is construction at Downtown Disney keeping you from going?

Redsky89

Original Poster
Me and my family and friends go to Downtown Disney quite a bit. But if you have been there recently there is a lot of construction going on. The new ( and much needed ) parking garages are being built up making parking a nightmare. All of what was Pleasure Island will be blocked off for some time while Disney Springs is being built. Then even part of the Marketplace is under construction near the Lego shop.

For me with all this going on Downtown Disney has turned into quite a hassle. Walls of construction blocking walkways making crowds even worse and the parking situation for the meantime a headache has me wondering if I want to go back any time soon. While I am extremely excited for Disney Springs and the parking garages has the construction there made anyone else think a little harder if they want to spend a evening in Downtown Disney or not?

DisneyPrincess5

Funny you should bring this up as I've been thinking about it lately.

DH and I will be vacationing soon and our first day, we arrive around Noon and decided to not go to a park that day as we will likely be exhausted, will only have a half day, and want to start fresh the next morning. So we were thinking of swimming, having lunch at the resort, and maybe going to Downtown Disney for a bit that day since we haven't been in years but with all of the construction, I'm wondering if we should avoid it. We could either drive our rental car there or take the bus. Hmmm decisions, decisions.

Wishes 1971

We were there in June, and went to Downtown Disney on two separate occasions. While the construction, traffic, etc. looks bad, we were able to find good parking, and still enjoyed our visits.

Redsky89

Original Poster
Funny you should bring this up as I've been thinking about it lately.

DH and I will be vacationing soon and our first day, we arrive around Noon and decided to not go to a park that day as we will likely be exhausted, will only have a half day, and want to start fresh the next morning. So we were thinking of swimming, having lunch at the resort, and maybe going to Downtown Disney for a bit that day since we haven't been in years but with all of the construction, I'm wondering if we should avoid it. We could either drive our rental car there or take the bus. Hmmm decisions, decisions.
I would take a bus if you are gonna go later in the evening. Earlier during the day during the week the parking is fine.

rangerbob

I still like to go there. It is an ever evolving world there as you will find something new each time you visit. The hardest part is finding a parking spot though. The next time that I head there I may just park across the street and use the crosswalk to get over instead of trying to park at one of the few DTD spots.

JIMINYCR

It makes it less eye appealing but theres still enough interest there to make us want to go. Maybe we wont stay as long or spend as much??? And boy do I miss some of my old favorites that have gone. Still gives us a break from the parks and fun to wander around ... Might be inconvenient for a while but worthwhile... Disney Springs should build new excitement into the area once its finished.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I used to go a lot more often. Now it's only as frequently as necessary, based on how much I want Earl of Sandwich vs how much I hate the current cluster that is parking at DTD.

Wildflower

We've avoided it for the most part lately, just takes too long getting to/from and won't deal with the current parking situation.

PrincessNelly_NJ

We went in May. During the day it was fine, but at night it was terrible!
I never have seen so many people in DTD.
You could barely walk. But since then they have opened up some of the areas so maybe it is better.

psukardi

Two things keep me from Downtown Disney.
1. The Bus System
2. Parking

If I'm paying money to stay on property and the big thing you scream from the roof-tops is how awesome the bus system is, it shouldn't be such a logistical nightmare to get from a resort to Downtown Disney. And the problem is even worse getting back. However, if I'm going to park - it needs to be easy to get there and easy to get out of there. Right now it's not doing well with any of these

Wishes 1971

I think timing is everything. We went late in the evening (around 9 PM) and early morning (9 AM), and the parking wasn't too bad. They had lots flagged as full, but several spots were open. I do know there were a significant number of people who were parking across the street, and walking over too.

BransonJ

Not necessarily keeping me from going, but we have decided to skip it due to us only having a 5 night stay come October. BUT have kept our plans open in case we get a last minute desire to make it down there. (Mainly depending on what has, if anything, been competed. For us the shops and restaurants aren't a must do or see for us (except world of disney). Have seen cirque 4 times. So we are just ready and looking forward to when it is completed.

docandsix

Holy cow, yes. That place is a mess now, more so than in the past. We spent 90 minutes there on a weekday night in late June, and we accomplished the equivalent of 15 minutes of shopping while fighting crowds and walking around construction barriers. Truth be told, I haven't really enjoyed the shopping, dining or touring at DTD in years, largely because of the crowds and foot and vehicular traffic flow. I hope it improves, but I will return only under duress. When I finally do, I sincerely hope that future experience does not reflect prior disappointments. Only then will I become a regular customer again.

lunchbox1175

No, but then again, I don't live in the area or have to deal with traffic and parking....I love DTD, so construction doesn't really get in the way of what I want to do.

wogwog

Will most of the construction/remodeling be done by December 2015?
Original time line announced by Disney a long time ago. "The roadwork enhancements will be done in phases, with staggered openings leading up to a completion in Spring 2016." Do not know how well they are sticking to the plan however. I go past there on I-4 often but I will avoid the mess until it is done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom