Internet on Ship

MotherofaPrincessLover

Original Poster
Does anyone know if there's internet access while on board? If so, what is the cost? I think I'll need to make changes to my WDW trip while I'm on board.

DISNEY FANTASY

Yes there is Internet onboard it's good and you pay for packages.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/internet-phone-services/

Sample Rates for Connect@Sea
Pay-As-You-GoGet started with this package if you're
not sure how much you'll be online.
You can upgrade to a different package
at any time.$0.25 per MB
SmallThis package is a good choice
for occasional use. Even though you're on vacation,
you still want to keep tabs on things
back home once in a while. Check your email—
and then go back to enjoying your cruise.100 MB
$19.00
($0.19 per MB)
MediumA package for moderate use.
You want to share your cruise experience with
friends and family back home.300 MB
$39.00
($0.13 per MB)
LargeAll these packages can be shared,
but this one makes it easy.
Stream movies or your favorite music.
This package covers all your Internet needs.
LargeAll these packages can be shared,
but this one makes it easy.
Stream movies or your favorite music.
This package covers all your Internet needs.1,000 MB
$89.00
($0.09 per MB)

Bolna

Coincidentally, Disney is testing free 50 megabyte internet packages right now. Should be on all four ships in the next couple of weeks if all goes well. :)

That sounds great!!

I decided to not use a package, but pay by MB. Worked well - until that morning when I forgot my camera in my room, but had taken my IPhone to send a text to the folks back home in Germany from Puerto Vallarta. I thought, why not use the Iphone to snap a few pictures. A little later I check my current data usage and suddenly I have added over 10$ worth of data!!! I had forgotten that I once enabled photostream on my iPhone (even though I did not use it for anything really...) and since it was logged into the wifi network it was busy uploading and going through the MBs very quickly!!! So, the lesson is: If you want to be economical and get a smaller package or pay by the MB, make sure that your device has no hidden features that make it use up a lot of data!!

I had even been so smart, to only check one email account that does not get any spam or newsletters and told all important people to use that account if they wanted to get in touch. Without that mistake with the pictures, I would have used up about 6 or 7 $ with my internet usage. I liked not having a package as it made sure that I still had lots of incentive to just be offline for the cruise, while I was still able to stay in touch with a select few that I wanted to stay in touch with.

Disneyfalcon

That sounds great!!

I decided to not use a package, but pay by MB. Worked well - until that morning when I forgot my camera in my room, but had taken my IPhone to send a text to the folks back home in Germany from Puerto Vallarta. I thought, why not use the Iphone to snap a few pictures. A little later I check my current data usage and suddenly I have added over 10$ worth of data!!! I had forgotten that I once enabled photostream on my iPhone (even though I did not use it for anything really...) and since it was logged into the wifi network it was busy uploading and going through the MBs very quickly!!! So, the lesson is: If you want to be economical and get a smaller package or pay by the MB, make sure that your device has no hidden features that make it use up a lot of data!!

I had even been so smart, to only check one email account that does not get any spam or newsletters and told all important people to use that account if they wanted to get in touch. Without that mistake with the pictures, I would have used up about 6 or 7 $ with my internet usage. I liked not having a package as it made sure that I still had lots of incentive to just be offline for the cruise, while I was still able to stay in touch with a select few that I wanted to stay in touch with.

It does! It's very exciting!

I've heard nightmare stories of people getting huge bills when they got back not realizing something was enabled. Everyone in my family is under strict instructions to go into airplane mode as soon as we sail away. The pay for usage plans help with the problem of forgetting you are logged in and paying more as well! :)

Bolna

It does! It's very exciting!

I've heard nightmare stories of people getting huge bills when they got back not realizing something was enabled. Everyone in my family is under strict instructions to go into airplane mode as soon as we sail away. The pay for usage plans help with the problem of forgetting you are logged in and paying more as well! :)

Here in Europe all phone companies have to let you know if you have incurred 50 € in roaming charges and only are allowed to continue to provide services for you (that they charge you for) if you send them a text agreeing to it. The same procedure has to be repeated every time another 50 € are hit. I think that's a good mechanism to prevent the biggest damage!

On the pay per MB plan you can actually set a limit as well, but unfortunately the lowest is 20 $ which I did not reach even with my stupid picture uploading. I would have preferred a limit of 10 $ as a first alert.

rick3236

Coincidentally, Disney is testing free 50 megabyte internet packages right now. Should be on all four ships in the next couple of weeks if all goes well. :)

We just returned from 4 days on the Dream and I have some more information on the free 50 MB. It is only available on the 1st night of the cruise. You "purchase" it as you normally would any internet package it is available as one of the package options - but it says free and is not charged to your account. Once you buy it you can use it on any device.

It was a nice option, we did not use it a lot, but did check emails once and uploaded some pictures.

Disneyfalcon

We just returned from 4 days on the Dream and I have some more information on the free 50 MB. It is only available on the 1st night of the cruise. You "purchase" it as you normally would any internet package it is available as one of the package options - but it says free and is not charged to your account. Once you buy it you can use it on any device.

It was a nice option, we did not use it a lot, but did check emails once and uploaded some pictures.

Yay! First hand experience! :)

sweetpee_1993

So you have to "purchase" it the first night then its yours until the the MBs run out regardless of days?

rick3236

I saw a picture of the Navigator and that is correct. Rick can correct me if I'm wrong! :)

That is correct, as long as you "purchase" it on the first day you can use it throughout the cruise regardless of length until the MB run out.

I am still unpacking, but when I find my Navigator from the first day I will post a picture of it.

ChuckElias

That is correct, as long as you "purchase" it on the first day you can use it throughout the cruise regardless of length until the MB run out.

I am still unpacking, but when I find my Navigator from the first day I will post a picture of it.
Wow, this is actually pretty awesome, isn't it? :cautious:

rick3236

Here is the "Connect at Sea" section from the first day Navigator from the Dream on 6/1. It gives a good explanation of the free 50 MB.
2014-06-08 14.53.38.jpg

Ricky

MaryJaneP

IMHO, get biggest package you think you will use. I underestimated and ended up buying a 100 mb package for $19, and then another when the I used up the first. For $1 more, I should have purchased the 300 mb package. Not a big user, but still plowed through the mb pretty quickly. Live and learn.

sweetpee_1993

Thanks for sharing!
definitively will try that thing once I'm in the Wonder! (or this offer only applies to the new ships only?)

Also, I wonder what kind of connection the ships have...
In the past everything I've read says the internet is painfully slow....like dial-up or worse at times. I have never used the internet on the ships. Only time I've ever done anything in the way of connecting via cell phone/Internet was in ports that were US covered (Key West & St. Thomas).

wogwog

In the past everything I've read says the internet is painfully slow....like dial-up or worse at times. I have never used the internet on the ships. Only time I've ever done anything in the way of connecting via cell phone/Internet was in ports that were US covered (Key West & St. Thomas).
Never use it myself because a cruise is a time away from all that stuff to me. But courtesy of my more nerdy daughter who does occasionally make contact to the non-cruising folks..... http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/internet-phone-services/#wifi

This is from the DCL booking site.

disney4life2008

I paid by the minute and most of my minutes were used waiting for the page to never load. :arghh:

I am always weary of "pay" internet. When on land - I went to Vegas on business and ended up with paid internet in the hotel - it was $50 for the week and it did not work at all. And it put a major virus on my computer. However, disney room wifi at the world is always reliable :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom