1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Is DVC worth it?

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club' started by CrystalPalace, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Seanual757

Seanual757 Well-Known Member

You definitely need to sit down and figure out realistically how many times a year and how many years out do you believe you will go to Disney.

For example my wife and I purchased VGF back in 2015 prior to this we stayed @ Disney on average 3-5 times a year and at the point leading up to buying DVC we spent approx. $15k on room’s over the course of 3 years. If we had paid the cost to stay @ VGF for 2 rooms (2 Bedroom (standard view), and 2 Bedroom (lake view) this would have added an additional $13k to the already $12k we spend. Now add in our other 3 stays in 2015 we would have added an additional $4k-5k this put us at our Purchase Price for VGF. (Numbers are not exact but a rough estimate as my wife had an excel spreadsheet with all of our stays and future stays and figured up the cost)

We did finance for 1 year then paid it off (We purchased Direct), since we stay now 4-6 times a year, we decided to purchase Polly in April 2016 (Purchased Direct) so we can stay more each year. We average 1 6-7 day trip, and 1-2 (3-day stays) and 2-3 (2-day stays). We normally book a 1 bedroom and at times a 2 bedroom. For us since we are local a family of 6 with 4 small kids (8, 7, 2, 7 months) we will be staying as we do a good 15 years more so the $$$$ savings will add up super-fast. We figured each year we would have averaged out of pocket approx. $8k-$12k depending on the resort and rooms sizes, as well as season but we figured the times we normally stay and added up the cost.

So yes for us it makes sense, for someone who does not live close and comes 1-2 times a year I do not see it being cost effective for DVC.

So in the end only you will know if you can afford it, I do hope the advice you are given helps you make your decision.

Key points
    -Figure out how many times a year you will stay
    -Figure out how many days per stay
    -Figure out the time of year you plan to go each time
    -Figure out which resort you prefer to stay at
    -Use the DVC 2016 or 2017 room price guide as a template as to how much it will cost per stay.
    -Add them all up and add in an additional say on average $1100 for annual dues for 200+ points

Good luck and one last word of advice is if you have any reservations about buying hold off, it’s like the new car syndrome you feel you must have it but after the purchase you end up having buyer’s remorse.

If you do buy Welcome Home

2. kniquy

kniquy Active Member

You will save money in the long run if you plan to visit Disney at least every other year. You meet your break even point faster if you purchase a resale contract. So that is definitely something to research.

Just to give you numbers that you can see -- we purchased a 120 point AKV contract for approx $9100. Yes you have yearly maintenance fees , I 'll get back to that in a minute. We are planning a trip in a 2BR standard room at kidani for a 6 nights- pricing it out through Disney it could range from $6000 - $8000 -- depending on the time of year -- I would and could not ever pay that to go there. Our next trip in 2018 in that room will eat up a huge portion of our initial purchase price. So once we break even -- say in 4 -5 years -- our yearly maintenance fees (which this year were $780) will be much less than the cost of getting a room though Disney.

So for that 2BR Stnd room for 6 nights -in our time frame of going in April it will cost 241 points -- so two years of maintenance fees would approximately be (with yearly increases) ~ $1600 for that same room.

Savings does happen but not until you are a few trips into your contract. If you go to disney often then it can be a wise investment. The Maintenance fees increase and people will gripe about that, but you also have to consider that the rooms through disney will increase from year to year as well.

You will get many different opinions from those who love it to those who over analyze the time -money lost investment of that money used to purchase a DVC contract. What matters is that you know how often you plan to visit, thoroughly understand the ins/outs of the system and its limitations at times and financial commitments. I had a good basis when we bought but i keep reading these and other forums almost daily. there are always new topics and new scenarios which i hadn't known about -- so like anything -- you keep learning new things. It is best to start out smaller 100-150pt contract and you can always add on down the road if you need more points.

3. kniquy

kniquy Active Member

As far as I have ever read - DVD can never increase the total points for the resort -- so if they started out with a total points for all rooms of say 500,000 -- that is all they get to play with -- they can adjust and realign them (which they have done in the past by increasing some week day points and decreasing some weekend) but never increase above that 500,000 point mark. With the newer resorts they are starting out with a higher point value so those rooms at Poly and VGF and probably the new copper creek -- a studio at those resorts might be 150 points for a week and the older resorts might be 100 points.

toolsnspools likes this.