• Hollywood Studios

Votes: 54 72.0%
  • Animal Kingdom

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Doesn't belong anywhere at WDW

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters

lazyboy97o

I would argue that's a pretty non-specific theme. In general, I would expect a theme park land to take me to a specific place where everything works in unison; Africa, India and Polynesia are pretty distinct areas even if the time period is meant to be in synch. That would be like adding a Japanese fish market to Main Street and saying "well, the theme is just turn of the century small town life".
What makes any theme strong is the idea, and exotica as understood by Americans has never been very geographically precise.

doctornick

What makes any theme strong is the idea, and exotica as understood by Americans has never been very geographically precise.

Oh, I agree. It just seems to me that all the various Adventurelands are amorphous exotic tropical places.

MK's Fantasyland has three distinct areas, am I correct? I'm talking about just one distinct theme.

It really has two: a medieval castle with the forest outside the walls is the one. And a second area that is circus themed. As I said, the circus area should be it's own land as Toontown was before it since it has little connection to the rest of FL and is clearly demarcated with it's own entrance way.

The medieval castle area is actually very tightly themed. The new castle walls provide an excellent bit of placemaking to denote when you are going from the "castle courtyard" portion to the "forest outside the walls" but it is all part of the same "theme" of a medieval castle and its environment. Everything from the east side of Tangled/PPF/IASW through the carousel and to the BatB/Mermaid areas & the Mine train (once completed) is well integrated as a single theme. The FLE is light on attractions, but did an excellent job of visuals and placemaking.

Virtual Toad

In regards to the idea of Indy at WDW, I believe something brand new is in order. Indy will be twenty years old next year. Time for something new, not a twenty year-old ride.

But still an awesome ride that's held up better over time than the stunt show or the sub-par coaster at DLP.

Plus plane tickets to CA are insanely expensive. :)

Californian Elitist

Oh, I agree. It just seems to me that all the various Adventurelands are amorphous exotic tropical places.

It really has two: a medieval castle with the forest outside the walls is the one. And a second area that is circus themed. As I said, the circus area should be it's own land as Toontown was before it since it has little connection to the rest of FL and is clearly demarcated with it's own entrance way.

The medieval castle area is actually very tightly themed. The new castle walls provide an excellent bit of placemaking to denote when you are going from the "castle courtyard" portion to the "forest outside the walls" but it is all part of the same "theme" of a medieval castle and its environment. Everything from the east side of Tangled/PPF/IASW through the carousel and to the BatB/Mermaid areas & the Mine train (once completed) is well integrated as a single theme. The FLE is light on attractions, but did an excellent job of visuals and placemaking.

It still has more than one theme, which is what I was asking about.

StarWarsGirl

Well duh it's adventure. I'm asking because DL's has one, specific overall theme, relating to adventure. I was wondering if MK had one, but thanks for your smart alec-y response. The answer is no.
Divided into two areas, Arabian village and Caribbean Plaza. I do think DL's overall Adventureland feel was better, though I think it makes a bit more sense to have Pirates over in Adventureland.

Californian Elitist

Divided into two areas, Arabian village and Caribbean Plaza. I do think DL's overall Adventureland feel was better, though I think it makes a bit more sense to have Pirates over in Adventureland.

Thank you for a straightforward answer. :)

True, and we have something similar in AK with Dinosaur. I'd rather have something new in DHS and replace the aging stunt show

I agree.

MarkTwain

Original Poster
I tried to leave my own biases out of the poll question, but I still think Indy could work well for Animal Kingdom. As Raven24 said:

In regards to the idea of Indy at WDW, I believe something b
rand new is in order. Indy will be twenty years old next year. Time for something new, not a twenty year-old ride.

Any new ride should probably be designed from the ground up anyway, especially for Animal Kingdom, where a near-clone of Disneyland's Indy ride already exists. I don't see why a new ride couldn't be centered around a new story featuring animals more prominently, perhaps a cursed monkey temple or something centered around snakes. Indy is remembered as a character and an "atmosphere" much more than any one story, and that atmosphere of adventure and exoticism fits Animal Kingdom well.

You can't look at these renderings and think these wouldn't work well for Animal Kingdom:

IndianaJones_zpsf19df850.jpg

IndianaJonesAtmosphere_zps476f86c6.jpg

Californian Elitist

I tried to leave my own biases out of the poll question, but I still think Indy could work well for Animal Kingdom. As Raven24 said:

Any new ride should probably be designed from the ground up anyway, especially for Animal Kingdom, where a near-clone of Disneyland's Indy ride already exists. I don't see why a new ride couldn't be centered around a new story featuring animals more prominently, perhaps a cursed monkey temple or something centered around snakes. Indy is remembered as a character and an "atmosphere" much more than any one story, and that atmosphere of adventure and exoticism fits Animal Kingdom well.

You can't look at these renderings and think these wouldn't work well for Animal Kingdom:

Now wait a second, if ANYONE'S getting Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition, it should be us (Disneyland) LOL.

cheezbat

Either give us a clone of the Indy ride in DHS or Adventureland at MK...or build a flume style ride in place of the stunt show or build a coaster-adventure thrill ride in MK.

Indy belongs in WDW.

JohnD

So it seems things have been a bit quiet regarding the Star Wars Land rumor, but I know with the Star Wars Weekends coming up a lot of us are hoping for some kind of big announcement.

So let's just assume Disney IS planning something for Star Wars Land, which would likely partially or entirely be built over the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. I'm actually a HUGE Indiana Jones fan (arguably moreso than I am with Star Wars), so as much as I would love to see a Star Wars Land, I would also be a little sad to see WDW's only attraction for Indiana Jones pass into Yesterland.

So the question is: now that Disney owns Lucasfilm, including the Indiana Jones franchise, do you think Indy deserves another permanent home in WDW? Indy has a ride in Disneyland's Adventureland, but it looks like our Adventureland is mostly built out (and personally I'd rather see a new ride anyway, YMMV). Should Indy be integrated into a larger "Lucasland" in DHS, or maybe DAK? All of Temple of Doom takes place in various parts of Asia, so you could probably make a case for putting an Indy ride in Asia, or maybe you could find a way to put him in Dinoland. Or maybe you think his time has passed and he doesn't really belong anywhere at all.

Your thoughts?

Hmm. Tough call. You're right in pointing out the Disney bought Lucasfilm, which includes Indy, and not just Star Wars. But if considering a SW land and what to do with Indy, I'd first consider that there are two stunt shows now in HS--Indy and Lights, Motor, Action! If I had to pick one to go, it would be Indy.

Now as far as the Indy ride, my understanding is that the DL ride is very similar to the Dinosaur ride in AK. It's just that both have different themes. I can't see WDW duplicating the same type of ride in both HS and AK.

Third, unlike DL which is almost forced to be a "catch all" because they only have two parks opposite each other so it has Indy, SW, etc., in WDW, you can be more strict on the theming. I just don't see Indy as a franchise in MK. To me anything in MK, has to be "Classic Disney". So, Indy is a better fit for HS, in what form I don't know. As for AK, they could always retheme the Dinosaur ride to Indy and maybe retheme all of Dinoland to, say, South America? That whole area needs a lot of work anyway. I could care less for the carnival atmosphere back there.

champdisney

I personally voted for Animal Kingdom to host an Indiana Jones attraction. I always thought AK would be the proper park that would capture the right look and feel of Indy, to me it just feels right. WDI could easily tie the ride with a specific animal that has some sort of spiritual value behind it and create a great E-ticket. If the options were for Indy to come to MK's Adventureland (I know I might get hate for this) but I would bulldoze the Swiss Family Treehouse and Jungle Cruise for the Indiana Jones/Volcano concept. Jungle Cruise is a classic by all means but what's the use for it when we have Animal Kingdom? Man, I sound arrogant...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom