Is entitlement becoming an issue?

ItlngrlBella

Don't waste time or energy over this. You're not going to stop the social media gravy train. I hate it as much as any other guy, but I've just learned to laugh at the self-important people. There's too much incentive to be an internet celebrity. It goes well beyond Disney. When teenage Youtubers making videos complaining about Starbucks and their parents make $50-100k a year, you know you've lost the battle.

Jerks gonna jerk. Haters gonna hate. I'm gonna go get a Dole Whip!

You're exactly right. This thread has become déjà' vu and I'm tired of repeating myself until I get carpal tunnel syndrome.

It's more fun to point and laugh. Lol!

Sans Souci

Sounds like you are just jealous. Attacking a little girl like this isn't going to get you anywhere. Little girls wear the princess outfits so they get to feel special. And any attention they get is justified. You don't know what those children might have to deal with in their lives. It might be the only bit of kindess they are shown. And my daughter wasn't in a costume and guess what? She got just as much attention as those who where

Absolutely! We need to instill in our young girls early that physical appearance takes precedence everything else!!!!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Sounds like you are just jealous. Attacking a little girl like this isn't going to get you anywhere. Little girls wear the princess outfits so they get to feel special. And any attention they get is justified. You don't know what those children might have to deal with in their lives. It might be the only bit of kindess they are shown. And my daughter wasn't in a costume and guess what? She got just as much attention as those who where

Stuff it.

Sans Souci

Eh. I totally agree that we should not be teaching kids that physical appearance is more important than anything else. I just don't know if that's what being a princess for a day is all about...

I wasn't talking about "princess for a day," I am talking about this IG nonsense with extra photo ops, et al. That is a hard lesson to undo. I don't think that attention is justified.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

I wasn't talking about "princess for a day," I am talking about this IG nonsense with extra photo ops, et al. That is a hard lesson to undo. I don't think that attention is justified.

Ah. Sorry, I misunderstood. It appeared you referenced "young girls" in a direct response to a comment about young girls dressing up like princesses.

ItlngrlBella

Princess for a day is one thing and little girls playing princess and dress up at home - fine. When we go to the parks CM's address our girls as Princess and that is fine. However from our last trip, when we returned home, our oldest was 6 and had a meltdown about picking up toys and said, "I don't have to, I'm a PRINCESS."

I quickly foreshadowed in my mind to her teenage years and envisioned her with the teenage-princess attitude... ThE HoRrOR!

I quickly put an end to it!

Me: "At Disney World all little girls are princesses - even Mommy! But now we are home, so we all have to do our jobs. Besides, Cinderella was the best picker-upper ever and looked what happened to her!"

I refuse to end up with entitled teenage bratty princesses because they grow up with a princess attitude and become those people we talk about!

These are ideals I try to instill in them about what what true beauty is and real princesses and ladies act like:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

ToInfinityAndBeyond

Princess for a day is one thing. Whe we go to the parks CM's address our girls as that and that is fine. When we returned from our trip our oldest had a meltdown about picking up and said, "I don't have to, I'm a PRINCESS."

I quickly foreshadowed in my mind to her teenage years and envisioned her with the teenage-princess attitude... ThE HoRrOR!

I quickly put an end to it.

Me: "At Disney World all little girls are princesses - even Mommy! But now we are home, so we all have to do our jobs. Besides, Cinderella was the best picker-upper ever and looked what happened to her!"

Right on. Don't let Disney do the parenting for you. Good on you. :)

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread there (not that it was even on the tracks anymore).

ULPO46

Disney... It's a Multi-Billion Dollar Conglomerate like any other. They want to make money more than anything, thats the purpose of any business. From it's films to it's theme parks Disney can appeal to nearly every last human being. Sadly though, I do agree that Disney has specials that are only given to the people who are willing to spend more and more money at their parks and resorts division. It can at times be a little unnerving that a repeat visitor who is well off financially gets to have more fun and have more special activities than those whom save an entire lifetime to visit the parks and meet mickey mouse. It's a thing that bothers me a lot. Although their are programs like Make-a-Wish, which i highly respect, I still feel that the original purpose of Disneyland and WDW given to us by Walt Disney was an equally shared experience for both rich and poor alike. Sadly the business model as every last fortune 500 company has, is only to make more money and give more incentives to those who spend more while giving a cheap, often lousy offerings to those who otherwise couldn't afford these so called Entitlements.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Disney... It's a Multi-Billion Dollar Conglomerate like any other. They want to make money more than anything, thats the purpose of any business. From it's films to it's theme parks Disney can appeal to nearly every last human being. Sadly though, I do agree that Disney has specials that are only given to the people who are willing to spend more and more money at their parks and resorts division. It can at times be a little unnerving that a repeat visitor who is well off financially gets to have more fun and have more special activities than those whom save an entire lifetime to visit the parks and meet mickey mouse. It's a thing that bothers me a lot. Although their are programs like Make-a-Wish, which i highly respect, I still feel that the original purpose of Disneyland and WDW given to us by Walt Disney was an equally shared experience for both rich and poor alike. Sadly the business model as every last fortune 500 company has, is only to make more money and give more incentives to those who spend more while giving a cheap, often lousy offerings to those who otherwise couldn't afford these so called Entitlements.
Well, yes and no. Walt Disney actually did NOT give the exact same experience for everyone at the original Disneyland. Remember that back then, there was a separate entry fee just to get into the parks. It was $1.00 for adults and $.050 for children. Then you had to purchase tickets for the rides which cost from $.010 to $.035. Walt understood that not everyone could afford all of the attractions, but wanted everyone to at least experience the park and a few of the free items that were there. People like to repaint history as if Walt gave away everything for nothing, but that is simply not the way it was.

The current Disney does have a lot of extra pay events, but it is amazing that the majority of them sell out sometimes in a few hours! People are willing to pay the price and see value, even if we don't. One example is the Party of the Senses at the Food & Wine Festival. You can purchase a Wine View Lounge package for $299/person! or just do General Admission for $149/person, but almost guaranteed that you will NOT get a seat, and will have to stand the entire time. These parties sell out sometimes in less than an hour!!!! Would I pay that? NO! It isn't worth it to us, but obviously, it is to others.

What you need to do is research what special events there are during your trip, and decide if the extra expense is worth it to you or your family. There are so many options, or you can choose to just go to the parks.

Back to the OP's original question. Yes, entitlement is becoming an issue, and I wish Disney would have more back-bone and kick these idiots out of the parks. They don't deserve to be there at all with their attitude that they should get everything they want just because they paid money to go there, or because someone else happened to get something, and posted about it on a message board, so now they should get it to. I wish they would all go away.

We actually saw it last week at the Grand Floridian. They had put out the Easter Egg displays and people (like myself) were going around taking pictures of the eggs. No problem with that. We then saw more than one person have their kids step BEHIND the ropes, so their parent could take a picture of their kid closer to the egg. They had a few CMs on duty to prevent just that, and when one woman was told that she cannot do that, her answer was "I paid a lot to stay here, and I'll damn well do what I please". The CM said she would have to call security to remove her if she didn't move. She muttered under her breath, but did move her child out from behind the ropes. The displays also had the small chocolate Easter eggs, and people were reaching over the ropes and taking them to eat!?!?!?! Really?!?!?!? We simply cannot understand an attitude like that at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom