Impromptu March Trip

Princess Leia

So this has been on the back of my mind for a couple months now, but I'm actually considering it now. I live in Ohio, but I'm considering taking a day trip (I haven't found a single friend/coworker who has talked me out of this) in late February or early March. It's mostly to serve as a boost towards my mental health (Long story short, I need a nice break from reality, and I know that Disney is a good place for that). My flight would arrive shortly after 10, and I would need to be back on the plane at 7.

I'm looking at DHS as the destination, as it has the fewest attractions and I would feel as rushed trying to do them all. I could also do AK, but the park has never been a favorite for me (though there has been a lot added to it since I was last there in 2000).

It would most likely just be me (unless I convince my sister in Texas to join me). I don't want to go the week before Easter, but I suppose it could be a possibility. Has anyone done something like this? Is it even worth doing?

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
You should go the first week of March and go to Epcot. The Flower & Garden Festival starts and I think that would be worth checking out. If you go the first that week, you will miss the rush of previous weekends from President's Day and runDisney. That's just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Princess Leia

Original Poster
You should go the first week of March and go to Epcot. The Flower & Garden Festival starts and I think that would be worth checking out. If you go the first that week, you will miss the rush of previous weekends from President's Day and runDisney. That's just my opinion.
Ooooh thanks. I went to F&G on my last trip (.... 9 years ago), and while that wasn't the focus/reason of the trip, I enjoyed the topiaries and got to see the Guess Who.

Upvote 0

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Okay, I changed the title, and I'm going to change the description a little. My maternal grandfather started receiving hospice care 1 1/2 weeks ago, and while I initially thought he had months to live, it looks like it may be weeks instead. I lost my paternal grandfather last May, and knowing how I dealt (or didn't deal) with that, I know that I am going to need to go to the Happiest Place on Earth. I'm still planning a trip with friends over Thanksgiving/my birthday, but if he passes this month (which, unfortunately, it looks like it could be), I am going to try to schedule a trip in March with my sister. I have never planned a trip like this on such short notice (at least not to Disney World- I planned a trip to Montreal with an aunt in 4 weeks last summer).

So, right now, it could either be a duo or a solo trip, but over a few days instead. I know that I won't be able to get the initial FP+s that I want, but that doesn't really matter to me right now. I just know that I'll need to be there. Some quick questions though-
  • How hard is it to book a hotel days to weeks in advance?
  • I love DHS, but if we only spend 3 days in parks, would it be better to go to Animal Kingdom instead? We're in our mid-20s, and I'm trying to be cost-conscientious
  • What is weather like in early March? I got a pretty nasty sunburn on my last trip (went to Clearwater Beach) and would like to avoid that experience again
  • What is considered to be the best moderate hotel? I've only stayed the All-Stars and offsite.
  • Is it even possible to book an ADR in such short notice?

Upvote 0

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
Sorry about whats happening in your life right now and I hope you can find some happiness.

How hard is it to book a hotel days to weeks in advance?
You're best bet is to just see what available for the nights are you looking to book. I'm sure there are open spots.

I love DHS, but if we only spend 3 days in parks, would it be better to go to Animal Kingdom instead? We're in our mid-20s, and I'm trying to be cost-conscientious
I would choose Animal Kingdom only because Hollywood Studios is in such a messy state.

What is weather like in early March? I got a pretty nasty sunburn on my last trip (went to Clearwater Beach) and would like to avoid that experience again
Bring sunscreen! It's usually pretty warm. Right now its currently High 70's in the day and low 50's at night!

What is considered to be the best moderate hotel? I've only stayed the All-Stars and offsite.
I've never stayed in a moderate but everyone seems to love Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside.

Is it even possible to book an ADR in such short notice?
I'm going early March and I just booked an ADR last night. You probably won't be able to get reservations for the more popular restaurants though.

Upvote 0

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Sorry about whats happening in your life right now and I hope you can find some happiness.

How hard is it to book a hotel days to weeks in advance?
You're best bet is to just see what available for the nights are you looking to book. I'm sure there are open spots.

I love DHS, but if we only spend 3 days in parks, would it be better to go to Animal Kingdom instead? We're in our mid-20s, and I'm trying to be cost-conscientious
I would choose Animal Kingdom only because Hollywood Studios is in such a messy state.

What is weather like in early March? I got a pretty nasty sunburn on my last trip (went to Clearwater Beach) and would like to avoid that experience again
Bring sunscreen! It's usually pretty warm. Right now its currently High 70's in the day and low 50's at night!

What is considered to be the best moderate hotel? I've only stayed the All-Stars and offsite.
I've never stayed in a moderate but everyone seems to love Port Orleans French Quarter or Riverside.

Is it even possible to book an ADR in such short notice?
I'm going early March and I just booked an ADR last night. You probably won't be able to get reservations for the more popular restaurants though.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

That's a hard one. We were on my most expensive trip ever when my dad was sick. No one knew what it was and they were doing Dr. House to find out. Spending a FORTUNE and the unknown made that trip miserable for me. I kept it hidden as much as I could and I never asked anyone on the trip how it was for them (2008). Turns out it was cancer and he passed 5 weeks after diagnosis.

Upvote 0

Princess Leia

Original Poster
That's a hard one. We were on my most expensive trip ever when my dad was sick. No one knew what it was and they were doing Dr. House to find out. Spending a FORTUNE and the unknown made that trip miserable for me. I kept it hidden as much as I could and I never asked anyone on the trip how it was for them (2008). Turns out it was cancer and he passed 5 weeks after diagnosis.
I'm sorry about your dad. Coincidentally, my last trip was also in 2008, a few months after a pretty stressful family time. No one passed away, but we all were in need of the trip.

I don't want to go on a trip like this until after the inevitable happens for the very reasons you highlighted. I want to go to Orlando to get rid of stress, not to have more stress added.

Upvote 0

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Looks like I will know by Monday if this trip is happening. My sister is going to talk to her boss about taking time off for a couple days. I think it could be March 5th-8th.

Upvote 0

MySmallWorldof4

On Disney's website, for March 5-8 using the Fun & Sun Promo they have Coronado for $169 a night. That is for 2 adults. I would go to EPCOT. Flower and Garden starts the week before, and the flowers and the setting are just so beautiful and should be healing to the soul. I was in Disney 3 years ago a few days before my grandmother passed with my husband and kids. My uncle told me to go and have fun and not to worry because that was what she would have wanted. Best wishes.

Upvote 0

Princess Leia

Original Poster
On Disney's website, for March 5-8 using the Fun & Sun Promo they have Coronado for $169 a night. That is for 2 adults. I would go to EPCOT. Flower and Garden starts the week before, and the flowers and the setting are just so beautiful and should be healing to the soul. I was in Disney 3 years ago a few days before my grandmother passed with my husband and kids. My uncle told me to go and have fun and not to worry because that was what she would have wanted. Best wishes.
I'm sorry about your grandmother. My grandpa's got his good days and his bad days, but he's not fading as fast as I thought he was going to a month ago, so it's nice to still have him around, even though it can be bittersweet at times.

I really loved Flower and Garden when I went last time, and I think it'd be fun to go again. I'm trying not to do too much planning until I know for certain (so.... tomorrow....), but knowing that I have less than a week to potentially plan is starting to stress me out a bit. I'm going to let my sister pick the non MK park (2 days at Disney, one at the Uni parks is the only plan right now), but I feel like I'll be the one figuring out the fastpasses and any ADR that I can grab at this late stage.

I was looking at the Coronado! We've never stayed there, and it being on location is a major bonus. My sister wants to look at Airbnb too, so that's another possibility.

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

I'm going to let my sister pick the non MK park (2 days at Disney, one at the Uni parks is the only plan right now),

Have you considered staying the 3 nights on-site at Uni in one of their "deluxe" resorts and spending 2 days at the Uni parks and 1 day at MK? The Uni resorts are more reasonably priced than comparable on-site WDW reports and right now, unless one has an aversion to thrill rides, Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios are both better parks than Epcot, AK and DHS. I did this for my last trip to Orlando. It was the first time I didn't stay onsite at WDW and I had a great time. I expect that after Avatar, SWL and TSL open, I will go back to staying on-site at WDW, but right now, MK is the only WDW park which I consider better than the Uni parks.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Okay, I changed the title, and I'm going to change the description a little. My maternal grandfather started receiving hospice care 1 1/2 weeks ago, and while I initially thought he had months to live, it looks like it may be weeks instead. I lost my paternal grandfather last May, and knowing how I dealt (or didn't deal) with that, I know that I am going to need to go to the Happiest Place on Earth. I'm still planning a trip with friends over Thanksgiving/my birthday, but if he passes this month (which, unfortunately, it looks like it could be), I am going to try to schedule a trip in March with my sister. I have never planned a trip like this on such short notice (at least not to Disney World- I planned a trip to Montreal with an aunt in 4 weeks last summer).

So, right now, it could either be a duo or a solo trip, but over a few days instead. I know that I won't be able to get the initial FP+s that I want, but that doesn't really matter to me right now. I just know that I'll need to be there. Some quick questions though-
  • How hard is it to book a hotel days to weeks in advance?
  • I love DHS, but if we only spend 3 days in parks, would it be better to go to Animal Kingdom instead? We're in our mid-20s, and I'm trying to be cost-conscientious
  • What is weather like in early March? I got a pretty nasty sunburn on my last trip (went to Clearwater Beach) and would like to avoid that experience again
  • What is considered to be the best moderate hotel? I've only stayed the All-Stars and offsite.
  • Is it even possible to book an ADR in such short notice?

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. My brother passed away several years ago after a battle with cancer and a very short stay in hospice.

After deciding what to do for a funeral, where to inter his ashes and cleaning out his apartment, I needed to go to a happy place. I made my resort reservation 3 days before I left. I made a couple of ADRs, but don't expect to get the in-demand restaurants or desirable times. There are several good quick service restaurants at most parks.

I'd do Animal Kingdom. With all the construction at DHS, there aren't that many rides now. And because of that, the park is crowded. This past Thursday, the standby time for Star Tours was over a hour. Rivers of Light at DAK is now open and you might be able to get a FP.

I'd stay at POR. Best moderate on property. But book fast. With all the construction scheduled at CBR, people are switching to Port Orleans.

March is a mixed bag, weather wise. It maybe in the upper 70s or low 80s one day and cool the next. I'd dress for the warmer, but bring a jacket and long pants, just in case. And it will rain. Had a good rainstorm this past Wednesday. If you sunburn easily, bring sunscreen. I'm a little pink from Friday, yesterday and today.

I let my trip be a "go with the flow" type. Didn't plan much, rode what I could (but didn't stress about it) and actually enjoyed just walking around the parks, enjoying them as opposed to "we gotta get to..." And there's always Disney Springs. Window shopping can be therapeutic.

Being in a place that makes you happy and gives you joy will help you get through your grief.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom