Innoventions West to Close in May?

bethymouse

Apparently there has been talk of Hiro & Baymax's meet and greet moving to Innoventions. Not a fan of characters in Epcot, but if done correctly Big Hero 6 could breathe necessary and appropriate life back into Innoventions/Communicore.
That would be nice. Yes, I know a new meet n greet, but what else can they do about that space? I wonder what the imagineers can do now to get us ready for the next century! LOL. So many possibilities...;)

ToTBellHop

American Adventure had both American Express and the Coca Cola company joint sponsor it.

Not to mention Norway by NorShow
Maelstrom by SAS
Wonders of China by CPEcorp
O'Canada by Telecom Canada

But since you think I'm a liar as you said elsewhere you won't believe that either.
dont_lie_to_me_harry_potter.gif

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thought I'd add a note & link here for those who were curious about the FIRST robotics that have been mentioned, be it in relation to Disney or just for their own kids or curiousity: The regional championship events are ramping up for the next few days. All are streamed on Twitchtv. (I prefer to use http://www.thebluealliance.com/gameday#layout=2&view_0=2015necmp-1 - you can adjust to see different events around the country.) Don't let the name or idea of the game fool you. Although one might think 'recycle' is a boring game as the robots stack totes on platforms, topped by a trash bin and a pool noodle, they're quite fun. Watch for flying noodles.

I'm in New England as you can tell from the link above, but had to laugh at this morning's tweet from Michigan (where they have TWO fields set up) (Talk about potential energy and excitement: Take that Disney!):
CCJmG8NUIAIvuvl.jpg:large

Love the face on the noodle!, You going to the Worcester regional at WPI?

CJR

There's also a difference between sponsors and 3rd party participants.

Who all might be completely supportive when Disney does a presentation explaining how it will increase traffic to their location by x percent.

They're in it to make money, if Disney promises money making opportunities to their businesses, they'll almost certainly let Disney do whatever they want without much, if any, objection. They're unlikely to stand in Disney's way if it will bring interest to their area of the park.

note2001

Love the face on the noodle!, You going to the Worcester regional at WPI?

Isn't that face the best? I love geeks so much, doesn't matter how young or old they are.
The kids are there today/tomorrow & Saturday. I'll try to get over on Saturday, but seating is limited. Would be best just to watch the video stream from home.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Isn't that face the best? I love geeks so much, doesn't matter how young or old they are.
The kids are there today/tomorrow & Saturday. I'll try to get over on Saturday, but seating is limited. Would be best just to watch the video stream from home.

It's what I'm planning to do, I'm a technical mentor so I usually skip the competitions DW usually goes as a teacher she's good at keeping kids focused.

note2001

Excellent experience for them! My son's a senior so this is his last year as a member (says he wants to mentor.) Can they get in behind to the pits to see how those work?

Disney has no clue the power they have over driving kid's imagination and desire to get into these fields. I know I'm a programmer today because of what Communicore used to be. It was either programming or becoming a female version of Spielberg. :) (This is Massachusetts, not Hollywood so the latter was out.)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Excellent experience for them! My son's a senior so this is his last year as a member (says he wants to mentor.) Can they get in behind to the pits to see how those work?

Disney has no clue the power they have over driving kid's imagination and desire to get into these fields. I know I'm a programmer today because of what Communicore used to be. It was either programming or becoming a female version of Spielberg. :) (This is Massachusetts, not Hollywood so the latter was out.)

On our team many of the mentors have PhD's in various engineering disciplines but we steadfastly REFUSE to do any of the work other than welding or water jet work (too hazardous for the kids and a liability nightmare).

But in order for the kids to have us do the work we insist on a work order i.e. dimensioned drawing with material and general instructions (we don't expect them to give us feed rates or specify materials beyond steel,aluminum and plastics)

We do teach them how to mill and turn however.

Our team's goal is not so much to WIN but to give the kids what it's really LIKE to be an engineer which in the end is how do you build what you WANT with what you HAVE (materials, budget etc).

What bugs me are the teams where the mentor's build the robots - yes they WIN frequently but did they really LEARN anything. We've been to the nationals a few times and won regionals but that's never been a goal for us.

CDavid

If they only they had found a corporate sponsor for rubber bracelets we could have nice things...........;)

That's the one project that, had it never happened for lack of a sponsor, we'd be so much better off.

I wish that this had happened. It would've been beautiful! I'd have lamented the loss of SpaceShip Earth though...

Uh. No. Project Gemini always struck me as a misguided attempt to make Epcot more like the original California Adventure (rain forest coaster, maze, etc.). We know how well that worked out.

Those responsible for Project Gemini appeared to be badly out of touch with, and have a poor understanding of, what Epcot Center guests actually want and expect and what expansions and refurbishments the park really needed (and still does).

CaptainAmerica

That's the one project that, had it never happened for lack of a sponsor, we'd be so much better off.
Not really. Capital projects are approved if they're NPV positive, independent of other projects. Overruns due to NextGen may have caused DELAYS with other capital spending, but it wouldn't have caused outright cancelations. A project that's projected to be profitable doesn't get canceled just because some other (also profitable) project goes over budget.

DDLand

Uh. No. Project Gemini always struck me as a misguided attempt to make Epcot more like the original California Adventure (rain forest coaster, maze, etc.). We know how well that worked out.
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the Grizzly Peak area? If so, it's got to be one of the most beautiful areas in any Disney domestic park. One of my personnel favorite lands. I don't think it's a mistake that Soarin is being engulfed into that land. Besides that there's little resemblance.
Those responsible for Project Gemini appeared to be badly out of touch with, and have a poor understanding of, what Epcot Center guests actually want and expect and what expansions and refurbishments the park really needed (and still does).
I don't get it. It would've had more open green space. What's not to like about that? Nobody said the future had to have no nature. The architecture/design in Future World is dated, and needs some work. I think project Gemini would of addressed some of the key issues.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom