Is DME any good?

lilclerk

I had a bad experience once with DME- flight arrival 6:00 PM, bags arrived at my resort from the airport next day 1:00 PM. Big inconvenience and a lot of worry. Not really sure why it happened, but next time I will go back to just carry-ons. Of course I think this is the exception not the rule but I won't risk it again.
Sometimes that's because the airline lost your luggage. The nice part is DME works with the airline to find it for you and you don't have to.

But I try to fly with only carry-ons as much as possible, too ;)

Rob562

Sometimes that's because the airline lost your luggage. The nice part is DME works with the airline to find it for you and you don't have to.

But I try to fly with only carry-ons as much as possible, too ;)

In this instance, one thing to look for is additional tags from the airline on your bag(s). (In addition to the one put on there when you first checked the bag). Very often the airline will add supplemental tags when routing a mis-handled bag to the correct destination. (Because the flight info on the original tag is no longer accurate to the bag's newly-scheduled journey)

But I agree that working with the airline on your behalf is one of the best benefits of DME. Many times when a bag is delayed the Guest is never aware of it. If they're on a morning flight, they check in, head right to a park and don't return to their room until that evening, they have no way of knowing that bag #3 was delivered to the room hours after bags #1 and #2 because the airline mishandled it and DME delivered it when it eventually arrived.

If you hadn't been on DME and had a delayed bag, you would've had to stand around the carousel at baggage claim until you were sure no more bags were coming out, go over to the luggage office, wait in line and then deal with the employee there in filling out whatever form they need to deliver the bag to your hotel at some later time.

-Rob

harryk

Best thing ever invented - DME - drop luggage in Boston, find it in room later in day.
Check luggage at hotel when departing and pick it up in Boston....
Someone else takes care of it and just carry a small bag with 'necessaries' ... never have to be concerned about overhead space in the aircraft ... or under the seat in front..

CheshireCat12

Hey harryk, I need your avatar!!!:p

My bags that were delayed in my previous post had an airline destination tag, a yellow DME tag, and a pink "transfer" tag from the airline (we had a connecting flight). I guess anything could have happened (airline OR DME issue) and I'm glad I finally got my bags BUT I still won't do it again- it was hard for me to take the leap of faith and trust in the system for the first time, and it didn't work out for me. I think it probably works well most of the time though.

gregsanity

@cba DME is an awesome benefit if you are staying on-site. If you're like me, as soon as you land at MCO you want to be at Disney. With DME, they will send you luggage tags approximately 2 weeks prior to your trip. You would attach these tags to your bags before checking in your luggage at your local airport. Once you do this, you will not see your bags until you check into your resort room. Upon arrival at MCO, you proceed to DME Welcome Center. If you have your Disney Vacation Package Info with you then you can proceed to one of the CM located to the left of the Welcome Desk. They will simply scan your booklet then give you the assigned number for your bus. It may take up to an hour from the time you leave the airport to your resort because the bus may make 2 additional stops at other resorts that are close to yours. DME is hassle free from what I have experienced. Just before you enter the WDW property a video is shown on the bus which is activated via GPS which welcomes you and gives you information about WDW. When you depart, it is a sad day :(. The night before your departure or the morning of, you will receive a DME envelope with information on your departure bus. Usually it is 3 hours prior to your flight which gives you ample time to get to the airport and checked-in. You can utilize the Airline Checkin Service at your resort to check-in your bags for your trip home and also DME will print your boarding passes if you wish too. I hope this helps. It is also a money-saver if your thinking about renting a car. You can utilize Disney Transportation busses anywhere in WDW. The only downside is waiting for the bus but it the busses run every 20 min from just about every location.

ddbowdoin

it's an awesome benefit... we have never used the check in feature with bag delivery. If we don't fly JetBlue we don't check bags so we just carry our stuff with us. But without a doubt an awesome feature, sure you have to stop at other resorts but it's a 100+ dollars in your pocket. This past trip we stayed at the Swan and while our service from Quicksilver was great (they were quick, on time, friendly) it wasn't the same as DME and the welcome videos that get me jacked up for a week (or so) of Pixie Dust!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom