Is entitlement becoming an issue?

NowInc

Original Poster
In my opinion, 100% yes.

I will not go into details, but I feel that certain guests are receiving constant, greater experiences simply because of their viewer counts on social media. I am not talking about a sweet "something extra" here and there, but more along the lines of every visit, getting special treatments and interactions. Being allowed to go where other guests can't, getting more than 20 minutes of one on one time with characters, being allowed behind counters, etc.

It seems that unless you dress your child up as a character, they will be seen as "less worthy" of getting the same treatment. Try explaining that to a kid sometime.

I am sure there are many "supporters" of this type of thing, as its seen as "cute", but try to look at the bigger picture. There are MANY of these types of accounts out there now, and its increasingly becoming worse and worse.

Please let me know if I am out of line in thinking this way. Shed some light on what I am missing.

jakeman

In my opinion, 100% yes.

I will not go into details, but I feel that certain guests are receiving constant, greater experiences simply because of their viewer counts on social media. I am not talking about a sweet "something extra" here and there, but more along the lines of every visit, getting special treatments and interactions. Being allowed to go where other guests can't, getting more than 20 minutes of one on one time with characters, being allowed behind counters, etc.

It seems that unless you dress your child up as a character, they will be seen as "less worthy" of getting the same treatment. Try explaining that to a kid sometime.

I am sure there are many "supporters" of this type of thing, as its seen as "cute", but try to look at the bigger picture. There are MANY of these types of accounts out there now, and its increasingly becoming worse and worse.

Please let me know if I am out of line in thinking this way. Shed some light on what I am missing.
Can you provide links?

I don't get out much from this website so I don't see any of the social media stuff that is often cited but not linked.

It's not a matter of disbelieving you, just curiosity to see it myself.

NowInc

Original Poster
People hear about spontaneous, magical experiences (thank you internet) and become angry if they don't get the same treatment. Room upgrades, special birthday messages and treatment at restaurants, the whole "Here comes Andy" thing, etc.

That, I'm ok with. What I am referring to are users with 500k+ followers on instagram/facebook getting literally 20+ minute one on one time with characters in places other guests aren't granted character access with. And its not "random", as its every time they visit. Its not just one person (tho one is way more prevalent than the others), but its becoming enough of an issue that its clearly showing guest favoritism, at least in my opinion.

jakeman

That, I'm ok with. What I am referring to are users with 500k+ followers on instagram/facebook getting literally 20+ minute one on one time with characters in places other guests aren't granted character access with. And its not "random", as its every time they visit. Its not just one person (tho one is way more prevalent than the others), but its becoming enough of an issue that its clearly showing guest favoritism, at least in my opinion.
Could they be purchasing the meet and greets? I would think if you (plural) are obsessed with Disney enough to document every aspect of your vacation on social media then enhancing your vacation with special events may not be that farfetched.

sporadic

500k+ followers for a Disney related social media account sounds more like business PR than a guest getting special privileges. We're the average non-local family that shoots for our one trip a year. When the little one was dressed up in her princess gear, she definitely got more attention but I just saw it as part of it. Nothing extreme like what you noted, just extra attention from CMs (and even guests). Asking for her autograph and things like that. I honestly would feel a little awkward if we were with a character for 20mins. We did end up getting a room upgrade the first time we stayed on property at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I figured it was a clever bait by WDW to keep us coming back.

From a business perspective however, I can definitely see why you would extend "extra magic" to such people. I would view them as cheap publicity and advertising. Social marketing on the cheap. I definitely see other entitlement issues in society as a whole.

fractal

NowInc

Original Poster
I guess my question in; when they walk into a Park, how does Disney identify them as "Disney social media supporters"?

They all "know" her. They (CMs) also give her "inside info" as to when special unannounced characters are going to be out (so she can be sure to be in the appropriate dress when she arrives).

NowInc

Original Poster
500k+ followers for a Disney related social media account sounds more like business PR than a guest getting special privileges. We're the average non-local family that shoots for our one trip a year. When the little one was dressed up in her princess gear, she definitely got more attention but I just saw it as part of it. Nothing extreme like what you noted, just extra attention from CMs (and even guests). Asking for her autograph and things like that. I honestly would feel a little awkward if we were with a character for 20mins. We did end up getting a room upgrade the first time we stayed on property at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I figured it was a clever bait by WDW to keep us coming back.

From a business perspective however, I can definitely see why you would extend "extra magic" to such people. I would view them as cheap publicity and advertising. Social marketing on the cheap. I definitely see other entitlement issues in society as a whole.

Which is why I don't think they will put an end to it. Its "free" publicity for them, at the expense of making other guests feel they aren't good enough.

To clarify, I am all for RANDOM special treatments to be given to guests. NOT the same one, over and over, each visit. I think that's sending the wrong message to the guests who aren't the "lucky ones".

jlthomas81

Seriously? Is this thread about a little girl who's mom makes cute costumes to match the CM's? Thanks to the internet, lots of people are becoming "sensations" in all aspects of life, and getting special treatment for YouTube posts or Instagram photos. All you have to do is watch Good Morning America or Today to see them. I saw an article about this little girl the other day and I thought it was adorable...not that she was entitled. The mom is doing it to help her get over her shyness. Lighten up.

J_Carioca

Seriously? Is this thread about a little girl who's mom makes cute costumes to match the CM's? Thanks to the internet, lots of people are becoming "sensations" in all aspects of life, and getting special treatment for YouTube posts or Instagram photos. All you have to do is watch Good Morning America or Today to see them. I saw an article about this little girl the other day and I thought it was adorable...not that she was entitled. The mom is doing it to help her get over her shyness. Lighten up.

What are the mom and dad planning to do to help her get over the feeling that she's the center of the universe? Which is exactly what she will think if they keep this up.

sporadic

Which is why I don't think they will put an end to it. Its "free" publicity for them, at the expense of making other guests feel they aren't good enough.

To clarify, I am all for RANDOM special treatments to be given to guests. NOT the same one, over and over, each visit. I think that's sending the wrong message to the guests who aren't the "lucky ones".

Hmmm.. I hadn't noticed it until you brought it up, but I can see where you're coming from. I think the majority of people that don't follow this stuff on a continuous basis wouldn't notice the recurring treatment. It could also be that they've gotten to know many of the cast members if they're local and go all the time (which looks like it from their instagram). I love the magic, but I hope that kid doesn't lose touch with reality!

NowInc

Original Poster

And this is exactly why I didn't want to bring up any single account. Shes VERY popular, great..awesome..wonderful for her. How about the many copy cats that are appearing? How long before its to the point where the only way to get any sort of special interaction is to spend time and money designing costumes?

Disney is supposed to be an EQUAL experience for the guest, regardless of social or financial status. I am aware celebrities have been getting special treatment for years, but it hardly every impacts other guests, as is what happens in cases like this.
Example: Not getting to meet a character because they spend 20 minutes with the special little girl in front of you, and run out of time.

jlthomas81

What are the mom and dad planning to do to help her get over the feeling that she's the center of the universe? Which is exactly what she will think if they keep this up.

Because she dresses up like characters and gets her picture taken with them? I tell ya what, how about we take away all the 1st Time buttons, or Anniversary buttons, or Happy Birthday buttons, because if 100 people tell my kid Happy Birthday while we are un WDW they might think they are the center of attention!

Guess what? Its Disney World! You are supposed to be made to feel special there!

jlthomas81

And this is exactly why I didn't want to bring up any single account. Shes VERY popular, great..awesome..wonderful for her. How about the many copy cats that are appearing? How long before its to the point where the only way to get any sort of special interaction is to spend time and money designing costumes?

Disney is supposed to be an EQUAL experience for the guest, regardless of social or financial status. I am aware celebrities have been getting special treatment for years, but it hardly every impacts other guests, as is what happens in cases like this.
Example: Not getting to meet a character because they spend 20 minutes with the special little girl in front of you, and run out of time.

Its been my experience that CM's stop the line at a certain point and all those people who are in line before that point get to meet the character, no matter how long the may run over into the allotted time.

NowInc

Original Poster
Its been my experience that CM's stop the line at a certain point and all those people who are in line before that point get to meet the character, no matter how long the may run over into the allotted time.

And NORMALLY thats the case, until these types of guests arrive. Or even better, they have the special guest wait to the side and as the characters leave, they bring her with them and have a long one-on-one experience with her while everybody else watches and waits for the next "shift" to come.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom