must-sees are Radiator Spring Racers, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, World of Color, Haunted Mansion, Aladdin, and some of the DL-only Fantasyland rides like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Pinocchio. Matterhorn was fun to try but definiely rough. You'll have a blast.

WishIwasThere

Soarin' is exactly the same as Epcot, Peter Pan is a little different, (I like WDW version better), Winnie the Pooh (exactly the same as Magic Kingdom), and Matterhorn is fun but not a must do. There are soooo many different rides at DLR that you don't have at WDW that the trip will still be awesome. Radiator Springs, California Screamin', Indiana Jones, an updated and better BTMRR is only the beginning of an impressive list. We are normally WDW attendees but went to DLR last April and now the family would rather go back to CA than FL now. Have fun and "wish I was there".

Gaston's gal

There are so many other rides that they have at DL that you don't have at WDW, you will still have a great time. Enjoy your trip!

cheezbat

Soarin' is exactly the same as Epcot, Peter Pan is a little different, (I like WDW version better), Winnie the Pooh (exactly the same as Magic Kingdom), and Matterhorn is fun but not a must do. There are soooo many different rides at DLR that you don't have at WDW that the trip will still be awesome. Radiator Springs, California Screamin', Indiana Jones, an updated and better BTMRR is only the beginning of an impressive list. We are normally WDW attendees but went to DLR last April and now the family would rather go back to CA than FL now. Have fun and "wish I was there".
I agree with some of this. However, the Winnie the Pooh storylines are completely different, Pan is getting an upgrade in DL(and is better!), they still have Snow White and Mr Toad, Matterhorn is getting an upgrade, and superior versions of Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, and Pirates!

Even with certain rides closed, there will be plenty to do!

Bairstow

I can hardly wait!  

That's pretty much the time we're going too.
The only important unique attraction that will be offline is the Matterhorn, and the period before the 60th anniversary kicks off will probably be a great time for crowds.
A lot of people seem to be "waiting" to go until the 60th kicks off. I would just as soon avoid them.

Figments Friend

Add another one to the list -
'Indiana Jones Adventure' is now slated to be down for refurb that last week in April as well ( April 20th through May 1st )

Du'oh !!

:confused:

Regardless, there is PLENTY to keep you entertained at Disneyland.
You will have a fantastic time no matter what may be closed for refurbishment!

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom