Interesting Hint from Tony Baxter

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
Not sure if anyone else picked up on this, but it has certainly gotten me thinking over the past few days. Buried in Sue Kruse's wonderful column about Destination D was this interesting tidbit by Tony Baxter, who is all-but-officially working on at least one of the all-but-official E-Tickets coming to Disneyland soon:

When a guest walks into Radiator Springs and down Route 66 they enter the world of that movie. It’s exponential growth in the immersive experience. Tony was asked what’s next, what other environments, what other Disney films? How does Imagineering continue that progression forward?

Baxter responded, “You know there’s a great thing that’s happened in Radiator Springs. It’s called Lots Of Money. And that does allow you to create something that you couldn’t afford for the 17 million dollars. But on the other side of the coin, emotion can engage you even more strongly than having to build physical things and so for me, I look at being able to take people out of the way the real world functions and put them in something you couldn’t dare to do or couldn’t conceive of doing unless you were a very skilled person.”
“I think that’s the joy of going on Soarin’ (Over California). Most of us would be comfortable hang gliding over all of the scenes you see in there. But when I took my 95-year-old professor from college on it, she looked at me and she was almost in tears. I don’t know how your eyes function when you’re 95, but she’s very physical and she said, ‘I never dreamed at my stage in life that I would be put into a situation like that,’ and she said, ‘I now feel as though I now know what it would be like to soar over the world in that way.’
“I’ve got a thing going right now that allows you to do something, I better be careful here — they’ll kill me, it allows you to do something competitively, not with video games and getting a score and all that. I think that’s a whole world thing, it’s not a theme park thing in the end. What I’m working on allows you with other guests to compete with one another to get somewhere ahead of them. I don’t think we’ve ever provided that before. So that excites me. It’s not any one thing, it’s not necessarily more expensive, it’s just allowing you to deliver something that we can’t get on our own devices.”
Things that make you go "Hmm..."

nemofinder22

I hope whatever happens with Tony's next project it's given lots of money as well. Interesting Tony gave this hint certainly something is gaining steam at WDI and TDA.

Thanks for posting this Cosmic! I would have otherwise missed it.

TP2000

Maybe Tony is putting these pedal-car things up on the PeopleMover track? :D

3144999857_e97224be55_b.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3083/3144999857_e97224be55_b.jpg

Cosmic Commando

Original Poster
Maybe Tony is putting these pedal-car things up on the PeopleMover track? :D

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3083/3144999857_e97224be55_b.jpg
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if something like that happened. Have you ever done the Mission:Space post-show games? For those of you who have never been, there's maybe twenty stations in front of a wall-sized screen; they're divided into two teams and you race to get back to Earth by performing well on the video game stations. They're simple video games designed to look like some kind of control panel that astronauts might use: flip all of these switches to green, re-route the power around this problem, align this thingy properly, etc. He said he doesn't want video games, but the idea could be similar. Imagine a ride where you have some kind of task in your ride vehicle and what you do in your ride vehicle actually affects the ride experience(like what they tried to fake in Mission:Space), sort of the next generation of the RSR racing scene?

the.dreamfinder

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if this panel was posted online anywhere? There was a five minute excerpt posted onto YouTube, but this seems to have been a very interesting panel based on the reports from other sites.

Californian Elitist

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if this panel was posted online anywhere? There was a five minute excerpt posted onto YouTube, but this seems to have been a very interesting panel based on the reports from other sites.

I bet someone recorded the whole thing and will be posting it on YouTube sooner than later. Just keep looking. There's a written version of the panel on MiceChat right now, I believe.

WDW1974

Yeah, I enjoyed reading her column.

I hope to run into Tony ... I tend to do so regularly at DL ... oh, and at restrooms at EPCOT and the Hollywood Bowl (and I'm planning on attending the fireworks finale concert on 9/16 if possible!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom