iPhone 5s battery pack or case?

aw14

Hello everyone.

Since we are only 18 days away from our trip to the contemporary, I have been driving my DW crazy about getting a battery case for my 5s. The 3 of us going all have iphones (2 5s' & 1 5c). My DW and DD will have 2 portable lipstick style battery chargers. I personally am not a fan of carrying anything extra and would prefer an all built in case (like the new Otterbox Resurgence or Mophie Juice Pack Plus). Since our phones are our cameras as well, has anyone had experience or advise on how to proceed?

I have thought about ordering directly from Otterbox and using it for the trip then returning it. Alittle dishonest, but serves its point :)

NYwdwfan

Hello everyone.

Since we are only 18 days away from our trip to the contemporary, I have been driving my DW crazy about getting a battery case for my 5s. The 3 of us going all have iphones (2 5s' & 1 5c). My DW and DD will have 2 portable lipstick style battery chargers. I personally am not a fan of carrying anything extra and would prefer an all built in case (like the new Otterbox Resurgence or Mophie Juice Pack Plus). Since our phones are our cameras as well, has anyone had experience or advise on how to proceed?

I have thought about ordering directly from Otterbox and using it for the trip then returning it. Alittle dishonest, but serves its point :)

I also have a 5S. I charged my phone at night, used it all day in the parks taking photos, and charged it again at night, etc. I didn't use it for anything other than taking photos and the occasional text to tell my dad where we were (and to post here). I did not run out of charge on any day of the trip.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I also have a 5S. I charged my phone at night, used it all day in the parks taking photos, and charged it again at night, etc. I didn't use it for anything other than taking photos and the occasional text to tell my dad where we were (and to post here). I did not run out of charge on any day of the trip.

You have the greatest iPhone on earth then. Guard it with your life.

As for us normal iPhone users. The Otterbox is great. A little bulky though. Why not just get another battery pack and stick in into your wife or daughter's bags without them knowing?

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

You have the greatest iPhone on earth then. Guard it with your life.

As for us normal iPhone users. The Otterbox is great. A little bulky though. Why not just get another battery pack and stick in into your wife or daughter's bags without them knowing?

Seriously?! They really lose charge that fast? My husband's can't keep a charge but I thought that was just because he's on Instagram constantly. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
We have four iPhone 5s phones in our family. I can get 18 hours out of it pretty easy with some small steps. I stop pushing e-mail and go to manual update, turn off location services etc.. I'm an AT&T customer and it doesn't use up as much battery finding a good signal and trying to send things since they beefed up their infrastructure a bit.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell397

I have an i-Phone S and I am less than satisfied with the battery life especially when taking lots of photos and videos. We are taking my granddaughter for her first trip to Disney in December and I am looking for a solution to short battery life. I am sure that I will take a bazillion photos and videos. I will check out the Otterbox Battery Pack....any other good option? :cat:

Upvote 0

lunchbox1175

I never have problems with mine, I leave the WIFI off, unless I am using it, and I don't take many photos with it, so mine lasts the entire day no problem. We do have an Anker charger, it charges two phones or iPads at the same time, and usually we can get two full charges for each phone out of it before needing to recharge the battery. It is a little larger than the iPhone is, but fits nicely in the camera bag.

Upvote 0

aw14

Original Poster
I have an i-Phone S and I am less than satisfied with the battery life especially when taking lots of photos and videos. We are taking my granddaughter for her first trip to Disney in December and I am looking for a solution to short battery life. I am sure that I will take a bazillion photos and videos. I will check out the Otterbox Battery Pack....any other good option? :cat:
I tried the Mophie Juice Pack Air and returned it the next day. It killed my phones charge on its own. Might have been defective.

The new otterbox one is only available at their site or through best buy. I love Otterbox, and have a defender I was using for Disney, but now this is out, and I am struggling ;) I definitely have an OCD about phone cases.

Upvote 0

aw14

Original Poster
Wow...I wish mine would do that. After a full day at work, and not on it very much, I am down to 60% by 4pm.

My concern is that in WDW I will be using it alot....so it will drain

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

Wow...I wish mine would do that. After a full day at work, and not on it very much, I am down to 60% by 4pm.

My concern is that in WDW I will be using it alot....so it will drain

I change my email to fetch data hourly, set my phone to automatically connect to the park wifi and close ANY programs so they are not running into the background. I'm surprised so many people have an issue with the charge. Guess I've just been lucky.

Upvote 0

awheartsdw

As @aw14's DW, I can attest that he is more than obsessing over this. I just ordered 2 lipstick-size phone chargers for our daughter and myself and I think she and I will be fine. As for my husband, I said to get one more portable charger, the need for the Otterbox charger is foolish to me-especially just for this trip. He is worried that the charger will fall out of his pocket. I've already offered to hold it for him in my bag. He would just like to be prepared. In times past, we've returned to the hotel and all three of our phones were at zero charge. We'd like for that to not happen this trip. So if you know of a portable charger, or even have an opinion on an actual phone charger, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Upvote 0

journ116

I, too, have an iPhone 5 S, and the battery life leaves little to be desired. With the addition of MDE to park touring, randomly taking photos (to update my sister on the sights and sounds of WDW), and letting my DD's use it in queues to keep 'em busy, my battery would be drained by early evening. I can't imagine how quickly my battery would've gone kaput if I had used it as the sole camera.

Once we got home, my DH and I both invested in a Mophie case, which I use every day and my DH will only need for vacations (he has an iPhone 5). I bought the one that only charges 80%, and has worked out nicely…my only concern, the battery pack seems to get too warm for my liking. If you're in a pinch, the Mophie case is a good option (you might've got a defective the first time), and it doesn't make your phone that bulky.

Last option, bring your charger with, because Disney has installed charging stations in the parks.

Upvote 0

mweier

We've always brought along a 10000 mAh USB battery pack as we've found our two iPhone 5's to be hurting units by mid-day if your'e using touring plans Lines app, MDE, Camera, etc. Just pop the phone in your backpack and it's charged up in under an hour.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0SC-0038-00012

I'm interested in hearing how you like the Mophie. My iPhone 5's battery is SHOT (dead by noon most days - something's clearly wrong with it) and I just ordered a cheap chinese knockoff battery case similar to the Mophie (only 1/3 the price) in hopes of limping to the iPhone 6 release this fall.

Upvote 0

aw14

Original Poster
I returned the mophie and went with a portable charger that is a 10000 mah charger and can charge 2 devices on its own. Also, small enough and light enough to be a non issue.

Now the issue is which protective case should I keep on it? Most likely either the Otterbox Symmetry or Spigen Tough Armor.

I typically have the apple leather case as my daily case, but the fear of drops and excess sweat ruining the leather is stopping me from using it.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

i have a 5s and do not charge it daily. i have my emails pushed every 30 min, check social media at least like 12 times a day, and take a handful of photos every day. if i charge my phone every other day, it's a lot. when i went to my sisters' graduation, i took about 80 photos and was only at about 70% charge when we got there - i still wasn't in the red by the time we got home. if your battery life is that bad, you should go to an apple store or certified reseller and have the battery tested.

having said that, my favorite cases are uncommon deflector cases. i had one for my 4s and now for my 5s. i worked in a tattoo parlor for a couple of years and dropped my 4s on the ceramic floor more times than i care to count (seriously, at least once a week) and i never had any issues.

Upvote 0

PrincessNelly_NJ

They have the new phone charging stations in MK.
But I'm surprised you phone can't stayed charged for a park day... I don't have an Iphone but I would think a brand new phone could pull 14-18 hours of battery easy.

Upvote 0

aw14

Original Poster
I will be using my phone as my primary camera, so I know by mid day it will be drained. We will all probably recharge at lunch.

In terms of durable cases, always a little concerned. Still making my decision but probably going the otterbox route.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom