Internet on Ship

5thGenTexan

I am always weary of "pay" internet. When on land - I went to Vegas on business and ended up with paid internet in the hotel - it was $50 for the week and it did not work at all. And it put a major virus on my computer. However, disney room wifi at the world is always reliable :)

We were in the process of building a house at the time and I was trying to check for updates. Make sure there wasnt something that needed a decision made.

Cesar R M

I am always weary of "pay" internet. When on land - I went to Vegas on business and ended up with paid internet in the hotel - it was $50 for the week and it did not work at all. And it put a major virus on my computer. However, disney room wifi at the world is always reliable :)
if a wifi network gave you a virus, you can only blame your computer for being unprotected imho.
a good software firewall and antivirus should have stopped these kind of attacks easily.

In the past everything I've read says the internet is painfully slow....like dial-up or worse at times. I have never used the internet on the ships. Only time I've ever done anything in the way of connecting via cell phone/Internet was in ports that were US covered (Key West & St. Thomas).

Yeah, hence why I asked if there as been any updates.
Network connectivity as increase a lot on land, but on the sea...satellite signals are still slow or more expensive (specially two way connections)

disney4life2008

if a wifi network gave you a virus, you can only blame your computer for being unprotected imho.
a good software firewall and antivirus should have stopped these kind of attacks easily.

Yeah, hence why I asked if there as been any updates.
Network connectivity as increase a lot on land, but on the sea...satellite signals are still slow or more expensive (specially two way connections)

I did blame my computer. My computer was already dying at the time

ChuckElias

how fast did you feel the internet? was it as slow as dial up as others say?
It's generally pretty slow. There have been times, while paying by the minute, that I've logged out rather than continue to wait for my page to load because I've already been waiting for a minute or two. It's not always that bad, but it can be sloooooooow.

Cesar R M

It's generally pretty slow. There have been times, while paying by the minute, that I've logged out rather than continue to wait for my page to load because I've already been waiting for a minute or two. It's not always that bad, but it can be sloooooooow.
Sounds like they have just.. like a single 1.5Mbps line for the entire ship and have to share with all the clients.

Bolna

I only used the internet for checking my emails (on an account with very little traffic, just family and close friends) and found the internet speed for that absolutely sufficient. I used my Iphone for that (did not bring a computer) and the speed was comparable to when on land I only have an "E" (as compared to 3G or LTE).

Cesar R M

I only used the internet for checking my emails (on an account with very little traffic, just family and close friends) and found the internet speed for that absolutely sufficient. I used my Iphone for that (did not bring a computer) and the speed was comparable to when on land I only have an "E" (as compared to 3G or LTE).
E = edge , which is around 128kbps rate (or double 56k dial up, or the same as a ISDN standard)

Phonedave

will they give a refund if it is too slow to do anything?

We received a refund from United airlines once. Forget about anything like streaming video, it wouldn't even load the Google home page.

I sent them an email (after we landed) and they gave me my money back.

-dave

love disney

Has anyone used the FaceTime app while on the cruise ship wifi? My wife and I are taking a cruise later this month (ends up the same one as the 2nd annual wdwmagic girls cruise and didn't even know it), and we will be away from our little one for the first time ever (well, first time with us both being away). We were thinking of getting a data package and using the wifi to FaceTime a couple of times just to check in. Is this worth it or is it too slow? Thanks!

PS- does anyone know if DCL is still offering the 50mb free package the first day of the cruise?

Bolna

When I was on the Wonder in May websites were loading rather slowly, I don't think FaceTime would have worked there. But this might depend on where you are. It appeared that the internet connection was better in the ports. However, I think FaceTime is going to use up a lot of data, so you might not get a lot of time with your little ones!

Cesar R M

When I was on the Wonder in May websites were loading rather slowly, I don't think FaceTime would have worked there. But this might depend on where you are. It appeared that the internet connection was better in the ports. However, I think FaceTime is going to use up a lot of data, so you might not get a lot of time with your little ones!
Funnily, everything loaded fine at night in the wonder on the last Alaska trip for me.
On ports of course its waaay faster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom