Innoventions Habit Heroes closes for rework

Patricia Melton

I watched the video posted of the reworked Habit Heroes...and I honestly can't believe Disney spent money on this. I am curious to see if people enjoy HH. My family would not like it but I will give it a chance when we are down in Orlando in May. I showed my husband the video and he said it looked stupid. This weekend I will show my niece and nephew the video and see if they want to do this when we are at EPCOT. I don't think they will, but life is full of surprises.

janoimagine

If you looked around threads concerning ECVs, some would try to have you convinced that the ECV use all stems from legitimate health issues. When you point out that there weren't so many "health issues" back in the 1980s, the argument then shifts to the supposed fact that it's because those people were shamed into not going out in public back then because society wasn't as accepting and accessible.

Not to go down this road ... (OK what the hell) ... but did you happen to see the special CBS did on ECV's last monday? The stats are staggering, something like 80% of current power chair, evc, scooters whatever you want to call them, owners have them unnecessarily. Manufacturers (the biggest culprit being the 'Scooter Store') are actually having reps go as far as going to the doctors with the patients to bully the doctor into writing the script to have medicare approve the device, and doctors who refused to issue the script to paitients who did not need them, saw a loss in business. They (congress) determined that Medicare was billed 100+ million for chairs (by the scooter store alone) by people who had no need or no business having those chairs.

All a senator would have to do is spend one week at the Food and Wine fest to see first hand the abuse of ECV's.

Your stats are spot on my friend ... people keep eating more and exercising less ... obesity in this country is rising daily and when they can't walk anymore because they are too heavy or their weight causes to much stress on their joints, the get an ECV ... and just pile on another 50.

Edit: Sorry for the bump Tom.

WDWFigment

Not to go down this road ... (OK what the hell) ... but did you happen to see the special CBS did on ECV's last monday? The stats are staggering, something like 80% of current power chair, evc, scooters whatever you want to call them, owners have them unnecessarily. Manufacturers (the biggest culprit being the 'Scooter Store') are actually having reps go as far as going to the doctors with the patients to bully the doctor into writing the script to have medicare approve the device, and doctors who refused to issue the script to paitients who did not need them, saw a loss in business. They (congress) determined that Medicare was billed 100+ million for chairs (by the scooter store alone) by people who had no need or no business having those chairs.

All a senator would have to do is spend one week at the Food and Wine fest to see first hand the abuse of ECV's.

Your stats are spot on my friend ... people keep eating more and exercising less ... obesity in this country is rising daily and when they can't walk anymore because they are too heavy or their weight causes to much stress on their joints, the get an ECV ... and just pile on another 50.

Edit: Sorry for the bump Tom.

I did not see the special, but would be very interested. If you have any more information as to which CBS program it was on, that would be great. This is a subject that really fascinates me for some odd reason.

When we went to Europe last fall, I don't recall seeing a single ECV in England or France. I know there are ECVs there, but the fact that I didn't notice any speaks volumes as to just how many are there.

When you point this out to people, they argue that Europe isn't as welcoming to these devices, which goes back to the same shamed argument. That might be true to an extent (Disneyland Paris seemed fairly accessible to me), but it's certainly not the sole explanation.

The other explanation is that people walk more in Europe.

I think it's undeniable that America has a problem with handicaps that are self-inflicted and with ECV abuse (abuse which in turn creates some such handicaps). However, if you point this out, there's this backlash that "you don't know what X person's circumstances are..." or anecdotes that "I need an ECV because I have Y issue that makes me look healthy but actually I can't walk for long periods of time."

No, I don't know what any single person's circumstances are. That's why I'm not one of those people who posts photos of ECV users here or makes or thinks snide remarks as I pass these ECV users in the parks. I also know that there are a number of latent health issues that make ECV use a necessity, so I don't judge particular people, either.

But, to say that you can't judge overall trends in ECV use because of these things...that just comes across as people being overly sensitive and defensive about ECV use. Anyone who thinks there isn't a problem with the trend of ECV use in this country is kidding themselves.

WDWFigment

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I thought the old presentation - The "Fatty, Fatty, 2 by 4, do some push-ups hit the floor" rap song, workout followed by the overweight hs kid downing pepperoni pizza and chocolate cake after his inability to score leading into the "Dead at 30: Mr. Heart couldn't push blood through the plaque filled arteries" 4D video was quite sensitive.

FigmentJedi

New version completely lacks any of the goofy charm the old characters had. It's a good thing I saved the images and profiles of the old Habit Heroes site while they were still able to be extracted from Google's caches.

janoimagine

Disgusting.

The lines concerning the "entitled" mentality of those demanding ECVs is not at all surprising.

The whole article reminded me of a segment 60 Minutes did back in December on HMA defrauding Medicare: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57556670/hospitals-the-cost-of-admission/

Whats even more disgusting is that even though it was proven that they falsely billed medicare 108mil, Congress settled for 19.5mil, which makes me think we (the taxpayer) ended up picking up the tab for the remainder.

HMF

I would have waited till a new idea came. Habit Heroes does not really thematically fit Innoventions. It would fit in a certain pavilion that is now only used for Festivals.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I was rather entertained by the ridiculousness of the original Habit Heroes. When I experienced it my friend and I were the only adults without children doing the attraction. We felt so silly running around pushing buttons, shooting at things, and dancing around but it was fun. I am kind of sorry that the cartoon characters are gone. They were a pretty good part of the attraction. Seems like some of the fun factor has been sucked out of the attraction and now it seems more clinical.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom