Is a Membership In DVC worth all the money?

Is DVC timeshare worth all the money you spend on it (up front and yearly)??

• Total voters

Erik

Sorry to post off topic, I will never do this again, but I can't resisit with training camp 2 weeks away . . .

We are also looking at DVC - but first- I'd make sure you use your money to buy season tickets for our Superbowl-bound E-A-G-L-E-S . . . EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!

phlydude

Original Poster
Erik said:
Sorry to post off topic, I will never do this again, but I can't resisit with training camp 2 weeks away . . .

We are also looking at DVC - but first- I'd make sure you use your money to buy season tickets for our Superbowl-bound E-A-G-L-E-S . . . EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't get Season tickets (I gave them up after the '98 season (stupidest thing I ever did :brick: ) and am on a "waiting list".

I want to talk to the rep but I don't want to make any decisions yet, I am going back in Dec and that would be the time that I would buy if I were going to do it.

On a side note, my wife's boss just came back from a Disney Cruise and bought into the DVC and bought 300 points (his logic was that so he could take the family on another cruise next year). I don't dare ask her to find out how much he spent on that but does anyone know what the current sale value is per point direct from Disney? Also, are they still doing that offer where you can sell back your 1st year's points in lieu of downpayment?

Woody13

PhilharMagician said:
Woody,
Why do resales for OKW sell for the same value as the Boardwalk or Beach Club which are new resorts? The resales are averaging from $70.00 - $76.00 per point for these resorts . I paid $79.00 per point for SSR last October and now current new sales are @ $95.00 per point. Unless the bottom falls out of time shares I will be standing in a good position in 10 years.

I just don't know how you can loose 50%. :brick:
Hi PhilharMagician! :wave: That's a good question. Actually all of the DVC resorts resell for about the same amount. The most popular including OKW, WLV, BWV and BCV have a slight edge over the Hilton Head Resort and the Vero Beach Resort, but not by very much. When SSR gets into regular resale's, it too will fall within the same selling range as the others.

The reasons for this are not complicated. People want to save money! Since the buyer is going to have to pay anywhere from $450.00 to $650.00 and more in closing costs (depending upon actual sale price and other considerations), the seller must offer a point discount. Otherwise, there would be no resale market. The resale values you quoted, "resales are averaging from $70.00 - $76.00 per point" are really asking prices. Now, that's not to say that some people don't get that price. However, most resale's don't "average" anywhere close to those figures. Currently, a DVC resale of 150 points is going on average for about $9,000 or $60.00 per point.

Of course, some sell for more and some for less depending upon various factors such as number of points for sale, when does the use year start and of course maintenance costs. The 2004 maintenance point costs for OKW = $3.6766 per point, BWV = $4.2515 per point, WLV = $4.2210 per point and BCV = $4.1786 per point. As you can see, the OKW maintenance costs are significantly less than the others and that results in a higher resale value! So that should explain why OKW is very high on the list.

Most real estate firms that specialize in DVC timeshare resale's do a very good job and they are highly respected within the realty profession. However, there are a few DVC resale firms that attempt to inflate the value of DVC property. After all, the higher the sale price, the higher their commission. These firms often inform the buyer that Disney has the first right of refusal on all DVC contracts. They use this tactic in an effort to persuade the buyer into believing that point prices are "set" and are not negotiable. Of course, that is not true. I honestly don't know at what price point (if any) Disney would invoke its first right of refusal on any DVC contract.

Since even before 9/11/01 it's been a buyers market in the timeshare business in the greater WDW area. WDW is way overbuilt with both DVC properties as well as their resorts. Had it not been for the tragic events of 9/11, the real estate market in the greater WDW area might have been very different than what it is today. Real estate speculation is a funny business!

Since you bought SSR, I have a question for you. Why would anyone use 182 points per week (Sun.-Thurs. 20 points per night and Fri.-Sat. 41 points per night) to stay in a one bedroom at SSR, when you can stay at the Hilton at WDW for $84.74 a night including taxes? The Hilton and the SSR are within walking distance. As you stated, you paid $79.00 per point for SSR. So that 182 point week at the SSR (during the "Adventure Season" (least expensive time) is costing you $287.56 per week (182 x 79.00 = $14,378 / 50 = $287.56). Now you have to add in your annual maintenance fee. A very conservative estimate for 182 points would be $500.00. So, for a one week stay at the SSR you spent $787.56 while you could have stayed at the Hilton for $593.18. Also, unless you paid cash up front for your DVC (most people don't) then you have to add in all those finance charges as well.

All I am saying here is that I look for value. Discounts abound at WDW resorts at all levels, even DVC rentals. Why buy a DVC lease and own nothing at the end of the term, when you can instead rent DVC points or stay at other Disney resorts or off property resorts and spend far less money in the process? The DVC is very expensive for what you get!

I hope I answered your questions!:wave:

PhilharMagician

Thanks Woody for the info. Those are very interesting numbers and I understand what you are talking about. I understand that Disney gives nothing away and that they are making profit somewhere along the way. As far as the Hilton, it just is't what I'm looking for. I want the Disney experience from day one that I get there till I leave. I also wasn't aware that the Hilton had one bedroom suite's with full kitchens and in room laundry facilities. Is this the one in Downtown Disney area?

I also plan on using my points in studio rooms which will give me 2 weeks per year with points left over. so now take your number of $787.00 and divide it by 2 which comes to $393.50 per week. This is less than I would pay for a value resort with a AP discount for the same 2 weeks and have a deluxe resort feel.

The most important thing DVC does for me is it gives my family a great place that we all enjoy and can enjoy each other. Now it can happen more often and hopefully far into the future. :wave:

webmomom

I agree with the previous poster and basically was going to say the same thing. I have 150 points and we go at least 4 to 5 times a year. the 787.00 number divided by 4 is $196.75 and if we go one more time it is $157.40 for stays at a deluxe hotel. Also the advantage is I don't have to wait for discount codes to be in effect. I can go anytime. I don't have to hope and pray they will have codes this year that matches the time I want to travel. Since we have paid ours off, I don't have to worry about coming up with the money for a hotel room, plus all the other expenses we wish to incurr during our stay. I know timeshare is not right for everyone, but if you are interested ,(after looking at many) Disney is the best and most flexiable. :wave:

HMGhost13

Erik said:

first...gotta get past the C-A-T-S!!! ;)

(btw i do congrats philly for going 3 times to the NFC champ game, but i'm a huge carolina fan)

ok back on topic now lol

DisneyPhD

Woddy, I have never really understood your math. (of course I am not a math person, that is more Mr. PhD the REAL PhD.) I guess that is why DVC isn't for you, but is great for us. (different ways of looking at things.) It sounds like you have given it a great deal of thought and found it doesn't add up for you. That is why it is a real good thing to carefully look into before joining and deciceding if it is right for you and your family.

As far as staying at different resorts, so far we have not had any problems booking at different resorts. (we tend to go in March, early Dec, early Jan or May so far.) Once when we went to Aug we wanted to do BCV, but ended up with OKW (mostly because we could stay for 10 nights at OKW for the same points as 6 at BCV.) There are many options for DVC resorts. We felt the same way at 1st, but I like staying at Dixi Landings, Poly and others. We thought well if we find a real good deal we will just save our points and pay cash. We still may end up doing that in the future (espceailly to save some weekend points and make our 170 points last longer.) But when it comes down to it, we love the DVC rooms so much we don't want to stay in a normal resort. Having the extra acomodations are so helpful. Once you do DVC you don't want to go back (especailly for a week or longer, a few nights might not be bad.) Also you have the option of HH and VB too. There is such a good vareity of DVC resorts, you really do have great choices.

CSUFSteve

DVC's "true" value?

What a great thread, exactly what I was looking for! Like others, I have been mulling this over for a while now. Apologies in advance for the length.

Last time mom and I were there (10/2004), we decided to go on a tour mostly because I wanted to see SSR. That was our GF day (massage, boat ride, pool, formal tea, dinner at California Grill). We had to pop over to MK for a bit and the DVC van picked us up there. The SSR DVC area is definitely impressive. My mom is totally against the DVC, pointing out that I don't yet own a home, what if I'm physically unable to go in ## years, what if I lose my job and can no longer afford the yearly fees, and what if the quality of WDW degrades, Disney goes bankrupt, etc., such that I'm no longer interested in returning. The DVC chick sensed I was the "gullable" one (as my mom put it) and focused her spiel on me. That said, it was very low pressure, not at all like other timeshare pitches I've been to, and very enjoyable. I loved the SSR rooms with views of Downtown Disney across the water. And at the end of the pitch, the van dropped me off at POR and my mom off at MK. The free sundae and meal coupons were also nice perks but like I said, I mostly just wanted to see SSR.

I didn't end up buying because I'm not willing to rush into it. But even my mom agreed if DVC was financially viable for anyone, it's me. She also liked the points structure but was leary about what *exactly* is meant by "total points can never go up or down" and potential "hidden" extra costs in yearly fees. We also approached some DVC members poolside at SSR to ask real people about their experience. We talked to a couple who were taking their 1st trip since joining and loved it so far. They liked the flexibility of not having to stay at Disney (but the literature says there's a $75 fee for using the exchange). We talked to them for so long that we didn't end up talking to anyone who were experienced DVC'ers.

The woman did tell us that they talked to a DVC'er who had a horrible experience using her points at POR. She arrived on a Sunday and had some problem with her room. The POR Cast said they couldn't move her room without approval from the DVC, whose office was closed on the weekend? Sunday? something like that. So the DVC'er was stressed and without any remedy until the DVC came back in on Monday. The lack of availability of anyone who could make a decision seems like poor guest service coming from Disney. I don't know more details about her room problem since this came 3rd hand.

So you probably noticed I said I don't own a home. Not sure I want to or that it's for me. I like being able to do what I want when I want with my money and I'm not convinced that the real estate market will continue like this in the Bay Area. Things are way too expensive here and if I were to buy a house here, my quality of life would seriously degrade and I'm be trapped in a mortgage. To me, all the same con arguments against DVC membership apply to owning a home. Yes, sure, I get the value of your home goes up over time, but, IMO, what good is that if you're financially trapped in the meantime b/c of a mortgage, and then you're 60 when it's finally paid off and then you can live again. I want to live now!! Besides, the argument about the long-term value of a house incorrectly assumes that I'm not investing for retirement the money I would be spending on a mortgage.

My mom's arguments are all financial, mine are all emotional. I look at it this way:
1) Yes, WDW may suck in 40 years, 30 years, etc... but a meteor could also strike the Earth and wipe out all human life...
2) Sure, I could get laid off, gawd knows the tech industry is not exactly stable lately, and that is a risk. But even if I got laid off, I'm assuming I could find a job somewhere doing something.
3) The value of a DVC necessarily goes down in value over a time... to me this seems obvious... who'd want to buy 20 years down the road when there's only 30 years left versus 50 years now? But that misses the point... I wouldn't buy into it for it's resale value. As a friend put it, I essentially think of it as "prepaid vacations". It's for me and if I get too frail to enjoy it, my brother's family, or my family if that ever happens... I usually go to WDW twice a year, I go to DL many many times, I go to DLP... I go on Disney vacations more than the average bear. I don't see how this could not help me.

People make arguments about it being cheaper than paying for a Deluxe, or factor in the cost of refrigerators, or the price of hotels over time. None of that really applies to me. The fact is, if I didn't buy a DVC, does that mean I would always stay in Deluxe? Heck no. If I want to go for a quick and cheap trip, I do Value Resorts, especially if I have a free flight and my AP is still valid. Free flight + valid AP + value resort at AP rate = dirt cheap trip. So from a purely financial point of view, DVC might not be the cheapest way for me to go since I do pretty good by AP discounts and almost always go in the off-season (FL is awesome weather-wise Oct-Jan). This year I will stay at Deluxe twice because I wanted the experience and yes, DVC would have made that way cheaper. But would I rather always stay at Deluxe? You betcha!! And I'm sure hotel rates will go up over time so I'm sure locking in the DVC rate is good financially. But for the past several years, with AP discounts and 9/11, Disney resort rates have pretty much stayed the same so that's not a big factor in my decision making either.

The only other con is that, yes, as others have said, you can use the points at other non-DVC Disney resort, but the point cost is MUCH higher. Yes, I could use the points at an exchange resort, but again, point cost MUCH higher. So I look at this as essentially locking myself to always staying at DVC resorts. That would mean I can't *as easily* at a whim decide I want to stay AK Lodge this time, or Coronado next time, etc. I can, but the cost is considerably higher. Also, I usually like to take a book-ended week (4 weekend days + 5 weekdays). That's what I do now and I can get the cheap AP rates. Others have said your point usage is more effective if you don't stay weekends. Then, for me, that's not a fair comparison. Flexibility means I stay when I want to stay, and that's something I'd have to take into consideration about the true value of DVC.

The way I figure it, I'd need a minimum of 200 points ($19k) to stay for 2 weeks at SSR during the Adventure Season. That would be the closest equivalent to my trip patterns now. It does mean I'd have to plan further ahead and I'm known for sometimes deciding I just want to up and go to Disney World.

Now if rumors are true and Disney is considering DVC offerings in CA, that would seriously motivate my interest further. Assuming any DVC resort in CA is treated the same as a DVC resort in FL and that current DVC members would be able to stay at those as easily as they can other existing DVC resorts.

stingrock23

My parents just bought into it, so I haven't yet experienced the pros and cons, but i'm looking forward to it, and right now it seems like it will be a good deal. Only time will tell, though.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Wow, lots of information to digest in this thread. My wife and I are planning to attend a DVC meeting on our next trip, and have several questions that we haven't been able to get answered thru online resources. We are planning on joining, but not during our next trip, we're probably going to wait until next year. I'm going to have to read thru this entire thread ( and the related web sites!!) before we leave on 4/30.

CSUFSteve

HauntedPirate said:
Wow, lots of information to digest in this thread. My wife and I are planning to attend a DVC meeting on our next trip, and have several questions that we haven't been able to get answered thru online resources. We are planning on joining, but not during our next trip, we're probably going to wait until next year. I'm going to have to read thru this entire thread ( and the related web sites!!) before we leave on 4/30.

I just created an Excel spreadsheet that's quite interesting (see separate thread, "DVC Lifetime Costs"). My profile has the link. Thread has the discussion of it. You have any insights for me, I'm in the same boat you are. I want to, but I want to make sure it truly is financially sound.

agdbeanie

I really got into reading this and then realized that most of the posts were from last year...
We (my husband and I) have met w/the DVC people twice on 2 different trips. The first time was in 2001 on our honeymoon. We were just starting out, couldn't afford it at the time, and basically went for the free lunch. Back then the meal was at a really good sit down rest. on the Boardwalk. We went again in 2003 and they gave us an abbreviated presentation. They knew we had been before. This time we could afford it, but still decided against it. We thought long and hard about it after we left WDW because you can be blinded by all the fun your having.
We NEVER pay full price for a room b/c we're FL residents. We always plan our trips when we can get a good discount. We even stayed in a DVC 2-bedroom for only $99 per night once (Hilton Head). We figure we can always find good deals and we're not locked into anything.
Plus we were extremely turned off by the idea of paying "dues" that fluctuate each year. You never know how much they will go up and if it's really worth all the money in the long run (for us that is) because you don't really know how much you'll end up paying over the course of 50 years.
What if something happens and we can't afford tickets/AP's or gas etc.? We go on vacation when we can afford it and when we have time and we don't want to feel like we have to go so we can use our points. For example, we usually go a lot (every 2-3 months), but this past year we haven't been since last May b/c we had a baby in June.
My point is that you never know what your circumstances will be.

celticdog

CSUFSteve said:
I just created an Excel spreadsheet that's quite interesting (see separate thread, "DVC Lifetime Costs"). My profile has the link. Thread has the discussion of it. You have any insights for me, I'm in the same boat you are. I want to, but I want to make sure it truly is financially sound.

Steve:

I took a look at your spreadsheet, very nice. However, I noticed a slight oversight. The yearly dues are paid every year, not just once. Your spreadsheet doesn't take that into account. Plus, the yearly dues also will fluctuate, based upon the economy. But that's a variable thats hard to predict. The yearly dues are very similiar to the homeowner association fees that townhouse and condo owners pay. Take for example your first entry for 150 points for the year 2005. the actual cost should be: $865,31. Here's the math: 150 pts x $95 per pt = $14250 divided by 49 (years in program ) + 574.50 year dues = $865.31. My math does not take into account any interest that may be paid upon the loan for the DVC purchase. So, the costs could be much higher.

Disneyfan1981

Hmmm...a lot of real good arguments both ways but my wife and I are Disney Freaks and getting this will be the excuse to go multiple times (lol) so I think I'll do it...now to find the 14K....

cj2me

We didnt buy mainly because the only HOME resort they were offering is Saratoga Springs, thats a little out of the way for me. If the rumor is true about the Contemporary Rehab and turning the Garden Rooms into DVC then we will DEFINETLY BUY.

cliffordsimmons

HERE is how I think this really boils down!

I love disneyworld and I would love to go every other year or so, and so I think that DVC is just NOT worth it. Here is why.

If you add up the cost of a DVC membership over the course of the 50 year term- it is about $45,000 and up. This assumes a cost of $15,000 to buy into DVC and about $500-600 a year in membership fee's. Now if you assume that your room rates are $300 a night then you end up paying $105,000 over the course of 50 years if you don't buy into DVC. This assumes you go there once a week for 50 years. Now these are some pretty big assumptions.

Lets just say that you have 2 small kids, and you are very enthused about DW. Thats great, for the next 20 years. Then you might start going less. I would also argue that the chances of you liking disneyworld every year for 10, 20, 30 years are silly. Everyone LOVES DW, but going every year for decades? Don't you want to go somewhere else? I am personally a RCI vertern. I have taken advantage of my parents weeks there. That being said, its just not worth it when you go anywhere else in the known world. The reason they do the points system just so you know, is so that with cooperating resorts,they can charge a LOT more. That is why the NEWER timeshares are all points, instead of the older ones that are WEEKS. Of course DVC never did weeks, but older ones like a lot of RCI resorts did. They charge lots of points for a semi-decent resort. So when you think about it, DVC is only useful when going to DW resorts and its only really worth it if you go EVERY year over a long period of time. The key thing for me flexibility. I may want to go to DW next summer, but how about chartering a sailboat in the BVI next year? Thats the point. What is also funny is that a lot of DVCers talk about the great rooms, but then say they mostly use studio's. So its essentially the same room + maybe a kitchenette.

NOW lets just say you use your DVC for 10 years. You have spent $21,000 over the past 10 years, when otherwise you would have spent $21,000! The same. Now a lot of people are saying RESALE!!!! I say, well if the prices are what they are now. These are timeshares after all. When you add in interest on what you bought the DVC for you are paying more. I hate it when no one wants to figure that in, there is a reason master card or visa make so much money.

Cliff

Pippa

My husband and I travel across from the UK every year for 2 weeks at WDW and have done since 1998, we only bought into DVC last year because the exchange rate was GREAT for us and it just seemed silly not to. We know we'll come back every year and we have good friends in Orlando (although I am utterly unimpressed with PI closing).

For us DVC was the way to go.

travelbunni

Definitely worth it!

I wish I bought mine 6 years ago. I spend tons of money on trips, sometimes twice a year from NY and what I paid out was equal to what my purchase was. Now I have 50 years of free hotels anywhere in the world that a not dumpy or shabby.

Definitely worth it. I get at least 2 vacations a year, this year I'll have 3. I have used it for other destinations and found them wonderful. I am pretty picky about where I stay(value and moderate resorts don't cut it), so I have been very pleased with the accomodations.

One thing that it also forces you to do is take a vacation! My husband hated to travel and we didn't for years, but now he goes because we have money invested and he has a great time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom