Introverts on a Cruise?

cursivesailor

Original Poster
My husband and I are both pretty introverted. We have never cruised before because the thought of having to eat dinner with strangers isnt something we would enjoy whatsoever. Dont get me wrong, we arent complete weirdos. We just would rather do our own thing and not be bothered by small talk and hordes of people.

But being the WDW fanatic that I am, I would love to see Castaway Cay.

Any other introverts on here? What are your thoughts on cruises?

(Backstory, we are meyer briggs INTJ and INTF :))

Tom

Beta Return
My wife and I are exactly the same, and we've sailed DCL 3 times now. On one, we requested to be seated at our own tables, and our request was granted. Call DCL and put that request in early, then bring it up again at the port check-in.

On our most recent sailing, we passed on the rotational dining and did Palo one night, Cabana's faux table service one night, and just ate quick service type food the last night.

If you put your request in, and follow up on it a few times, there's a good chance you'll get your own table. Will it be either of your anniversaries or birthdays? If so, you could add that to the notes/request.

Sans Souci

We always ask for a 4 top for the three of us and we have always gotten it. I am like you that I don't like small talk and just that feeling that I have to be "on" at dinner. I am on vacation and I want to relax.

I am an INFJ. :)

Sans Souci

[QUOTE="Sans Souci, I am an INFJ. :)

My husband is the INFJ, while Im the INTJ... he's nicer than me LOL[/QUOTE]

Haha. I totally get where you're coming from. I am sure I come across as the biggest snob at times, but it's just socializing in large groups and small talk is a drain on me. It's not that I don't like socializing/going out, I prefer it in small groups. Also, when I am done, I am done.

rob0519

I can relate as well. We've only been on two cruises and the first, on DCL we had a group of 21 family members, so eating with strangers was not an issue although we had never met 12 of them before the sailing. We've avoided Japanese Steakhouses after being sat with a party of 6 strangers years ago. I wish there was a course "Small Talk at Dinner 101" back in college.

MotherofaPrincessLover

My husband and I are both very shy and we've sailed DCL one time and are sailing again soon. We were seated with another family for supper on the cruise and it actually worked out great. We're hoping to meet up with them on our next vacation. We did request to have our own table this time just because we don't really like spending a bunch of time at meals and when you're seated with other people it seems like you end up spending a lot more time at supper. We'd rather be doing all the other activities onboard!

Phonedave

Nost of the time, if you ask to be seated alone, they will be able to accomodate it. There are also options other than the dining room if you happen to get stuck with horrible dinner partners. I have had some that were quiet, introverted, ate quickly and left, but none that were horrible.I have also met some interesting people as dinner partners. Last cruise we did (not DCL, but Celebrity) we were seated with a couple that was very interesting. She was in her early fifties and he was eighty - but looked like he was 55 (I hope I look as good when I am 80, we spotted him walking around Bermuda in a tank top and board shorts a couple of times). They cruised a LOT (clearly they could afford it). They had just booked back to back to back to back week long cruises to Bermuda. They had cruised all over Europe and had done a 30+ day cruise in Asia. They were awesome to talk to, and we had some great dinner conversations - so you never know, meetnig people may be a good thing (of course I am an ENTP so keep that in mind as well :) )

-dave

jaklgreen

We have taken several Disney cruises and they sit us with other families with kids the same age as ours. It has never been an issue. Most of the time after a friendly "hello" everyone just talks to their own families. You do not need to spend your whole dinner talking to the others at the table. Just say "hi" and leave it at that.

MaryJaneP

As many have said, request your own table. However, although we are shy and probably not true introverts, have experienced both ends of this spectrum without even asking for it. On our first cruise, we (5) were seated with a family of 3, who were great dinner conversationalists. We went on different excursions each port and used dinner to share our experiences. It is accurate to describe dinner as being "on" but it was a short time and we learned a great deal. We are from the east coast of the US, and they were from the west coast of the US. Our next cruise had a family of 3 with an infant request their own table, as it probably should have been. We were, nonetheless, sad that we couldn't share the day's experiences with our dinner friends. Do what is right for you and have a great cruise.

mcstensrud

Following along. Could someone clue me in on the initials?
I would like to figure out which one I am on Disney Cruise :D
Pretty sure I'm an INT and my Hubs is an EXT?

Sans Souci

Following along. Could someone clue me in on the initials?
I would like to figure out which one I am on Disney Cruise :D
Pretty sure I'm an INT and my Hubs is an EXT?

They are personality types indicated by the Myers-Briggs Type Inventory (MBTI). There are a few online quizzes you can take that will tell you which of the 16 personality types you fall into. It's not as accurate as taking the full test at a psychologist's office, but the quizzes are fun and can give a pretty good idea. :)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
They are personality types indicated by the Myers-Briggs Type Inventory (MBTI). There are a few online quizzes you can take that will tell you which of the 16 personality types you fall into. It's not as accurate as taking the full test at a psychologist's office, but the quizzes are fun and can give a pretty good idea. :)

Unless you show up as a sociopath like me.

patch553

We've requested our own table twice on the later seating once we wer lucky the other not, so we dined in the cabanas which was surprisingly quiet and we really enjoyed it

216bruce

I got BSC (bat- crazy). Seeking same for cruise dinners. We can chucked out of Animators Palate together.

Dylan Ann

I am a very sociable, non-shy ISTP (I probably present more as an extrovert and can fake it well, but desperately need my alone time to recharge), and I've gone on several cruises with just my mom and we've been seated at tables for 2 most of the time. On the last cruise we went on, we agreed to be seated with another party the first night - which turned out to be a somewhat annoying, extremely talkative solo traveler - she carried most of the conversation herself! We ate most of the other meals by ourselves, but the most fun meal was when we were seated at a large table for 8 that had 3 other pairs at it. Lots of laughing! When I cruise, I find I am able to find a happy medium between socializing at times - be it at meals or on excursions - and then having plenty of quiet recharge time with a book or in the spa. The last thing you want to do is stress yourself out on vacation, but even if you're shy, it can be fun to be pushed to meet some other people. Many people also love talking about themselves, so if it feels like too much work to carry on a conversation, just ask them a question about themselves and let them go ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom