Internet Disney Radio Stations May Go Off-Air

BeachClubVillas

I operate "Radio Buena Vista" on Live 365, and my day job is managing a college radio station with a web stream, so I'm doubly screwed!

Live 365 and other internet entities are appealing the decision, but this has been in the works for several years, and I doubt they'll reverse course. There is too much money for corporate radio at stake, and they don't want competition from people who will actually provide a nice alternative to the crap they serve up.

Right now, we (broadcasters) pay a premium to Live 365 which includes royalty payments (whether we're broadcasting licensed music or not - it's one flat rate for everyone.) It's a reasonable rate right now, but when these rules go into effect, it will depend on how Live 365 passes on the costs as to whether I (and assume my other Disney radio friends) will survive. My station is non-commercial, and the best I can hope for is a minimum fee of $500. Plus whatever Live 365 charges for their service. That's getting to be an expensive hobby!

Your station is my favorite! I hope you can still operate

PurpleDragon

I operate "Radio Buena Vista" on Live 365, and my day job is managing a college radio station with a web stream, so I'm doubly screwed!

Live 365 and other internet entities are appealing the decision, but this has been in the works for several years, and I doubt they'll reverse course. There is too much money for corporate radio at stake, and they don't want competition from people who will actually provide a nice alternative to the crap they serve up.

Right now, we (broadcasters) pay a premium to Live 365 which includes royalty payments (whether we're broadcasting licensed music or not - it's one flat rate for everyone.) It's a reasonable rate right now, but when these rules go into effect, it will depend on how Live 365 passes on the costs as to whether I (and assume my other Disney radio friends) will survive. My station is non-commercial, and the best I can hope for is a minimum fee of $500. Plus whatever Live 365 charges for their service. That's getting to be an expensive hobby!

I must commend you, out of all the Live365 stations, my favorites are Radio Buena Vista, Park Hopper Radio, and D-Magic Radio. I bounce around to other ones every now and again, but those 3 are my favorite ones. :wave:

Keep up the good work, and I hope this decision gets overturned and you guys won't be forced to play anymore money than you already do.

radioandy

Thanks y'all! And some good news from Live 365 this week. The immediate plan is to slightly increase the number of commercial breaks, and good more revenue from advertisers. For now, they don't intend to pass the increased royalty costs on to broadcasters or listeners.

Those of us who are "VIP listeners" (only a few dollars a month) continue to get Live 365 commercial free.

prberk

I hope they reverse the decision, or at least lower it. (By the way, traditional radio is NOT free to the radio stations -- they DO have to pay royalties for the songs played -- but the formula is a little different).

I listen, as you can probably tell, to WSM (www.wsmonline.com), the radio station from Nashville that has the WSM Grand Ole Opry live every Saturday night (for 80+ years), and that made country famous. This unique institution, just as the independent Disney stations, is a good reason to keep Internet radio viable -- it encourages competition and keeps things fresh.

Paul

Senderella

Thanks y'all! And some good news from Live 365 this week. The immediate plan is to slightly increase the number of commercial breaks, and good more revenue from advertisers. For now, they don't intend to pass the increased royalty costs on to broadcasters or listeners.

Those of us who are "VIP listeners" (only a few dollars a month) continue to get Live 365 commercial free.

That's great news Andy. Thanks for the update.

schro513

I saw in the news today that the Copyright Royalty Board had denied all requests in association with this on Monday (4/16) and that the new rates would go into effect as of May 15th. Anyone that has one of these stations out there have any information on how it will effect some of the Disney Radio stations out there?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom