International

Amy Brewer

Original Poster
Hello,

My dream is to work either at Walt Disney World, or the Disney Animation Studios Burbank California.
I live in the United Kingdom and I visit DisneyWorld every single year.

We went on the Keys to the Kingdom tour last year where we discovered all the amazing hidden secrets Magic kingdom has to offer. At the end, our tour guide broke down in tears explaining how she loved her job and how anyone who works at Disney wants to work there.
Well I want to work there. I am Disney obsessed, I'm convinced it runs through my blood!
I love the classic films but I also love the History of where everything came from and how the park and company runs today.
I love drawing my favourite Disney characters, and I literally do not stop talking about Disney that my family are getting pretty sick to death of it.

I attend University where I study Graphic Design. Once I have finished in 2 years time I plan on trying to do an internship at Disney.

What I want to know is, am I dreaming to big or is it possible for me to work at Disney World, considering I am a United Kingdom resident and hope to move to America one day to make my dream come true?

fugawe09

A good place to start might be looking into Disney International College Program. For UK students, length can range from 2 months to 1 year. I don't think any dream is too big, but here is something that I want to make clear... many CMs feel that Disney is a great place to work, but there are certainly plenty who don't. If this is something you are considering, I encourage you to read up on others' experiences and make sure your expectations are in line with the realities of the job.

Amy Brewer

Original Poster
Thank you ever so much. What I'll do is carry on at University to gain the degree. From social media accounts I see different international students attending the Disney International College Program, where they can spend up to a year learning the tricks of the trade to earn their ears and they seem to love it. I will have a look at the different experiences people have been on.
I understand what you mean by CMs not all enjoying it, I understand that Disney is a large company finding ways to earn money and in some ways exploiting their CM's with minimal pay for the hours they may do. But this doesn't bother me, because every moment spent in the parks would be a dream even if it is for work.
Thank you!

CaptainShortty

Thank you ever so much. What I'll do is carry on at University to gain the degree. From social media accounts I see different international students attending the Disney International College Program, where they can spend up to a year learning the tricks of the trade to earn their ears and they seem to love it. I will have a look at the different experiences people have been on.
I understand what you mean by CMs not all enjoying it, I understand that Disney is a large company finding ways to earn money and in some ways exploiting their CM's with minimal pay for the hours they may do. But this doesn't bother me, because every moment spent in the parks would be a dream even if it is for work.
Thank you!

I second everything that was said in the previous ICP post. I was a CP and it was an absolutely amazing experience. I'm now a leader in the parks and I never would have gotten where I was without my college program! Make sure you know the guidelines surrounding applying for the program and talk to your university. You have to either be enrolled in school or graduated in I believe less than 6 months from when your program starts.

If I can answer any questions about the program let me know. I'm happy to help!

Amy Brewer

Original Poster
I second everything that was said in the previous ICP post. I was a CP and it was an absolutely amazing experience. I'm now a leader in the parks and I never would have gotten where I was without my college program! Make sure you know the guidelines surrounding applying for the program and talk to your university. You have to either be enrolled in school or graduated in I believe less than 6 months from when your program starts.

If I can answer any questions about the program let me know. I'm happy to help!
That sounds awesome! Okay I do have a few questions.
1. I don't know know if you may Know but for international students would they put you up in accommodation or would you have to find your own?
2. Do they give you experience at each park?
I hope I wouldn't be found annoying if I was to take this on as I literally talk of Disney from the moment I wake up to the moment I sleep. I can't wait to go back in Septemeber for a week. It's my laughing place!

fugawe09

1. ICPs generally stay at one of the Disney-run apartment complexes. They include bus transportation to your work location as well as a few shopping destinations (Wal-Mart) as part of the program. They take rent out of your check every week. About $80-100 a week, depending on accommodation.

2. Usually you have one or two roles for the length of your program. For longer programs, sometimes they flip you partway through (ie: all the merchandise and quick service food and beverage ICPs trade places). Some areas encompass multiple work locations. For example, if you get assigned Magic Kingdom Outdoor Foods, you will work all the different popcorn carts in the park, not just one. There are a few roles like Photopass or Character Attendant where you are based out of one park, but you could get sent anywhere on a given day. During certain times of the year there are exceptions where people get "deployed" (ie: during Epcot Food and Wine, they borrow a lot of food and beverage Cast from other parks). You can also sign up for extra shifts that you have the appropriate training for (perhaps you are Epcot merchandise, you can sign up for extra hours at World of Disney at DTD).

hippymeow

Hi there! I'm from the UK and did the ICP in 2013 (Outdoor Foods, Magic Kingdom).
There are 3 options for us brits really, unfortunatly its pretty difficult for us to get over to Florida on a permanent basis. There is the ICP (J-1 Cultural Exchange), which you do while in university for 9 weeks during the summer. There is also the academic exchange which is done for 6 months, although you have to be studying a related subject at a select number of universities that have partnerships with some american colleges. Lastly, there is the Cultural Representative Program, which is for a year working in the epcot UK pavilion (with this one you cannot pick up shifts anywhere else). Applications are actually open right now for the programs through a website called YummyJobs. If you wanna know anything else I have a number of blog posts and videos on it (link on my profile).
I wish it was easier for us brits to go and work in the parks full time, i would be over there in an instant. Working at Disney was the best experience of my life, and i would give anything to go back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom