In What Way Has Disney World Surprised You Most?

blackthidot

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I guess the question could read what way has Disney shocked you, or surprised you the most? Knowing about all the magic, details, and everything else they do...what keeps you the most shocked "That they are able to do THAT"

tampabrad

It suprises me that a company with such a high image standard has allowed certain areas of property to remain in a unfinished abandoned state. Oddessey, Wonders of Life, Pleasure Island, Discovery Island, River Country, Pop Century, just to name a few.

MKCP 1985

The single biggest shock to me was the Rock N Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith. It shocked me at the time to see that collaboration in a Disney park - and of course, that has been a home run for all parties involved.

Most shocking recent announcement was the wholesale renovation of Fantasyland to eliminate Toontown. I am very much looking forward to exploring the more richly detailed Fantasyland with my young nephews and niece when it opens. :king:

MarkTwain

My, lots of negative responses on this thread. :lol:

I think one thing that has really impressed me about Disney through the years is that, despite the fact that they are most part of the public consciousness because of their animated movies and a talking cartoon mouse, that they have some serious artistic feats to be proud of.

For example, it is very impressive in a musical sense that Disney collaborated with Igor Stravinsky and Leopold Stokowski in the original Fantasia, and with James Levine in Fantasia 2000. Both Fantasias in themselves are also major artistic accomplishments. Similarly, that Walt and Salvador Sali came together to create Destino, and that Roy Disney helped to complete it a few years ago, is another impressive artistic feat. 1982's Epcot Center was an entire complex of masterful modernist architecture, much of which is still around. Of these, Spaceship Earth is particularly amazing, since it took Buckminster Fuller's theoretical writings about geodesic architecture and the future of mankind, and synthesized it into a ground-breaking attraction, suspended in the air in a sphere on three legs... and with a script written by award-winning author Ray Bradbury, no less. Then you have Walt's and the WDC's contributions to entertainment technology, like Audio-Animatronics, animation camera techniques, and special effects. And you might be surprised how often Disneyland and EPCOT are mentioned in contemporary urban planning textbooks. :)

The list goes on and on. Like I said, for a company famous for being "started by a mouse", Disney has quite the portfolio. I think that's what amazes me the most about Disney as a whole.

goofykt

I think what continues to surprise me the most is the way in which they've been able to maintain the "Disney bubble". I feel that as the years go by, employees generally care less and less about customer service, attendance, or being a good employee in general. But somehow Disney is still able to employ amazing people with awesome people skills. I don't know if Disney's just that good at training their employees, or if they attract the best of the best - people that have loved Disney all their lives and want to work there, like interacting with families, and enjoy what they do. Or maybe it's a combination of both of those things. I just hope they keep doing what they're doing, because I really appreciate talking with employees that give me their full attention instead of shooing me off while they talk/text on their cell phones.

klineski96

Great question blackthidot! Just like the "Obsessions" thread, I hope this one stays around for awhile. A great question for sure, thank you for starting this thread!

I am constantly surprised at how I can go over and over and over again and:

* Still see something new each and every time

* Get the same butterflies in my stomach before Rock n Roller Coaster or ToT even though I know exactly what's coming

* Eat the same sandwich at Earl of Sandwich, sit outside, and be totally content

* Look forward to Wishes or Spectro every time I'm at MK at night as if I've only seen them each once

* Catch myself singing the Boo To You song in the summer

* Constantly sending my wife the midweek email begging her to go to the parks at some point the upcoming weekend

* Ride TTA and look around at the sights like I've never seen Tomorrowland like that before

Mainly Disney surprises me every single time I go, for being new, exciting, and tons of fun! I know at this point I shouldn't be so surprised for always being surprised, and that itself is surprising! :p lol

Pusta100

I think what surprises me the most, is that after all these years Disney still finds a way to make each trip magical and refreshing. I have been to WDW over 25 times, and still enjoy every trip just as much as the first.

wdwwdeagle

Two things:

1) It is utterly mind-boggling to me to think that the shows, parades, fireworks, etc. are presented every single day of every single year, nonstop. I think about this every time I watch Wishes or Illuminations or Spectro, etc. And I think about it in the evenings sometimes when I'm going about my daily life at home...."hmmm, they're probably just starting Wishes now," etc.

2) The pristine state of the parks on a daily basis is astounding. (And I know many on this forum will nay-say and claim the parks are atrocious because a light blub here or there was blown out, but I wholeheartedly and respectfully disagree.)

When I'm there, I know in a vague way that there are people picking up trash or changing out a trashbag as I walk around the parks, but they just kind of blend in. You would think that with all those guests the parks would be filthy by the end of the day (ie, ever been to a concert or major football game? It's a disaster area by the end of the day.) But somehow, the constant cleaning gets done in an understated way. Even on NYE the bathrooms were pretty darn clean at the end of the night.

CP_alum08

I really agree with the 'Disney bubble' comment. No mater how many times I go I still love that feeling of being totally submersed in Disney.

I think the thing that surprised me the most was being there in slow season and still getting the exact same experience as going in mid-summer. They don't scale down the fireworks, shows, etc. just because there are less guests in the parks. And on the flip side of that, when you are there in mid-summer CM's treat you like you are the only ones in the parks (well, most of the time :p).

Krack

For me, it was the original Captain EO debut run. In 1986, getting Michael Jackson, George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola to collaborate on an attraction was unthinkable. I tried to think of a modern day equivalent, but there's no 2010 entertainer who even comes close to Jackson's popularity in 1986 and there's no 2010 film producer who approaches George Lucas' 86 popularity. And, of course, Francis Ford Coppola only directed what is widely considered the best film of all time (The Godfather or it's sequel).

Mikester71

I think the thing that surprised me the most about WDW is how obsessed people are with it. Our first trip was in March of 2005 for 7 days during our Spring Break and I honestly expected it to be a one-time deal. My wife had been many times as a child but I had never been. I had a friend who was going every year or two with his family and he kept telling me how much fun it was, so I decided why not see what all the fuss what about.

After one day down there, I immediately knew why he kept coming back! Everything just seems so right with the world when you are down there; a true escape from your everyday life. That Disney magic is something you just can't find anywhere else! They go ALL OUT to make sure you get what you paid for, and then some!

So I now PROUDLY consider myself completely obsessed with WDW!!! :sohappy: Am I surprised at that fact considering I was the one that thought it might be a fun, one-time trip with the family....not really. I think I am more surprised when I run into someone who either has no desire to ever go to WDW or to someone who has been but has no desire to ever go back again.

It surprises me how little they pay there employees

I would love if someone from florida could tell me if those rate are the norm down there, because honestly i was thinking of moving

luvlifeinfl

What surprises me is about that same as what Mikester71 stated. When we 1st visited in 2005, I thought it was a once in a life time event. When returned home from that trip we were so over whelmed with the experiance that we started to plan go back, which brought us to be DVC members.

Also what surprises me is that being in my mid 40's that in a setting like that I enjoy and feel safe to act like a child and not worry about what others think, also that as adults we enjoy it more that our kids do.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
That how quickly the little things that set it apart can be removed and eroded, and how changes in target audience demographic can make it feel stale.

blackthidot

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
The thing that gets me is mostly how EVERYDAY the shows, fireworks, and things that go on. I would LOVE to see how much money it costs to put on Wishes. From the people who set the fireworks off, to how much the fireworks cost, how much they pay Tinkerbell...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom