Innoventions Habit Heroes closes for rework

invader

As I sat in the tiny airport at Gainesville and read an article about Disney’s latest attraction “Habit Heroes” I couldn’t stop the tears.

This is a new game at Epcot wherein kids meet their “Heroes” Will Power and Callie Stenics and fight with them against “Enemies” The Glutton, Lead Bottom and Snacker.

And as I type I’m crying again. Disney is my absolute favorite vacation place. It’s where my Best Friend and I go for a week at a time to bond, go on rides, and watch the Lion King Show nine times in a row. So I’m heartbroken that we may have gone for the last time. I won’t go back now (except possibly in protest) unless they re-open this attraction.

:lookaroun:lol::p

WDWFigment

For an Innoventions attraction, I thought there were a number of plus points. There was actually a sense of Imagineering quality to the wait area and the pre-show room Some nice details, and some real effort.

The actual game systems were quite comprehensive for an Innoventions exhibit. They do come from Space Mountain, Toy Story Mania, and Soarin, but even so, to include them in Innoventions shows some ambition for this attraction.

Solidifying all that would be the actual message of it. I was very pleased to see someone having the guts to really tell everyone the reality of health and fitness. American (and England) needs a good dose that.

As I was saying before, I would say it was the best Innoventions addition after Sum of All Thrills.

Fair points about the details and tech. The TSM guns and the alley were impressive. My biggest issues were the forcefulness and disjointedness (and contrived nature) of the story and the odd conclusion 'dancing'.

Luckily, I think all of these things could be fairly easily fixed with a new script and story. The most expensive elements of tech and theming could all be worked into that to form a solid attraction.

I think Innoventions has been improving in recent years, and I was blown away by Sum of All Thrills when we experienced that for the first time.

rioriz

Where were these people when Wal E came out? I think their portrayal obese people were fairly similar to Habit Heroes

wilkeliza

I just wonder where this will go. What will be next? Disney doesn't have as much as an issue with patrons not fitting into rides (only two I know are the roller coast simulators at Innovations and Disney Quest) but imagine if Universal had to rethink everything over a few people feeling shamed.

The Duck

Someone just tweeted that this basically the same message that Kitchen Kabaret had. Maybe they should look into that...

Kitchen Kabaret used only positive messages about health and good nutrition. Fat kids get picked on enough as it is so I can see why some people may have been uncomfortable with this new show. Some children are more sensitive than others and for an overweight child to see himself compared to an ugly, bloated monster (even indirectly) may have produced more than one miserable day at Epcot.

asianway

Kitchen Kabaret used only positive messages about health and good nutrition. Fat kids get picked on enough as it is so I can see why some people may have been uncomfortable with this new show. Some children are more sensitive than others and for an overweight child to see himself compared to an ugly, bloated monster (even indirectly) may have produced more than one miserable day at Epcot.

Then there was that Wonders of Life pavilion that had some really great positive messages about the topic and was fun as well.

WDW1974

I don't think anyone would disagree with the message, it is the manner it was delivered and the context it is placed in( a parks blog who promotes churros and mickeys premium ice cream bars as a rite of passage)

What you need to do is make the author of the original article aware of your site and that this is only the tip of the iceberg. They obviously have the publics ear.

As you can see, the only way TDO will react quickly to change is if there is any type of bad press

I think this is the key here ... bad press and lots of it will get Disney to react to anything.

I can't comment on the attraction because I never got to see it. And I certainly think the message is a very good one. Morbid obesity is a national shame in the USA (and growing abroad ... especially in places like the UK and even Australia!)

But you have to be very careful how you get your message across and VERY clearly Disney failed miserably.

I've watch them play the healthy eating game for over a decade in FLA with very poor results. They'll make healthier options available for kids ... and certainly do a great job for folks with certain dietary restrictions ... yet at the same time dumb menu choices down to where every place has a steak on it ... and healthy sides get replaced by killers like mac'n'cheese (JIKO!).

It's sorta like proclaiming to be a green company while expanding roadways and adding buses as your monorail system falls apart.

Imagine if you had a kid's menu that simply didn't feature a burger, chicken nuggets or pizza option ...

You can't force people to eat healthier, but you can make it more difficult for them to eat unhealthy ... and Disney never wants to go that last step because it will get people in their cars driving to McD's (which I hear has opened a locale right behind the MK!)

~McNuggets For Everyone!~

WDW1974

Wow pretty scathing article. Comparing Disney to the school bully and not concentrating on the real problem of obesity. No one wants a kid to feel embarassed or ashamed while on vacation(especially). But I believe the message is correct. Although I do agree the problem is not the childs fault. It's up to the parrent to allow for proper nutrition and good habits. That is not so easy today with the advent of our fast food nation and multiple income family scenarios. But it does come down to the responsibility of the parent to model good behavior.

And how often when at WDW do you see a family where they're all morbidly obese? How often do you see fit parents have bowling ball children? It just isn't something that happens for the most part. But children shouldn't walk out of a Disney attraction feeling bad about themselves ... WoL (hey, remember that? a whole pavilion devoted to the importance of health and how our bodies worked that sits and rots except when Special Events takes over?) was able to focus on the importance of healthy diets without hurting kids' feelings.

Not to get too political but this has a similar backlash as when Michelle Obama started her advocacy for better nutrition in schools.

"Nobody is going to tell me what I should look like or what I can eat" mentality.

Nah, I think that was 100% political and if I'm not mistaken it was started by the oxycodine king of Palm Beach just to take a shot.

Everyone pays for morbid obesity much like we all pay for drug and alcohol addiction and any malady that affects society. No one lives in a bubble, so you can't sit back and say 'Live and weigh 576 pounds if you like' ...

~Mmmm... cheeseburger!~

WDW1974

Someone just tweeted that this basically the same message that Kitchen Kabaret had. Maybe they should look into that...

Great point.

And dating all the way back to 1982 ... when obesity wasn't nearly the problem it was today (try and find some morbidly obese folks on ECVs in those old videos and pics from the period ... if you find one, they'll stand out the way a 387-pounder would stand out at TDR or HKDL today!)

~You know, salad won't kill you!~

WDWFigment

Great point.

And dating all the way back to 1982 ... when obesity wasn't nearly the problem it was today (try and find some morbidly obese folks on ECVs in those old videos and pics from the period ... if you find one, they'll stand out the way a 387-pounder would stand out at TDR or HKDL today!)

~You know, salad won't kill you!~

If you looked around threads concerning ECVs, some would try to have you convinced that the ECV use all stems from legitimate health issues. When you point out that there weren't so many "health issues" back in the 1980s, the argument then shifts to the supposed fact that it's because those people were shamed into not going out in public back then because society wasn't as accepting and accessible.

Nevermind the fact that statistics clearly show our national obesity rate is clearly increasing. I suppose those numbers are somehow lying, too.

I agree that there are right and wrong ways to convey messages in theme park attractions, and this might have bordered on the "wrong way." That doesn't change the fact that it's an incredibly important message.

WDW1974

If you looked around threads concerning ECVs, some would try to have you convinced that the ECV use all stems from legitimate health issues. When you point out that there weren't so many "health issues" back in the 1980s, the argument then shifts to the supposed fact that it's because those people were shamed into not going out in public back then because society wasn't as accepting and accessible.

I agree ... I don't buy those claims for a second. And I have had some morbid obesity in my family (sadly, it claimed one person I loved). These folks had it when it was VERY uncommon. You just didn't have folks that weighed in at 300-400-500 pounds being the norm. Unless you were VERY tall or an athlete, I recall when 200 pounds was considered fat. Now, that's not even a benchmark.

The ECV use today is related to the epidemic of food addiction (and, yes, just like alcohol, drugs, fornicating or gambling, you better believe you can be addicted to food!) going on as well as lazy people and scammers who think they'll get out of a 70-minute wait if they are riding in one.

I have stood in front of Disney resorts and seen trucks from local companies delivering ECVs and thought I should have come up with the idea 15 years ago because I'd be raking in millions of dollars and wouldn't even have to have a Disney Lifestyle blog/website/podcast.

And that's just talking guests, look at CMs today versus 15-20 years ago ... I honestly think that if you took away the internationals and CPers, the average CM would weigh in at around 325 pounds. But not gonna comment more on that because everytime I do it disappear faster than a turkey leg in the hands of an ECV driver.:drevil:

Nevermind the fact that statistics clearly show our national obesity rate is clearly increasing. I suppose those numbers are somehow lying, too.

It's a government plot by Mrs. Obama to get us eating broccoli and put the beef industry out of business, doncha know?:ROFLOL:

I agree that there are right and wrong ways to convey messages in theme park attractions, and this might have bordered on the "wrong way." That doesn't change the fact that it's an incredibly important message.

Absolutely!!!

~Can I have fries and a baked tater with my steak ... oh, and extra ranch dressing on the side!~

FigmentJedi

I like how the web version's character Insecura is just a recolored version of Violet
images

raven

Not to get too political but this has a similar backlash as when Michelle Obama started her advocacy for better nutrition in schools.

It's a government plot by Mrs. Obama to get us eating broccoli and put the beef industry out of business, doncha know?:ROFLOL:

On an interesting note, when Michelle Obama visited Wide World of Sports recently, inner city youth at the event were given a box lunch with a sandwich, fresh fruit and a cookie. Cast Members cleaning up after the event found that all of the cookies were gone and they had a van full of sandwiches and fruit left over. So they handed them out to CMs.

So much for winning that fight. :rolleyes:

DCLcruiser

This is what is wrong with our country. How can you be upset with an attraction that teaches that it is not ok to be obese?

We have how many children that are obese. Kids need to be taught that they are doing something wrong (ok their parents fault really) and need to make better choices.

Wall-E did a great job of making that point, but I fear most Americans didn't get the sly jab that today we are nearly as fat/lazy.

Bring back WoL to help promote health/fitness.

WDW1974

On an interesting note, when Michelle Obama visited Wide World of Sports recently, inner city youth at the event were given a box lunch with a sandwich, fresh fruit and a cookie. Cast Members cleaning up after the event found that all of the cookies were gone and they had a van full of sandwiches and fruit left over. So they handed them out to CMs.

So much for winning that fight. :rolleyes:

That point just illustrates just how important this fight is ... and, no, it isn't easy.

Because of poverty, inner city diets are among the worst amongst our kids today. But you don't just say 'let them eat cookies, get diabetes and die' ... you need to step up the fight.

~And on that note, time to get ready FOR .... DINNER!!!~

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
That point just illustrates just how important this fight is ... and, no, it isn't easy.

Because of poverty, inner city diets are among the worst amongst our kids today. But you don't just say 'let them eat cookies, get diabetes and die' ... you need to step up the fight.

But it doesn't start on Pennsylvania Ave in DC. It starts in the home with parents.

celluloid

I thought it was a really well done attraction. Anything that promotes fitness and healthy living is a good thing in my opinion. The USA certainly needs all the help it can get in that area.

Yeah, and Disney's EPCOT used to have an entire pavilion devoted to that concept, but ya know. TDO again.

disney fan 13

I give The current regine credit for creating a area that promotes heathly eating. Plus I am glad they added a educational area, but I don't support them changing it to how down to complaints

Figment82

Ugh, if you're going to paint with a broad brush for your examples, at least use the correct terms, as there are many facets to diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is the one that is mainly caused by poor diet and lifestyle choices. As someone who has type 1, it's become a pet peeve of mine when people lump them all together. I rely on insulin to keep me alive because of an autoimmune disease, not because of the food I eat. I actually weigh less than I should for someone of my age and height. Just want to nip this particular argument in the bud before it gets going, as I've seen it happen many times before. I'll step off my soapbox now, and let you all continue with the discussion. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom