Insulin Sharps Disposal

BigRedDad

My DW is a Type 1 diabetic now. We have not traveled since she had to start using sharps. I have a few questions for anyone in the know...

Sharps: Lancets for testing blood, needles for insulin injections, etc
  1. Where/how do you dispose of sharps while in the parks?
  2. Where/how do you dispose of the sharps while at your resort?

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Thanks. We are not at a Disney resort. I contacted our resorts and neither have containers. I was able to order 2 off Amazon that will be here Thursday. We leave on Friday. Amazon said if they are not here by Thursday, they will next-day air them to our first resort.

As for the parks, I know first aid has disposal. My question is what do you put the sharps in while out and about in the park before going to the First Aid station?

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

When my parents are out the testing thing (sorry don't know the technical names) is small and it fits in an empty pill bottle. Same with the needle because they use a pen/injection. Once the get back to their room the put it in the Sharps container.

Upvote 0

Jahona

My dad is type 2 but insulin dependent. When he goes to the park he keeps everything in a small kit and collects the used items during the day to dispose of in a container at the hotel room. He marks the needles he uses with a sharpie and puts the caps back on them. He has a bad habit of reusing lancets and only replaces them every couple of days. When he replaces a lancet he puts the cap of the new lancet on the old one and puts it, either in the hazard container or in a film canister.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I have found while in the parks, most of the bathrooms have a sharps container on the wall. However sometimes they are full so I just put my needle in a pocket in my purse until I come across one that is not full. I have called Mousekeeping and the Front desk to have a sharps containers delivered. If I am in a hotel that doesn't give me a sharps container I put it in a cup or water bottle.

Many years ago at Walgreens I bought a needle clipper that is easy to use for needle disposal and carry in my purse but it could easily fit in a kit or pocket. http://www.vitalitymedical.com/bd-safe-clip-insulin-syringe-needle-clipper.html

By the way, when I took my last Disney cruise I asked my room attendant for a sharps container and he said there was already one in the bathroom. It was a small portable one. I don't know if they are standard or if they had it in their records that I needed one on my previous cruise. I will be taking another cruise again soon so I will find out, either way though I thought that was really smart of them.

I think sharps containers should be mandatory in all public restrooms, it is a safety thing for everyone.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

My mother was a Type 1 diabetic. She used to just tuck a syringe or two into the soft-sided rectangular case that held her glucose test kit (which she kept in her purse). She'd hold on to the used ones (capped, of course) in a separate pocket of the case, and dispose of them later (at home or the hotel).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Original Poster
We went to the pharmacy and picked up 2 of the taller prescription bottles while roaming around. If we need to empty it at the park, DW can go to the restroom and dispose there. There should be no need to use that many, but you never know. We ordered 2 in-room sharps disposal containers. Amazon guaranteed delivery by tomorrow. If it does not arrive they will next day air a new order to our resort.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom