Is DME any good?

daisyduckie

There are some negatives:
  1. Disney requires you to depart to return to the airport 1-2 hours earlier than you would need to if you were using your own transportation.

I don't agree. At most you gain 30 minutes if you use a rental car or towncar service instead of DME. Orlando is one of those airports where they security lines can be massive. I'd much rather have a little extra time in the airport to eat and shop than be stuck in the security line, praying my plane wasn't going to leave without me.

ParentsOf4

I don't agree. At most you gain 30 minutes if you use a rental car or towncar service instead of DME. Orlando is one of those airports where they security lines can be massive. I'd much rather have a little extra time in the airport to eat and shop than be stuck in the security line, praying my plane wasn't going to leave without me.
The question is not what you'd rather do; it's what DME forces you do to. If you have your own transporation (e.g. car rental, cab, etc.) you get to decide when you leave for the airport. If you use DME, Disney decide for you. As many have complained, DME forces you to leave hours before you'd have to if you were using other means of transportation. Therefore, in this respect, DME is inferior to other transporation methods.

DME is an excellent option but it's not perfect.

daisyduckie

The question is not what you'd rather do; it's what DME forces you do to. If you have your own transporation (e.g. car rental, cab, etc.) you get to decide when you leave for the airport. If you use DME, Disney decide for you. As many have complained, DME forces you to leave hours before you'd have to if you were using other means of transportation. Therefore, in this respect, DME is inferior to other transporation methods.

I know that DME is far from perfect. However, it does not require you to leave "hours" before you would have to if you were using other means of transportation. At most you lose 30 mintues using DME. Towncars won't give you any more leeway than that. Well they may if you force the issue, but they will strongly advise you that it is a bad idea to cut it too close. To me, spending money either on a rental car or towncar to save 30 minutes of time doesn't make much sense.

Cosmic Commando

I don't think it's really fair to say DME picks you up "hours" before you'd have to leave if you were driving a rental car or had a towncar. The standard time for DME is that they pick you up at your hotel three hours before your flight leaves for domestic flights. Even if there were zero traffic and no other resort stops (a necessary evil sometimes given the nature of DME), the worst case is that you'd arrive at the airport 2.5 hours before your flight leaves. Some people still have to wait in line to check bags, wait in line at security, etc. I've always had good luck with security at MCO, but I've heard the lines can get really bad and Disney has to be prepared for that.

ParentsOf4

I don't think it's really fair to say DME picks you up "hours" before you'd have to leave if you were driving a rental car or had a towncar. The standard time for DME is that they pick you up at your hotel three hours before your flight leaves for domestic flights. Even if there were zero traffic and no other resort stops (a necessary evil sometimes given the nature of DME), the worst case is that you'd arrive at the airport 2.5 hours before your flight leaves. Some people still have to wait in line to check bags, wait in line at security, etc. I've always had good luck with security at MCO, but I've heard the lines can get really bad and Disney has to be prepared for that.
People who visit WDW typically spend most of their time at the theme parks. Many people like to spend a partial day at the theme parks on their last day.

When I have a car rental, I can leave directly from my resort or a theme park at what ever time I choose. If I use DME, I have to get to the main lobby of my resort (a long distance for many Value or Moderate Resorts) and wait for the bus. I cannot pick it up from a theme park. This adds up to a lot of "lost" theme park time.

Separately, using a car, I've left in as little as 1.5 hours before my departure time from (for example) DHS and had no problem making my flight. There is a risk but I've done this several times without incident.

Cosmic Commando

People who visit WDW typically spend most of their time at the theme parks. Many people like to spend a partial day at the theme parks on their last day.

When I have a car rental, I can leave directly from my resort or a theme park at what ever time I choose. If I use DME, I have to get to the main lobby of my resort (a long distance for many Value or Moderate Resorts) and wait for the bus. I cannot pick it up from a theme park. This adds up to a lot of "lost" theme park time.

Separately, using a car, I've left in as little as 1.5 hours before my departure time from (for example) DHS and had no problem making my flight. There is a risk but I've done this several times without incident.
OK, I will give you credit for the bit about taking your rental car right from a theme park to the airport. That will at least make up the time it takes to return the rental car. But... DME is included in your room rate and if you're flying one of the participating airlines, the resort airline checkin is a huge help.

Rob562

OK, I will give you credit for the bit about taking your rental car right from a theme park to the airport. That will at least make up the time it takes to return the rental car. But... DME is included in your room rate and if you're flying one of the participating airlines, the resort airline checkin is a huge help.

FYI, Resort Airline Check-In is available to all Disney resort guests (as long as they're on a participating airline, of course), not just those using the DME bus to get back to the airport. They don't care how you're getting back to the airport.

-Rob

Yes Yes Yes, use DME. It's part of the excitement of the the flight. Once you land in Orlando, Disney does the rest. My only suggestion, stop at baggage and claim you bags, or you could have a long wait to see you luggage. We left Disney pick up and delivery our luggage once, it was not bad, but we were dressed for winter weather and got to Florida and it was mid 70's and we were way over dressed.

RonAnnArbor

DME is one of the absolutely best things ever -- those of us who drive cars every single day in the "real world" LOVE not having to drive anywhere in the "World"...if you need to leave property, by all means rent a car. If you are going to WDW to do WDW and stay in WDW then it is absolutely unnecessary to have a car.

rael ramone

FYI, Resort Airline Check-In is available to all Disney resort guests (as long as they're on a participating airline, of course), not just those using the DME bus to get back to the airport. They don't care how you're getting back to the airport.

-Rob

I'm a renter myself. In addition to getting the most of my first & last days (leave Epcot & go straight to MCO with just my carryon & boarding pass), there's the freedom of it being much, much easier to enjoy the resort restaurants without 2 bus interchanges. And sometimes you just don't feel like waiting for the Magical Motorcoach and just want to drive to the parks and save a lot of time.

Magenta Panther

DME is TOTALLY good. The buses are clean and wonderfully designed. When I climb into one and take my seat, I can feel the magic begin...

(And it totally beats the loud, smelly shuttles that take you from the parking lot to the Park. I've nearly gagged on those horrid fumes.. :p )

Genie of the Lamp

DME is one of the absolutely best things ever -- those of us who drive cars every single day in the "real world" LOVE not having to drive anywhere in the "World"...if you need to leave property, by all means rent a car. If you are going to WDW to do WDW and stay in WDW then it is absolutely unnecessary to have a car.

THIS^^^^^^^! Great post cause that's exactly how I feel. If you want to go to UNI/SW, you can even rent a taxi as well or rent a car like we've done before at the Dolphin. It is so unecessary and a waste of time if you don't take the WDW buses and drive to the parks yourself. That alone (paying for parking) is a superfluous expense to your vacation budget. Plus with traffic always playing a factor it helps dramatically to ride a bus since they have designated traveling routes and put you right in front of the parks. Again I wish I could like this post to infinity and beyond here.:)

mickey2008.1

We love DME. No having to worry about our bags, waiting to get a rental car, traffic. Just get on the bus and relax. Me for the ride back to the airport. We never leave the resort, so a car rental is not needed, as we rely on transportaion, which we know takes some time, but it's better than finding your way around thosebroads, or getting stuck in traffic. I definitely reccomend iDME. Get on and go start your vacation.

CheshireCat12

I had a bad experience once with DME- flight arrival 6:00 PM, bags arrived at my resort from the airport next day 1:00 PM. Big inconvenience and a lot of worry. Not really sure why it happened, but next time I will go back to just carry-ons. Of course I think this is the exception not the rule but I won't risk it again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom