Votes: 54 72.0%
  • Animal Kingdom

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Doesn't belong anywhere at WDW

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters

MarkTwain

Original Poster
So it seems things have been a bit quiet regarding the Star Wars Land rumor, but I know with the Star Wars Weekends coming up a lot of us are hoping for some kind of big announcement.

So let's just assume Disney IS planning something for Star Wars Land, which would likely partially or entirely be built over the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. I'm actually a HUGE Indiana Jones fan (arguably moreso than I am with Star Wars), so as much as I would love to see a Star Wars Land, I would also be a little sad to see WDW's only attraction for Indiana Jones pass into Yesterland.

So the question is: now that Disney owns Lucasfilm, including the Indiana Jones franchise, do you think Indy deserves another permanent home in WDW? Indy has a ride in Disneyland's Adventureland, but it looks like our Adventureland is mostly built out (and personally I'd rather see a new ride anyway, YMMV). Should Indy be integrated into a larger "Lucasland" in DHS, or maybe DAK? All of Temple of Doom takes place in various parts of Asia, so you could probably make a case for putting an Indy ride in Asia, or maybe you could find a way to put him in Dinoland. Or maybe you think his time has passed and he doesn't really belong anywhere at all.

Your thoughts?

Californian Elitist

What exactly is Adventureland's theme in Magic Kingdom? I'm confused, there's an Aladdin-themed ride, the Jungle Cruise, Pirates... Is there even an overall theme?

FettFan

Hollywood Studios, of course.

However..... Instead of "Star Wars Land", they should just make the entire Echo Lake area into Lucasfilm Studios.

Mostly because if they do Star Wars Land, I'm afraid they will bulldoze Dinosaur Gerty. DG can fit in well with the 1930s Indiana Jones era. They should also build the giant dog counter service from The Rocketeer.

cw1982

I said HS. I think Indiana Jones fits best at HS, with or without the Star Wars Land rumors. Granted, I'm not taking into account spacing issues or any other technical aspects, as I haven't been to HS in years... it just seems to go best with the overall theming of HS.

FettFan

I'd replace the stunt show with the ride in a heartbeat.

Water Coaster.
149313.jpg

lazyboy97o

I think Indiana Jones in Disney's Animal Kingdom is the same sort of tangential connection I dislike about Avatar.

The good parts of Adventureland are a bit more late 19th century, but a transition could easily make things work.

I've never been keen on the different Studios concept, but it seems to be the best way to deal with a less than ideal situation.

I'd love to see something new. Yes, the Indiana Jones Adventure is crowning a chile meet, but would be over 20 years old before opening if they started building tomorrow.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
It definitely belongs Hollywood Studios, in place of the stunt show. That thing needed to have gotten the boot years ago for the ride!

It'd be nice to have a new attraction in Adventureland, but with Indy already having a home at DHS, and that park needing all the help it can possibly get (and then some), it'd make the most sense there, IMO.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I said MK just because I think the Adventureland there needs another good attraction. But I love the idea of any Indy themed attraction.

lazyboy97o

Well duh it's adventure. I'm asking because DL's has one, specific overall theme, relating to adventure. I was wondering if MK had one, but thanks for your smart alec-y response. The answer is no.
Disneyland got the 1930s setting in 1995 to make sense of the Indiana Jones Adventure and is the only one to have that sort of unity. The land has otherwise always been a collage of [colonial] exotica. The Aladdin crap in the Magic Kingdom just makes a mess because it was tossed into a plaza with little regard for its integration into the carefully crafted tableau.

Californian Elitist

Disneyland got the 1930s setting in 1995 to make sense of the Indiana Jones Adventure and is the only one to have that sort of unity. The land has otherwise always been a collage of [colonial] exotica. The Aladdin crap in the Magic Kingdom just makes a mess because it was tossed into a plaza with little regard for its integration into the carefully crafted tableau.

Thank you for giving me a real answer and not being a smart .

doctornick

What exactly is Adventureland's theme in Magic Kingdom? I'm confused, there's an Aladdin-themed ride, the Jungle Cruise, Pirates... Is there even an overall theme?

Pretty much the same thing as DL's Adventureland -- mostly various tropical locals with a random desert. I mean how does the Indian locale of IJ go with the Africa one of Tarzan's Treehouse go with the tropical river cruise of Jungle Cruise go with the Polynesia Tiki Birds go with the random Middle Eastern Aladdin M&G?

Pretty much every Adventureland in the castle parks are a mismash of themes that are nominally linked with an "explorer" concept and typically are tropical in nature.

Californian Elitist

Pretty much the same thing as DL's Adventureland -- mostly various tropical locals with a random desert. I mean how does the Indian locale of IJ go with the Africa one of Tarzan's Treehouse go with the tropical river cruise of Jungle Cruise go with the Polynesia Tiki Birds go with the random Middle Eastern Aladdin M&G?

Pretty much every Adventureland in the castle parks are a mismash of themes that are nominally linked with an "explorer" concept and typically are tropical in nature.

I understand what you're saying, but DL's Adventureland has one theme, which is a 1930's jungle theme. That's what I was asking. It's the same with the two Fantasylands. DL's is themed to a Bavaraian village, but MK's has multiple themes.

doctornick

I understand what you're saying, but DL's Adventureland has one theme, which is a 1930's jungle theme.

I would argue that's a pretty non-specific theme. In general, I would expect a theme park land to take me to a specific place where everything works in unison; Africa, India and Polynesia are pretty distinct areas even if the time period is meant to be in synch. That would be like adding a Japanese fish market to Main Street and saying "well, the theme is just turn of the century small town life".

That's what I was asking. It's the same with the two Fantasylands. DL's is themed to a Bavaraian village, but MK's has multiple themes.

With the FLE, MK's Fantasyland is actually very distinctly themed -- there's a medieval castle with it's courtyard and then a forest outside the castle walls. The "tent" facades aren't pretty but there fit the theme quite well. The new castle walls actually really sell the effect.

Next to that there is a distinct circus themed area, which really is it's own distinct themed land though it's oddly lumped in with FL instead of being a separate placed as Toontown was.

doctornick

If the Indiana Jones ride at WDW is the same as in DL, it will never be in AK. That's because the ride is essentially the same as Dinosaur, but with a different story.

Agreed. It also doesn't fit in to DAK at all (I don't see how any comparisons to Avatar make sense unless there is a conservation theme and heavy nature emphasis in the IJ movies that I've totally missed).

Adventureland at MK would make sense (ties in well with Jungle Cruise). And, I think there is room in between Splash Mtn and POTC. It might require a change to the parade route, which currently enters from that area. So, MK would be a tough option.

I believe there is a sizable expansion pad on the other size of the POTC show building, outside the RR berm, but would require a long queue to access it, much like is done for IJ in DL.

HS would be a good option - replace the IJ Stunt show with the ride. There would be plenty of room and no change required in parade routes, foot traffic, etc. It also brings a new attraction to the park, which is probably needed.

DHS would IMHO be the best option and it wouldn't be out of place on Sunset Blvd. I anticipate the stunt show being replaced by a Star Wars attraction, but I think a good spot would be to replace the Theater of the Stars (where BatB is) and use that land plus the expansion space behind it to build an IJ ride. Or put an IJ ride near RNR (would require moving some backstage buildings).

Californian Elitist

I would argue that's a pretty non-specific theme. In general, I would expect a theme park land to take me to a specific place where everything works in unison; Africa, India and Polynesia are pretty distinct areas even if the time period is meant to be in synch. That would be like adding a Japanese fish market to Main Street and saying "well, the theme is just turn of the century small town life".

With the FLE, MK's Fantasyland is actually very distinctly themed -- there's a medieval castle with it's courtyard and then a forest outside the castle walls. The "tent" facades aren't pretty but there fit the theme quite well. The new castle walls actually really sell the effect.

Next to that there is a distinct circus themed area, which really is it's own distinct themed land though it's oddly lumped in with FL instead of being a separate placed as Toontown was.

It's specific enough for the theme of Adventure. All of the attractions in DL's Adventureland take place in a jungle, except The Enchanted Tiki Room.

MK's Fantasyland has three distinct areas, am I correct? I'm talking about just one distinct theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom