Trip Report In Before Irma! A September Beach Club mini-trip! *COMPLETED*

We are Amber (myhappyplace) and Dave (Mrhappyplace), married couple celebrating 4 years with a quick trip to the Beach Club Resort, from September 7-10. Our short little pretrip thread is available for reading if you want background.

Let's back up to two Fridays prior to our trip, when I woke up in the middle of the night with searing throat pain. I let it go Saturday, but by Sunday, with no improvement, I had to go to the minute clinic. Yep, Strep. I have been teaching toddlers for 16 years, and very rarely get sick other than a minor cold here or there, so this was surprising, especially since I hadn't been exposed to my knowledge. I was prescribed-and finished-my prescription.

Fast forward now, to literally hours before our departure time. DH stayed home on Wednesday, September 6th to get our cats boarded and the house ready for our being gone. I came home from work, we ate a quick dinner, packed up the car, then I headed to bed for a few hours. When my alarm went off, I woke up---to searing throat pain. Crap. I decided to let it ride, hoping maybe it would go away. Nothing was stopping us from heading Home to the World!

Including....

That beyotch, Irma.

We debated what to do, but...well, not really debated, as we were always pretty certain that since our trip was scheduled to end Sunday morning anyway, that we would be fine. I did insist on taking a bunch more food than we normally would, as well as 2 cases of water, lots of ponchos, and an entire bag of shoes for both of us (can't stand wet shoes if I can help it)! Suffice to say I was WAY more worried than DH was.

So here we go!

Thursday, September 7th
We left north Georgia at about 1:00 am.

Earlier in the week, I had reposted this meme on facebook, saying it was going to be DH and I:
irma.jpg

This was the stone cold truth. I felt sort of guilty! These people fleeing for their lives and we were heading on vacation. But we knew we would be back before it got near, so on we pressed!

Here are actual images, right when we first really started to notice the difference in the lanes. It built much more as we drove, exits were full, rest stops backed up.

[NOTE: The images in this first post are from my cell, because I hadn't gotten my actual camera out yet]
20170907_072337.jpg

20170907_072332.jpg

Dave drove until we stopped for gas somewhere in Georgia, The station was NOT very well set up with construction and confusing signage so it took us forever to actually get in the right place. Then there were people blocking the pumps. We have no clue if they had already gotten their gas or what, but there were about 3 or 4 cars, obviously together and each taking their own pump, but not actively pumping any gas. Just snapchatting, dancing, and being generally obnoxious. We lined up behind another vehicle and eventually got our gas. While I was in the restroom, someone else did finally yell at this group for taking up so much space when lots of people were trying to gas up. One of the main reasons we chose this gas station was because it advertised a McDonald's. McDonald's for this gas station apparently consisted of a plywood counter, where someone stood and served coffee. That was it. This whole gas station was a MESS.

After this stop, I took over and drove until Lake City, where we tried stopping again for breakfast and gas. Breakfast was at Burger King (we had coupons for b1g1 crossainwiches) There were some people getting out of their cars at the same time, who were caravaning together. The woman made sure to wind down her window, then told us that she had 4 rabbits in her vehicle, and the other vehicle had 2 cats. I'm sure that was a fun trip!

After we grabbed the breakfast to-go, we drove across the street for gas, but the pumps were bagged. So we drove across another road, where the gas station was incredibly backed up. We drove down the street, but couldn't find any other, so back to the backed-up station we went, got in line, and got to a pump fairly quickly. But the pump wouldn't work, and the woman beside us was also having issues.

Figuring we'd have to try an exit further down, we pulled out of the station, and then on a whim, tried another station on the other side of the highway. At first it didn't seem like it wanted to work for us either, until I realized that they probably weren't accepting credit? So I told DH to enter it as a debit, and it worked. WHEW!! I was so worried. So we're not sure if the previous station was out of gas, or was doing something similar with the credit/ debit. We had our gas and though it took WAAAAY longer than we anticipated, we were back on the highway, this time with DH driving.

FINALLY we see the light!!! (And no, I am not really complaining about the trip, as I said...I know, people were driving for life & death purposes, and we voluntarily chose to go on vacation. Just trying to add all the details and humor of our trip, is all!)
20170907_085818.jpg

We easily found our way to our home for the next few days- Beach Club!

The guard at the gate was an adorable older gentleman from somewhere in NY named Joe. He was excited to check us in because he had a new toy (ipad). He asked us for our last name (which is a Russian doozy of a name), and we began to spell:

Us: Z-A...

Joe: okay L...?

Us: no, Z-A..

Joe: L-A.

Us: no! Z!

Joe: L-Z!! (We have no idea where he got the L from).

We were laughing so hard. DH just pulled out his id and then he was able to type it in correctly.

We pulled up to the lobby, unloaded our luggage with bell services. The man then recommended that we go right then and top off our tank, so we did that quickly, came back, and parked. We had done online check-in, but wanted to let the from desk know that we were there this early. And our room was ready! Yay!

In-room pics (and more pics in general) coming up! Thanks for reading along!

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
After dinner, it was raining a bit, but not too hard. We set off in the direction of Liberty Square; I wanted to check out the Christmas Shoppe. One of DH's coworkers had just had a baby boy, so we got him a Pooh ornament (one of those fabric ones, I love them), as well as an ornament for us.

Backstory on this photo...everytime we watch an episode of Sleepy Hollow, DH yells "Ichabob!" so I had to take this above the Christmas Shoppe
IMG_7011 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Upon leaving, we saw a family very intently watching something near the bridge. We approached and saw a squirrel darting along, and eventually up a tree. It had something humongous in it's cheeks. Like apple-sized!

We altered course and went past HM and Tangled bathrooms to use our Peter Pan FP. Something about this ride just says "you're in Magic Kingdom" to me. Afterwards, with time to go before our next FP, we waited maybe 5 minutes standby for HM (I think the wait was posted as 10). The CM at the entrance was from Penn State! (my alma mater)

Afterwards, we walked back across the hub to Tomorrowland, so castle pics
IMG_7012 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7013 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I don't even think we used our FP for Buzz, the wait was 5 minutes, i.e. the length of time it takes to walk the queue. Final scores (I won) He usually beats me at Toy Story though, so we're even.
IMG_7014 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7018 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

20170910_125646 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7022 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

After that, it was time to check in to our Happily Ever After Dessert Party! Now, I normally wouldn't do something like this, but being the first time we would see HEA, we wanted a guaranteed spot for viewing. Had we known a hurricane was coming and it wouldn't be insanely crowded, we wouldn't have needed it. We think it is safe to say that no one can eat the cost's worth of desserts, so we basically paid for the spot. That being said, some of the desserts were quite good (especially the macarons!!)

We checked in and were led to our table near the far wall. I was sitting near the wall until a water drop fell on me and scared the bejeezus out of me! We tried our hardest to stuff ourselves (and we also filled a baggie with macarons at the end, shhh!)

Some of the offerings:

The chocolate covered strawberries were really good, and we especially appreciated the long stems for easy handling!
IMG_7023 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7024 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7025 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7026 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

In addition, they had fruit and cheese platters, and an ice cream station. There was a nice selection of drinks including sparkling apple juice, cocoa, water, hot tea, coffee, unsweet treat, and milk. Apparently this was the BEST. MILK. EVER. as we overheard one boy tell his family as he came back with a refill. My throat was very sore still, so I went with hot tea.

My first plate (DH laughed that I got cheese...it's like he doesn't even know me)
IMG_7027 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

DH's first plate
IMG_7028 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

There were 6 flavors of macarons, but my absolute favorite were the pistachio. I ate so many :oops:

When we were done, a CM with a light up sword led us to our viewing location. Not too many people had come over yet, so we picked a good spot and set up our tripod. Another girl asked us if we minded her setting her tripod up next to us, and we told her to go ahead...we ended up talking to her quite a bit. She helped me with photography a bit, and showed me her remote for her camera (we ordered one just like it from amazon upon returning home, only to find out my camera doesn't support it :rolleyes:) She was from California and visited DL often, but had visited WDW 3 times already this year. She was nice to talk to, and also not afraid to say something when a man came and stood right in front of us...I don't think he did it on purpose so much as he was oblivious...he moved.

It had stopped raining, by the way.

I will post my fireworks photos tomorrow...thanks for reading along!

riverside

Premium Member
Time to head to our Anniversary Dinner at a new-to-us place, Skipper's Canteen! Our Anniversary was August 31st, so we were only about a week late!

I told myself not to take tons of pictures of the fall decor, because we've been a couple times in the fall now and I have lots of pictures, but I just had to take one on the walk across to Adventureland.
IMG_6989 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We checked in a bit early for our dinner, and inquired about the butterfly table. The CM checking us in said she would check to see if the guests sitting there had just been sat, or if they'd been there awhile, in which case we wanted to wait for the table. She said "no, they've only been there 45 minutes so that won't work but we'll sit you in the same room"....huh? Hoookay lady....seems like 45 minutes would be close to being done?

We were called like 2 minutes later, just long enough to get a drink of water from the cooler in the waiting area, and were sat near the butterfly table, where there were some people. Unfortunately, this was one of the cases I mentioned previously, where since we are only 2, we got the smallest 2-top table. The hostess, while leading us to our table pointed out the "high lights" of the restaurant...they have three! She also pointed out her favorite book on the shelves, Shades of Khaki. She told us our server would be Dani, and if we needed her, she would be the one dressed in khaki :joyfull:

Our server, Dani, came over to introduce herself and get our drink orders. DH looked at her nametag, and she was from our hometown!! Such a small town, and small world indeed. After we placed our drink orders, I got up to take some pictures, and the butterfly table was vacant!! :mad: A small gripe, I know.

The back of the menu
IMG_6990 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6992 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6993 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

The book titles were very funny
IMG_6995 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6996 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_6997 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

See the high lights?
IMG_6998 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

DH ordered the Schweitzer Slush
IMG_6999 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7000 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I just went with coke
IMG_7001 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We ordered and split the S.E.A Shu Mai (steamed pork, shrimp, edamame in gyoza skin), which were quite good, even though I'm not crazy about shrimp. Incidentally, we noticed that the plate was the same as Liberty Tree Tavern.
IMG_7003 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

DH is much more proficient at chopsticks than I...I tried, but resorted to a fork rather quickly.
IMG_7004 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

DH debated, because he doesn't really care for foods that are messy to eat, but he was brave (with Dani's encouragement) and went with the whole fish! Caution: fish eyes about to be staring at you!! He enjoyed this!

IMG_7006 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I went with the Tastes Like Chicken, Because It Is--and loved it! I would definitely order this again!
IMG_7007 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And here we are with Dani
IMG_7009 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We declined dessert, because we had other plans that would provide dessert. A picture on the way out:
IMG_7010 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Overall, we were very pleased with our dinner, and would eat here again. We both would definitely order what we had again, but there are also other things on the menu we want to try, so safe to say this will probably be repeated at some time in the future.
Those book titles are quite humorous!! I may have to try that restaurant. The menu always makes me a little nervous so I never bothered. I'm sure I could find something I would like. Probably getting the servers take on some dishes would help.
Enjoying your report!!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Those book titles are quite humorous!! I may have to try that restaurant. The menu always makes me a little nervous so I never bothered. I'm sure I could find something I would like. Probably getting the servers take on some dishes would help.
Enjoying your report!!

They really were, much more time could've been spent perusing them, as well as the rest of the restaurant for little jokes and nods to Jungle Cruise, for sure. I think more time is required here :)

DH had said all along that he really wanted to order the whole fish, though he was a little intimidated. I forgot to post this in the actual meal post, but our server Dani said to him "what's the worst that could happen, choking on a bone?" :p She really encouraged him, but yes, answered our questions and gave pointers...she even showed DH where the best place to start eating the fish was. So I would definitely get the servers' takes!! There are some things like char sui pork and others that are not too too adventurous.

Thanks for reading!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry in advance, these next couple of posts are going to be very picture-heavy.

First up, was Once Upon a Time...
IMG_7029 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7035 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Stoopid lightposts...
IMG_7036 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7040 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7041 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7043 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7046 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7056 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7058 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7064 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7066 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7068 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7071 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, I struggled with the fireworks shots coming up.

The first two weren't bad. But the smoke was not dissipating at all and so each subsequent shot was harder and harder to focus because of smoke. There were points where we couldn't even see the castle at all! I really couldn't get my settings right...I just don't quite have the skill set yet. I am so disappointed with myself, that I feel like our good spot was wasted and very few of my shots turned out...oh well. I will be studying up and getting better, darn it!

I was very glad to see that Tink still flies! I hadn't spoiled myself by watching any videos of the fireworks show, so I had no clue!

IMG_7084 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7085 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7101 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7120 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7130 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We headed out right after the show. There was a bus already there, but we made it on though we had to stand. We got off at the Yacht Club again and went to the room, where we found the following notice under our door.
IMG_7140 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, September 9th

Up and at 'em early today, with plans to rope drop Flights of Passage at AK. I was only ever able to snag a FP for it SUNDAY at 11:00. Back before Irma was a threat, we had thoughts that if we didn't get a chance to ride it standby on the days prior, we would pack up, drive to AK on Sunday (departure day), ride it, then leave for home. By this point, I believe Disney had already cancelled our FP for the next day anyway, as WDW would be closed. So this was our only chance this trip, really. It was extra magic hours today (Saturday) and we got to the entrance and in line before it opened for EMH. Scanned our bands at the tapstiles, and then scanned them to prove we could be at EMH, and we were off to Pandora!

IMG_7142 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Little blurry, taken while walking
IMG_7143 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7145 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We were stopped right at the entrance to Pandora, and waited maybe 10 minutes or so. Then we shuffled along with the rest of the crowd, through the winding pathways.
IMG_7144 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

The wait time posted was 60 but we wondered if that's what the first posting says everyday, because we walked through the queue and right on.
IMG_7146 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

The queue was very visually appealing, I thought.
IMG_7147 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7148 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7149 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7150 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7151 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Again while walking
IMG_7154 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7155 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7156 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We were directed to one of the rooms up the stairs, listened to the annoying video guy, were matched with our avatars, and then the CM came back in the room and said that there was a problem, and to follow him to another room. We were led down the stairs and into another room, where we had to listen to annoying guy ALL OVER AGAIN. But everything went fine in this room, so we were led on into the flight room. When I walked in I said "it smells like Soarin'"

My thoughts were "this is so cool!!" I really felt like I was flying! DH really liked the support that enclosed on your lower back...he wished it would massage! He said he even felt his stomach hitch at some of the banks and turns. I thought it was really well done.

IMG_7157 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Ending up in the store. I had wanted to get a photo of this area the other day but it was too busy, so I took my opportunity now
IMG_7158 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7159 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7160 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We had a FP for a little later for the Na'vi River Journey again, but as it was a walk-on, and still during EMH, we did standby (and I released our FP)
IMG_7161 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I just went with a phone shot here
20170909_085504 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
These were actually taken the first day we visited AK/ Pandora...I forgot to post them but they fit in here :oops:

Screenshot_20170910-125151 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Screenshot_20170910-125129 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Screenshot_20170910-125106 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We had a FP for the Nemo show, but we felt like we wanted to get back to the resort for some swim time, and Epcot for some more F&W, so we left. We felt like we were probably the first people leaving the park because it was so early! On the way out I spotted a cardinal, which my family loves.
IMG_7170 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And this notice
IMG_7168 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

On the way through the lobby when we got back, we stopped at the front desk and told them that Sunday was our departure day, but that we planned on leaving early, at 2am (we weren't sure what the traffic situation would be). We inquired about what is best, to pack up tonight and have bell services store our stuff until we're ready to leave, or call down at 2 am and have them pick it all up then. She said whatever works best for us. But when we got in the elevator, a bell service man joined us, so we went straight to the source! He said he preferred to store it overnight, so we planned on packing up that evening and calling them then.

And a picture of the mailbox in the lobby cause it's pretty
IMG_7141 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We changed into our swimsuits, and went down to the pool. The gate was open and we sort of hesitated because we knew they checked bands. The lifeguard said not to worry, she didn't care today, as the pool would only be open until noon, so that they could start Irma preparations. It seemed like the lifeguards were in great moods.

We went to the family hot tub, which strangely was much hotter than the adults-only one we tried first. We were joined by a little family who had evacuated from Miami, and a retired couple. We chatted at length about the hurricane and DVC with them, until we were all very warm from the water temp!

We parted ways, and went into the now-chilly-feeling pool. It didn't take long to get accustomed to the water, and it felt glorious. We did the waterslide several times and in general had a very relaxing and fun time. I think we stayed until about 11:30 or so. Went upstairs to get showered and ready, then it was off to Food & Wine!

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Rolling right along...

We walked through the International Gateway to Epcot in search of lots of food, we were hungry!

My camera was fogged up from being in the air conditioning..
IMG_7171 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

So the first three dishes were taken with my phone. First up was the Warm Irish Cheddar Cheese and Stout Dip with Irish Brown Bread. Um, yum. YUMMMMM. It wasn't quite enough bread but that's okay because as I mentioned in @bee 's trip report, I did indeed drink the leftover dip, a thicker cheddar soup if you will! DH had a bite, but cheesy things are usually my territory.
20170909_122220 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Next up, the LeCellier Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle-butter Sauce. Good as always, but since I've had it before I knew I liked it. We shared this, though the mushrooms were all mine! We did use one of our sampler tabs for this, as it is a more expensive selection.
20170909_122738 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Then, at the Australia booth, we got the Grilled Sweet & Spicy Bush Berry Shrimp with Pineapple, Pepper, Onion and Snap Peas, and the Grilled Lamb T-bone with Mint Pesto and Potato Crunchies (read crushed up potato chips) DH liked his shrimp, though he doesn't care for peppers and onions in his food. I think I sampled those, but no shrimp. We liked the lamb, it was very tender, and I loved the pesto!
20170909_123517 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We sat near the Refreshment Port to eat these, and while there, the wind was noticeably picking up from time to time, and a small branch/ large twig fell on me!

By then my camera had de-fogged so I tried to capture some pics of the weather, and hurricane prep. You can see the lamp all wrapped up.
IMG_7172 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

The sky was the same color of SSE
IMG_7174 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7176 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Next up were the Kalua Pork Sliders with Sweet n Sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayo...we were fairly certain we'd like these, so got 2. We were correct!
IMG_7177 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

My DH loves him some Chinese food, so we decided to have a Chinese feast at the booth there. We took one of each food item (Beijing Roasted Duck Bao, Spicy Chicken Bao, Black Pepper Shrimp & garlic noodles, and Chicken Pot Stickers). DH also got a Happy Peach drink (DeKuyper Peach Liqueur and Myers's Dark Rum)
We both liked the pot stickers, and really really liked the duck bao. The chicken bao was pretty meh, and the black pepper shrimp & noodles was something we'd tried on a previous F&W trip, and liked. The Happy Peach was really good!
IMG_7178 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We found a bench near the theater in China, and sat down to eat. We watched these CMs walk around and point out various things, I'm sure, having to do with Irma prep. While we sat, they also made an announcement over the loudspeakers (and would periodically for the rest of the day as well) that Epcot would be closing at 9:00, and that Illuminations would not happen that evening. Kind of strange and eerie.
IMG_7179 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7180 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Then we did something I hadn't done in years, which is to watch the 360 movie inside. We then took some time to wander the marketplace afterwards, and really enjoyed ourselves.
IMG_7181 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7183 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7184 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We thought these were quite unique!
IMG_7185 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7186 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

More lights all wrapped up
IMG_7187 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Last edited:

Kiwiduck

Sorry in advance, these next couple of posts are going to be very picture-heavy.

First up, was Once Upon a Time...
IMG_7029 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7035 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Stoopid lightposts...
IMG_7036 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7040 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7041 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7043 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7046 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7056 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7058 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7064 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7066 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7068 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7071 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr
Looks like you had a great spot. Projections look great. Were you able to sit in the viewing area or did you have to stand?

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Looks like you had a great spot. Projections look great. Were you able to sit in the viewing area or did you have to stand?

It was a pretty great spot!

The grass was wet from rain, so no one was sitting when we were there, but you can...there was plenty of space. Now, granted, it was a lighter crowd because of Irma. I imagine your view wouldn't be as good if you sat, though? We stood near the front rail of the space because I wanted to use my tripod, but we were one of the first parties in there.

Thanks for reading!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I mentioned previously how it seemed like all of the CMs were in excellent moods, even with impending hurricanes coming our way (not that I've encountered many that aren't anyway)...here are a couple of examples. The park really was not busy and I think many CMs found themselves with downtime, as well.

I didn't catch them in action, but these two were bouncing a ball back and forth, until the man asked the one on the right a question.
IMG_7188 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

This CM was doing a whole interpretive dance of some sort...like a full minute or so with kicks, twirls, you name it, in that whole open space.
IMG_7190 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I'll have another example in a bit.

We stopped just briefly at the yodelers...don't know their actual name. Those HEELS!
IMG_7191 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7192 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We shared a cannoli...probably could have gotten one each, it was quite good, but quite small.
IMG_7193 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Little details on the bridge I'd not noticed before...
IMG_7194 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We stopped in to see Voices of Liberty which has become almost a must-do for me, when possible. I also have a video of them I'll try to post later on, of them singing a medley of Disney songs.
IMG_7195 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

The leader of the VoL gave a little speech before one of the songs, saying how America is a diverse country, and the little boy, maybe around 7, near DH said to someone with him "he's right, we are a country of divers!" I didn't hear him but DH told me afterwards, to my enjoyment. He said that the boy said it with such agreement, with no question.

DH hadn't ever seen the American Adventure show, so that's what we did next.
IMG_7196 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7197 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7199 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Outside, more hurricane prep...all of the tables at Spice Road Table grouped together away from the railings.
IMG_7202 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And more food, of course!! This is the Beer Braised Beef with Smoked Gouda Mashed Potatoes from Belgium. This was good, nothing spectacular.
IMG_7203 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And the Crispy Pork Belly with Black Beans, Tomato & Onion. The beans were for DH, I can't stand the texture. We split the very small serving of pork belly, which was good but I wouldn't say crispy.
IMG_7204 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

In France, DH went with the La Passion Martini Slush, which he liked
IMG_7205 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And I got the Creme Brulee a la Confiture de Framboises (housemade raspberry jam), which was very good. DH had a bite or two. I'm a sucker for raspberry in anything.
IMG_7206 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We sat on a bench near the fountain (which wasn't on-didn't think then to grab a pic) and I overheard the group of people behind us, and the trashiest talk. It was obnoxious. Some people are so classy when they're in public.

I did take a pic of the fountain in Great Britain (near the restrooms I needed to stop at) which also wasn't on.
IMG_7207 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7208 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
I mentioned earlier that the CMs were really having fun...

This group was standing in two lines. To the left, barely visible in this pic (sorry) is a square taped off with yellow or green masking tape. The CMs would start off chanting, quietly at first and gradually getting louder, "square, square, square, SQUARE, SQUARE, SQUARE!!!" and when a guest would jump in the square, they would cheer wildly, and then have the guest run down through the rows of CMs and give each five. It was hilarious!! I took a video as well, and will try to post it later, though it was toward the end. We stood there and just watched for a bit.

IMG_7209 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7210 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We, for the first time this trip, turned toward Future World! Notice anything missing on the Mickey topiary?
IMG_7211 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We had a Photopass Pic on the way, I really like this
Screenshot_20170910-125556 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Our destination was the Festival Center
IMG_7212 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

How apropos for this trip
IMG_7213 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We wandered around checking out the wines (we are not wine drinkers, but like to look at the fun bottles) and the chocolate displays
IMG_7214 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7215 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7216 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

This Avatar one looked much cooler and well done in person, but looking at the pic, it looks a mess!
IMG_7217 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7218 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Then we walked over to Future World West; there were a number of things we wanted to try there.
IMG_7221 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

On the left is Smoked Corned Beef with Crispy Potatoes, Pickled Onions and Blonde Ale Beer Fondue. This was basically like nachos but with potato chips, and were very good! Huge serving, we couldn't finish, though we were nearing our limit. On the right is the Piggy Wings with Korean BBQ Sauce and Sesame Seeds. Also very good!
IMG_7222 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

These were both at the new Flavors From Fire booth, and it had such an amazing design! Built in seating and tables everywhere! I really liked the wood overlays on the pavement as well.
IMG_7223 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7224 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7225 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Prior to the trip, we read that the Light Lab was always very crowded. Not so today!! #NotQuiteShirleyStatusButClose
IMG_7226 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We didn't want to order anything, just look around
IMG_7227 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7228 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
While I'm waiting for my last :cry: batch of pictures to upload, we thought of a couple random observations I forgot to point out.

-the first occurred at the Festival Center, as we were sitting down to get our bearings and see where we wanted to head next. We overheard a CM who was giving out the AP button "gifts" :rolleyes: say "he's wearing one too!" So we looked up and the guy is wearing a t-shirt that says

I pooped at Disney World

:hungover:

The man said "well, yeah we did it together. I mean we got the shirts made together, not like we were in the same stall!"

:banghead:

-on this day we noticed no less than 3 or 4 people wearing a shirt that said "I drink and know things" (gotta love Tyrion!)

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello, Figgy!
IMG_7229 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We had been searching, and finally found it...the Liquid Nitro Chocolate-Almond Truffle with Warm Whiskey Caramel that we wanted to try. These ladies seemed all too happy to make it for us, and they really got a kick out of my taking their pictures! This was at the Chocolate Studio booth.
IMG_7230 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7231 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

IMG_7232 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Verdict? It was pretty good. It wasn't as frozen as I'd imagine it would be, but then we did take a pic first so maybe it had already started defrosting? The caramel was good. The chocolate tasted like mousse to me, and I didn't really get an almond flavor.

Again, this path of booths (Chocolate, Coastal Eats, Flavors by Fire, etc) all in Future World East had great pathways and seating areas, art, etc).
IMG_7233 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And, even though it wasn't a Food & Wine offering (though it is listed in the passport, it is always available) DH had to get the Cronut we are fond of.
IMG_7234 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

All of the equipment taken off of the Canada stage
IMG_7235 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

Wrapped lights in Great Britain near Rose & Crown
IMG_7236 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

While I waited in line for my last treat, DH was enjoying his Cronut.
IMG_7237 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And here it is, the Warm Chocolate Pudding with Irish Cream Liqueur Custard. SOOOO SOOO GOOD. This was a perfect last choice.
IMG_7238 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

I ate as we walked toward the IG exit. Tapstiles wrapped
IMG_7239 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

We walked over toward Boardwalk because even though we had eaten so much, DH felt he wanted some Ample Hills. I waited outside at a table, while he went in. About 5 minutes later he came back out...with nothing. He said 1) he looked behind the counter and still didn't see the flight containers, which is what we enjoyed last time, and 2) he stood there for all of those 5 minutes, and not one person greeted him or offered to help. So he walked out. I asked if he wanted me to go in, but we gave it up and walked back across to Beach Club. On the way, we saw a woman with a tiny little dog in her purse. This was before we read that the Disney resorts were being lenient on pets, so it kind of surprised us.

With that, we went in to pack :( When we had things organized (things that could be stored/ things we would carry out ourselves), we called Bell Services. A man came up, and when we told him our plans, he told us that if it was easier for us, he could take the things down, and DH could pull the car around and they could load it then. So that's what they did. With the car loaded, we laid down at around 9pm. Note I didn't say "sleep" because just as we were on the verge of sleep there was a knock on our door. Mousekeeping! We told her we didn't need anything, that we were leaving shortly, and she seemed surprised. (We kept a Do Not Disturb sign on our doorknob for our whole visit because we would have plenty of supplies, and I didn't want them to worry about a luxury for us when others were evacuating)
THEN a little while later, both of our phones went off with that annoying alert sound, telling us there was a hurricane coming. NO **** Shirley. I MEAN!! Not THAT Shirley!

We finally got some sleep, and awoke at 1:40am. Gathered our belongings and headed out...I had been meaning to take this pic our whole stay and finally remembered...this is in the floral arrangement in the lobby:
IMG_7240 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

And, true #ShirleyStatus, but not in a good way. This is what the front of the resort looks like at that time
20170910_015746 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

20170910_015746 by Amber Zaremsky, on Flickr

The good news is we had ZERO traffic. None, for a long, long time. There were tons of emergency service/ power/ electric company trucks going the other direction in preparation. We made it home by 9:30 am. I literally got back in the car after just dumping it all in the house and went to the CVS minute clinic near me, to find out my suspicion was correct, I did indeed have strep. Again. Hopefully it stays away this time.

I'll say it again, I'd never wish for a hurricane to hit Disney (or anywhere) again, but the three days there were the least busy time I've visited since back in the day! So glad it turned out ok for Disney, and I felt very safe the whole time.

Thanks all for reading!! I will be starting the Pre-trip for our next trip soon!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom