iPhone 6 camera upgrades

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Some interesting new features in the iPhone 6. Most notable, brand new (Sony?) imaging sensor, phase detect auto-focus, and optical stabilizer for the 6 plus.

Lots of new software features for photography in iOS8.

Will be interesting to see how they perform.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
But can it do raw like android will in the next month or so? I don't see why not.
I don't see the point. Much of the good performance from the camera phones is done with tons of processing and outputting to JPG. I imagine the raw output is pretty poor. Add on to that extra storage requirements, the difficulty in sharing RAWs, and the typical user ability - and I think RAW on a phone all adds up to just another tick on the spec list that isn't really useful.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong, we'll see :)

donsullivan

Premium Member
But can it do raw like android will in the next month or so? I don't see why not.

I'm not sure I would want or care about RAW support on a mobile phone. If I take a photo with my phone, I don't want to spend much if any time processing it, I just want it ready to roll which most mobile phones do a pretty good job of.

Asking for RAW support on a mobile phone always felt to me like one of those very geeky feature requests that some use as a way to dismiss a competitor as inferior because it doesn't support it. That vast majority of the marketplace that buy these devices and are taking most of the photos with them couldn't care less about RAW. They just want the camera and it's associated software to provide a 'good' quality image quickly that they can share on the fly when they want to.

None of the manufactures come close to the camera in the Nokia Lumia 1020.

Based on everything I've read, I don't disagree with this perspective. Unfortunately, those devices have not sold very well in the marketplace and therefore very few have a perspective on what they offer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom