Internet Disney Radio Stations May Go Off-Air

gettingsmaller

I think you guys are missing what I would consider to be the point.
RIAA, MPAA, Sirius, and every other big company do not like the fact that Joe Blow can start his own internet radio station with little or no money. They are outsiders and too hard to 'control'. So, they do the next best thing to control--squash them with things like royalties and legislation that is so burdensome that a small operation can't deal with it.

I may be a bit of a conspiracy theorist, but that's how I see it. By the way, I also think that all the protectionist things these companies have had enacted (Digital Millenium Copyright Act, e.g.) are proof that they are dinosaurs stuck in defensive mode. They're going to have to change with the environment (tech) or become extinct (which would not make me sad, in most cases).

PurpleDragon

How do they plan on collecting a royalty fee from a live recording of a ride or event? If you record something at the park and then put that in your internet broadcast you should be royalty free.

They won't directly be collecting royalties from specific stations, they will more than likely make Live365.com or similar hosting sites, pay for the royalties. Because of this they will be forced to raise their monthly broadcasting fees that they charge the broadcasters, possibly to a point that will make it too costly for these stations to continue broadcasting, and thus forcing them off the air.

wdwishes2005

disneynut_la, I agree with you that this could be blown totally out of proportion. It's just in my belief that they will go first after those companies with money. The less the can spend on lawsuits per payment, the better for them. I just hope they hit headlong with those that have money and are able to stand up to them so that a court will step in quickly and make a ruling on this situation. Hopefully a fair and legitimate ruling and get this situation where the RIAA doesn't want it, the mass media.
These people sued a 9 year old girl, a mentally challenged person, and a dead woman. They could care less, they just like being bullies.

usmalum

From what i understand about it all, is that ALL music that is streamed online is in trouble of going quiet. That includes Sirius, AOL, LIVE365, etc. I love Sorcerer Radio, and will just be torn if i can not listen to it at work all day. :brick:

Here is more info on it from LIVE365: http://www.live365.com/choice/

bgraham34

I hate the RIAA. I will download music without paying for it until they decide to the lower the price of all music. CD's should not be over 10 dollars. .99 cents for a downloaded sing is still high considering you dont even get cd quality. I am not looking forward to the day when you will no longer be going into a store to purchase your media. Ughh I hate the RIAA

CJR

The RIAA is a bunch of rich fools. They tried to sue a company that isn't even in the United States for $1 Trillion. What kind of place comes up with stuff like that? I will be a happy person when that place collapses. It'll take a while, but in the end they will lose because few people like them. At most, most people don't care about them.

I don't encourage illegal downloading, but I think the RIAA makes legal downloading unreasonable and should get the boot. I hate how they use our government to bully people (and companies) around. We should start up an organization that serves the same purpose of RIAA, but doesn't bully people around and get a new group of artists and such to join and kill the RIAA. That'll show em.

Senderella

Well couldn't Live365 and the other stations that have the option to become VIP just do away with the free option (as much as it stinks) if it came down to needing $$ to continue to operate? :shrug: This really stinks though.. I just did the VIP for Live365 and I'm really happy with it. Especially since they have a winamp like Live365 player for the desktop.

radioandy

I operate "Radio Buena Vista" on Live 365, and my day job is managing a college radio station with a web stream, so I'm doubly screwed!

Live 365 and other internet entities are appealing the decision, but this has been in the works for several years, and I doubt they'll reverse course. There is too much money for corporate radio at stake, and they don't want competition from people who will actually provide a nice alternative to the crap they serve up.

Right now, we (broadcasters) pay a premium to Live 365 which includes royalty payments (whether we're broadcasting licensed music or not - it's one flat rate for everyone.) It's a reasonable rate right now, but when these rules go into effect, it will depend on how Live 365 passes on the costs as to whether I (and assume my other Disney radio friends) will survive. My station is non-commercial, and the best I can hope for is a minimum fee of $500. Plus whatever Live 365 charges for their service. That's getting to be an expensive hobby!

joshwill

From what i understand about it all, is that ALL music that is streamed online is in trouble of going quiet. That includes Sirius, AOL, LIVE365, etc. I love Sorcerer Radio, and will just be torn if i can not listen to it at work all day. :brick:

Here is more info on it from LIVE365: http://www.live365.com/choice/

i too enjoy sorcerer radio as well as mouseworld radio and a few others. thats the only reason i bought a vip memership to live365 was for the disney stations.

i hope they work this out, even if i have to pay a little bit more, it would be worth it.

packwingfn

Does anyone listen to Subsonic Radio? I listen to that every day and would be very sad if it had to go, I think I would pay money to keep it alive

DznyRktekt

I operate "Radio Buena Vista" on Live 365, and my day job is managing a college radio station with a web stream, so I'm doubly screwed!

Live 365 and other internet entities are appealing the decision, but this has been in the works for several years, and I doubt they'll reverse course. There is too much money for corporate radio at stake, and they don't want competition from people who will actually provide a nice alternative to the crap they serve up.

Right now, we (broadcasters) pay a premium to Live 365 which includes royalty payments (whether we're broadcasting licensed music or not - it's one flat rate for everyone.) It's a reasonable rate right now, but when these rules go into effect, it will depend on how Live 365 passes on the costs as to whether I (and assume my other Disney radio friends) will survive. My station is non-commercial, and the best I can hope for is a minimum fee of $500. Plus whatever Live 365 charges for their service. That's getting to be an expensive hobby!

Your Station is something that makes my workday fly by. This makes me very sad indeed. Thank you for the time and effort you put into your hobby.

"Celebrate the future. The music of Future World and Tomorrowland."

tink81

Does anyone listen to Subsonic Radio? I listen to that every day and would be very sad if it had to go, I think I would pay money to keep it alive

I listen everyday! In fact, I am listening as we speak (well, type), it keeps me sane at my job. I think of it as my daily dose of pixie dust and I agree with the other poster who said something about paying for a subscription.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom