Inaugural 2010 Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon Race Report

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
Several runners were interested but not able to attend this inaugural race, so I am going to start this thread, include my observations as a "casual runner" and I encourage anyone else to contribute their experiences so that this isn't just one person's opinions.

I flew down just for this race, so did not arrive on Friday for the first day of the expo. I stayed off property so had to drive in for the expo.
WineandDine001.jpg

WineandDine002.jpg

WineandDine003.jpg

You can see the expo is a big event with several vendors selling everything from shoes to discount applications for other marathon events. Veterans of the Disney marathon will notice the expo wasn't nearly as big as what we have seen in past Januarys.

WineandDine004.jpg

By the time I arrived at the expo around 11:00 a.m. on Saturday morning, all the pins for the race were sold out. I'm not a big pin collector, but I mention this to let you know that Disney may be scaling back merchandise production based on average sales. There were several 5K pins still available for the Halloween Race that had been run on Saturday morning.

Some other merchandise:

WineandDine005.jpg

WineandDine006.jpg

After picking up my race packet and spending a little money at the expo, I headed off to Downtown Disney for a pre-race meal.

It was not particularly windy, so the big balloon was flying
WineandDine007.jpg

WineandDine008.jpg

[/IMG]

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
One last carb load at the ice bar under the sea at T-Rex:
TRexBeer.jpg

I wanted to have fresh legs, so after this lunch I resisted the urge to join a friend at Epcot and went back to my hotel room for a little college football.

As soon as LSU lost to Tennessee on a botched last play, I turned off the tv and headed to the Epcot parking lot. Race transportation provided free parking at Epcot after 6 pm with shuttles taking people directly to the pre-race staging area at Wide World of Sports up until 8:15 pm. I arrived solidly in the middle of that time window, pulling up at about 7:30. There were several buses and the transportation was smooth.

A banner welcomed us to the race:
WineandDine010.jpg

I took a bag so that I could change clothes after the race and enjoy the food and wine. Despite earlier concerns that no attractions would be open, they did announce the rides inside Norway and Mexico would be open. Well, the bag check in area was an unorganized chaotic disaster! There were no officials directing the line and what happened was the bag check line stretched around half the perimeter of the staging area and at one point, that line was intersected by a second line for people getting on another bus to go to the relay point. This just led to chaos and it took a solid 30 minutes to get the bag checked. Here's a shot of the crowd ahead of me to the bag check ( the Ryder trucks )when I got into the intersection with the relay bus line:

WineandDine012.jpg

and here is the crowd behind me:
WineandDine011.jpg

Think you could find a friend in that crowd? :lol:

There was a scheduled meet of wdwmagic members for 9 pm. I barely had time to get over to where I understood that spot to be by 9 pm, but when I got there at straight up 9:00, I didn't see anyone looking to meet up, so I got in a 10-15 minute line to take a photo with Chef Mickey:
WineandDine013.jpg

Oh, look how rested and happy I was! :lol: That wouldn't last!!!

They actually started asking everyone to head to their corrals at around 9:15, so they were making good efforts to start the race on time despite the problems with bag check. I was in Corral B, so was closer to the start line than I was to the back of the crowd of 12,000 runners.

Crowd ahead and start line:
WineandDine014.jpg

Crowd behind:
WineandDine015.jpg

After a singing of the national anthem, the race started right at 10:00 pm, with fireworks to signal the starting gun:
WineandDine016.jpg

Yeah, I know the photo isn't so great, but it helps tell the story!

edit: and it was only when I woke up this morning that I learned LSU didn't lose that football game! ha ha

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
We didn't really know what to expect out on the road, being that this was the first time Disney had done a half marathon at night. It wasn't long past mile 1 that we saw a familiar sight - Chip and Dale's Spectro Magic piano, and Chip and Dale in their Spectro Magic attire:
WineandDine018.jpg

The course had us run out of Wide World of Sports and onto Osceola Boulevard and straight on to the Animal Kingdom Park. There were several stilt walkers out on this early stretch of the race.
WineandDine019.jpg

Another surprise before hitting the Animal Kingdom park was the appearance of a Fantasia float from Spectro Magic and two of my favorites - a Hippo and an Ostrich!

WineandDine020.jpg

There were several people wearing costumes and running this race. I wouldn't just take photos of people I don't know, but this lovely lady was in the photo when I snapped mile marker 3:
WineandDine021.jpg

With all this visual stimulation, I was feeling pumped! It wasn't long at all before we were running into the Animal Kingdom park:

WineandDine022.jpg

The illuminated red markers helped show your way in the dark would be my guess, and made me think of flames . . . running into flames! I thought they were very cool.
WineandDine023.jpg

I will pause and say this. The first time I visited Animal Kingdom at night was September of 2008 for the inaugural Everest Challenge, and the park smelled like p00p. I have since visited in an extended hours evening to be present after dark - same smell! Last night was more of the same, so I think it is fair for wdwmagic to decree . . . at night, the Animal Kingdom park smells like p00p!

The first character I saw in the Animal Kingdom park was the little gorilla from Tarzan (can't remember her name) but I kept on past her. There were several parade performers inside Animal Kingdom, operating the large insect puppets, but again, I didn't stop for photos.

surfsupdon

Thanks for psoting! Looking forward to the rest.

Congrats on running!! I'm so upset, I could not make this race because of scheduling conflicts with closing on a house. Ughhh. But I'll be at the next one to add to my medal collection. Thanks again bud!

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
thanks, Don!

The course had us wind our way along the main loop of the Animal Kingdom park - some of you know this park better than I do, but in due course we ran past the tree of life, Expedition Everest and after running through Dino Land, we went backstage and then exited out by the edge of the parking lot, following which we ran the tough part of the course. We were right at mile 5 when we exited the park, and that was where the relay handoff occurred. Obviously, the second runner had a substantially longer run!

I will defer to someone's better memory, but after leaving Disney's Animal Kingdom park, we ran back to Osceola Blvd, and ran all over that road including a down and back loop and way too many inclines (at one point, a toy soldier from Toy Story was exhorting us to "Take that hill!") before heading to the Disney Hollywood Studios, entering near the Tower of Terror (and I will warn you now, the photos only get worse from here out, so if you thought they were bad up to now . . . :lol:
WineandDine026.jpg

Once in the Studios park, it seemed like we ran through every nook and cranny of that park, but we also knew that the finish line was drawing nearer. We ran through the Rock n Roller Coaster courtyard, around past the entrance to the Hollywood Tower Hotel and then around the entrance to Fantasmic . . . there were SO MANY inclines in this race! We came out of that loop near Al's Garage and ran up the main drag, past the big hat and then I can't even tell you the route, but we ran through the backlot tour tunnel with the costuming, and behind the animation building and somewhere back there, I saw a big cloud of balloons, so that could only mean things were looking UP!
WineandDine028.jpg

The highlights of the Hollywood Studios part of the run was running through the Lights Motor Action set and having our images displayed on the big screen (sorry you can't see it in this photo)
WineandDine029.jpg

I was very excited to see the Osborne Family lights were on for us as we ran by.
WineandDine032.jpg

I haven't mentioned it up to now, but something was going on with this race that was taking a toll on its runners. It didn't seem hot or humid, but I know I had a whole lot of trouble breathing after about 90 minutes. I saw several runners meeting with race workers and a lot of tears, and exhaustion. There were a lot of people who did not finish this race. Personally, at about the 2/3 mark of the race, I was spent. I am not very happy with my finish time of 2:45 - half an hour slower than my last half marathon!

Anyway, after leaving the back lot area, we ran through the Star Wars area and Darth Vader was out taking photos. I would have loved to take a photo with the dark lord, but if I had stopped at that point, I might have been done! :lol:

We left the Studios, ran around the lake opposite the boardwalk and after yet another incline and another, the finish line appeared and the race was over! You ran TO Epcot, not THROUGH it, and that was fine with me! :lol:

The finishers' medals are awesome, but I feel Disney made a big mistake right after the finish. Of course, the area was extremely congested with dozens of runners finishing by the second, and as hot as we were, they immediately herded us into an enclosed space - extremely hot under the circumstances - to pick up our bags. That was the worst part of the whole race - remember how crazy the bag check in was? The pick up was even worse. Thirty minutes jammed like sardines almost immediately after finishing the race. That really took whatever wind was left right out of my sails.

Anyway, eventually I gathered my self, gave away my drink/food tickets, and went on back to my hotel sometime after 1:30 a.m.

Here's a photo of the beloved Epcot triangles:
WineandDine033-1.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the report.

tiaragirl

Thanks for this! Short and sweet.. the pictures just show how dedicated you were to the race.. you didn't want to stop to take them! Running through HS with Osbourne must have been amazing..

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
great report.

Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks for this! Short and sweet.. the pictures just show how dedicated you were to the race.. you didn't want to stop to take them! Running through HS with Osbourne must have been amazing..

Thank you!

When we were winding our way back along the path, we could see the big globe all lit up, so I had a good idea the lights would be on, and when we came around the bend and could see the whole street all lit up, it was magnificent . . . especially for me since I've never seen the Osborne lights in person. :)

HollyBelle

Yay! Congratulations again, Doug. I must say, at the beginning of the report it took everything I had not to scroll through like crazy to find Spectro Chip and Dale!! But... I showed much constraint and read every word. :lol: Interesting that this race seemed so disorganized in comparison to some others. Any pictures of the bling?! And do you think you'll do this one again in the future?

SpongeScott

Thanks, Doug. I kinda wish I had done it, but also not after reading some of your report. Maybe you just weren't "Florida tough" to handle our weather. :) Just remember, you'll always have that medal and from the first Wine and Dine!

surfsupdon

Nice. Did you get a picture of the medal??!

Very cool the Osborne Lights werre on--I always wished they were on for the ToT13K, (which happened at the END of Oct) but they never were. They are a nice addition.

Regardless, congrats to all the finishers and I will see you all at next years big race!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Think you could find a friend in that crowd? :lol:

There was a scheduled meet of wdwmagic members for 9 pm. I barely had time to get over to where I understood that spot to be by 9 pm, but when I got there at straight up 9:00, I didn't see anyone looking to meet up, so I got in a 10-15 minute line to take a photo with Chef Mickey:
WineandDine013.jpg
Hey Doug,
Sorry we didnt get a chance to hook up before the race. I got to the infield around 7:30 so I had plenty of time to just hang out. I went to the meet spot and set up camp. I sat ad listened to the horrible DJ and all those silly songs that they play were people get up and follow what the other is doing like the Macarana (sp?). To each his own though....

Anyway. I stretched and got into my zone a bit. I people watched etc. I got up a few times and walked around looking for you and others but not luck. I did however go over to the area you are in right when you were there and saw Jeff Galloway taking pictures. We might have been right next to each other. :lol:

I heard the announcement right then for the corral call. I went ahead and left.

I really understand about the bag check I wondered if that was going to make people late the the meet. I was there at 7:30 and the line was 30 yards long.

To be honest, from what I saw, I think that was the only thing Disney really didnt plan well. It was too close to the Relay lines for the buses. Other than that, it is the best race I have done so far and I thought everything along the course was very nice and planned.

I guess if I had to find 1 thing that I didnt like, is around mile 9.5 when you were in the Studios, I think it was right around one of the little left turn right turn behind ToT, there was the first vendor type cooks cooking meals on woks or little grills. Ok, I like food, but I seriously wanted to hurl when I took in a deep breathe of some sort of spicy chicken dish. Holy Cow.

I thought the turn out for the after party was incredible. There was so many people. I almost bought a Mich Ultra for $6 when I said to myself, "Self, if you are going to buy a beer for that, make it a Dos Equis. Stay thirsty my friend." It was only $4.50. Win.

Here are a few pics.

So Lovely.
Joel_Snow_White.jpg

Stay thirsty my friend.
Dos_Equis_SSE.jpg

Mulan

This was my first race at Disney. I thought I did just fine - I hadn't run any half marathons to this point. I did think the side walk heading to Yacht/Beach Club was really narrow for that many runners. Especially since by that time people were walking in bunches. I tried to navigate around them, but it was very difficult. Especially with the cones on both sides of the path.

The bag check needed to be fixed for next time.

We must have finished near each other since you said your time was 2:45

Otherwise, it was a very enjoyable race. Thanks for the pictures! I only had my camera phone, but I think I'll be investing in a pouch for the next race I run.

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
Congrats on your first Disney half marathon, Mulan! A good running belt/pouch is SO very much worth it!

MouseMadness

I wonder if the "spent" feeling you and many others experienced was simply because it was so late? :shrug:

Thanks for posting Doug! :wave:

:)lookaroun yes, yes, I know... look who's out of the anemone :ROFLOL: )

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
This was my first race at Disney. I thought I did just fine - I hadn't run any half marathons to this point. I did think the side walk heading to Yacht/Beach Club was really narrow for that many runners. Especially since by that time people were walking in bunches. I tried to navigate around them, but it was very difficult. Especially with the cones on both sides of the path.

The bag check needed to be fixed for next time.

We must have finished near each other since you said your time was 2:45

Otherwise, it was a very enjoyable race. Thanks for the pictures! I only had my camera phone, but I think I'll be investing in a pouch for the next race I run.
It was fine around the group I was in... but I tell you, those paths in AK were challenging to pass people at times. The uneven footing/markings in the cement for themeing was interesting. I kept thinking I was stepping in a hole.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
GREAT report and photos! Thanks Doug.:sohappy:

So are you ready to do another 13.1 . . . + 26.2 in January?:lookaroun

. . . I'll bet right now you're feeling as crazy as the rest of us think you are for signing up for that.:lookaroun

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
Yay! Congratulations again, Doug. I must say, at the beginning of the report it took everything I had not to scroll through like crazy to find Spectro Chip and Dale!! But... I showed much constraint and read every word. Interesting that this race seemed so disorganized in comparison to some others. Any pictures of the bling?! And do you think you'll do this one again in the future?

Thanks, Holly! My photo reports will never be a rival to yours, and I will have to wait for the asi photos for there to be any photos of me with the finisher medal, but I see Joel (jmaxwell007) osted a photo of the bling! Scroll down for a photo with Goofy. Interestingly, I don't remember seeing many villains on the course, other than Darth Vader. Maybe someone else did.

Near the animation building at the Disney's Hollywood Studios park, the Incredibles had Frozone out for photos. . . but I have met him before, so I kept going. If Elastigirl had been out . . .

The medal for those who ran the entire half marathon is a little bit larger than the one for the relay runners, but they are both nice.

Thanks, Doug. I kinda wish I had done it, but also not after reading some of your report. Maybe you just weren't "Florida tough" to handle our weather. :) Just remember, you'll always have that medal and from the first Wine and Dine!

The thought of getting "Goofy tough" and knowing that medal were at the end of the race kept me going to the finish. I readily concede some of my problems with the heat were due to my decision to do treadmill runs in the a/c during the summer! And yes, the medal is going to get its own place somewhere at the house very soon. I thought about wearing it to work today. I got lots of strange looks and a few compliments wearing it on the flight home yesterday. No problems with airport security though!

Nice. Did you get a picture of the medal??!

Very cool the Osborne Lights werre on--I always wished they were on for the ToT13K, (which happened at the END of Oct) but they never were. They are a nice addition.

Regardless, congrats to all the finishers and I will see you all at next years big race!

Check out Joel's photos of the bling. The Osborne lights were amazing! I hope to make it back next year, Don.

Hey Doug,
Sorry we didnt get a chance to hook up before the race. I got to the infield around 7:30 so I had plenty of time to just hang out. I went to the meet spot and set up camp. I sat ad listened to the horrible DJ and all those silly songs that they play were people get up and follow what the other is doing like the Macarana (sp?). To each his own though....

Anyway. I stretched and got into my zone a bit. I people watched etc. I got up a few times and walked around looking for you and others but not luck. I did however go over to the area you are in right when you were there and saw Jeff Galloway taking pictures. We might have been right next to each other.

I heard the announcement right then for the corral call. I went ahead and left.

I really understand about the bag check I wondered if that was going to make people late the the meet. I was there at 7:30 and the line was 30 yards long.

To be honest, from what I saw, I think that was the only thing Disney really didnt plan well. It was too close to the Relay lines for the buses. Other than that, it is the best race I have done so far and I thought everything along the course was very nice and planned.

I guess if I had to find 1 thing that I didnt like, is around mile 9.5 when you were in the Studios, I think it was right around one of the little left turn right turn behind ToT, there was the first vendor type cooks cooking meals on woks or little grills. Ok, I like food, but I seriously wanted to hurl when I took in a deep breathe of some sort of spicy chicken dish. Holy Cow.

I thought the turn out for the after party was incredible. There was so many people. I almost bought a Mich Ultra for $6 when I said to myself, "Self, if you are going to buy a beer for that, make it a Dos Equis. Stay thirsty my friend." It was only $4.50. Win.

Here are a few pics.

Joel, I was in the line for the photo with Mickey when they called out for people to go to the corrals. I was right behind a guy wearing a ghostbusters costume, and the DJ made reference to him over the loudspeaker. Maybe you heard that as you were heading to Corral A.

I saw the cook you mentioned and NOBODY was stopping for his samples. Poor guy!

Very nice photos!!! I am impressed that you could smile after that tough run!!!

GREAT report and photos! Thanks Doug.

So are you ready to do another 13.1 . . . + 26.2 in January?

. . . I'll bet right now you're feeling as crazy as the rest of us think you are for signing up for that.

Thanks, Gary! For me, personally, this race was a training run for the Goofy (although it was hard to remember that when the running started. I picked up a little Goofy figure and strapped him to my belt to remind me that whatever I was feeling out there on the course was nothing compared to going 39.3.

In between leaving the Animal Kingdom and before getting to the Studios park, Goofy made an appearance on the roadside, so I stopped and let him know I was going to run his race in January. He approved.

WineandDine025.jpg

Great report, and congratulations!

Thank you!

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
I wonder if the "spent" feeling you and many others experienced was simply because it was so late? :shrug:

Thanks for posting Doug! :wave:

:)lookaroun yes, yes, I know... look who's out of the anemone :ROFLOL: )

That is a good question - many people went to the parks and had a normal day. I tried to stay off my feet and even took a little nap in the afternoon, but was still exhausted! :lol:

Good to see you back on the forums, MouseMadness! :lookaroun I am very much looking forward to seeing you at the half marathon!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom