Imagineerland: Library of London Attraction Concept

Imagineerland

Original Poster
Happy New Year guys!

For the new year, I wanted to share a project that I just posted that I have been working on for a while and I hope you will enjoy!

Here's the introduction, straight from Imagineerland. Full text at the blog.

"This post will detail an original attraction that I have designed for the UK Pavilion in EPCOT. If you have seen my EPCOT expansion plan before, you will have already gotten a quick description of this attraction.

As part of my mission for my expanded EPCOT, I wanted to have an attraction in each and every pavilion, so the UK needed something. Luckily there was a pretty good sized plot on the south side of the back square that was always meant for an attraction. So location was not an issue with this project.

But more importantly, I wanted the elements of each pavilion to better focus on the culture and historical contributions of each region to the world. I am a big proponent for no Disney characters in World Showcase. I'm actually pretty ok with them in most other situations within reason, but not in World Showcase, because of its intended cultural diversity, mature tone, and focus on representing the reality of the world outside the parks. It isn't just another backlot to fill with animated characters and IPs, it has a more noble purpose of education and globalization. So, I set these standards to myself when approaching this attraction.

The best way to describe how I thought about what stories should be told in the attractions of World Showcase is that I aimed to demonstrate the significance of the contribution each pavilion has made to global culture. Easier in some cases than others, but for the UK, I had some great options.

Among some other possible topics, I came to realize that British Literature is a huge topic that has obvious impact (even if just by defining a high school literature class). This was a theme I saw alot of potential in, most notably because I could draw on literally centuries of defined characters and settings to have immediate emotional connections. And since they are literary characters, not visual, there is no real required look or style, so the characters could be manipulated to align into a common visual language. Plus many of the stories are in the public domain, so it would be completely reasonable for them to be used in an attraction. Its almost like the perfect way around my previous no characters statement: gets the benefit of previous knowledge and emotional connection with a character and represents the true identity of the country without being out of place or a misplaced animated property.

So I had a general theme and a few ideas about how to formulate a collection of British Lit highlights into a dark ride. I also took a bit of inspiration from some other well regarded Disney attractions when it came to the overarching plot that contains the scenes."

And then comes the text of the walkthrough, which is posted in full here at Imagineerland!

But I'll share the drawings with you now anyway: an exterior elevation, and the attraction plan.

londn%2Blibrary%2Belevation-01.png

london%2Blibrary%2Bplan-01.png

Plus, I did something new for this project that I think is pretty cool: I made a walkthrough video of the ride. Link is in the blog post, but if you can, read the description first! Hope you guys like the attraction as much as I enjoyed designing it.

I also wanted to give you the first preview of what I have planned for this next year at Imagineerland and how I want to get more involved with fellow designers. So in addition to one design post each month, I am planning for one text post each month. These monthly posts would mostly be commentaries or essays about the architectural and planning theory of theme park design. Other times they might be detailed reviews of attractions or books, or maybe top lists, or other random thoughts. But in each case, I plan to present them as the start of a discussion that I hope you guys will participate in. I would love to use the design projects and essays to start meaningful talk about the design of what we all love so much!

I'll be talking more about this on the blog soon and I'll be back here to let you know once it gets started!

Thanks for reading everyone and have a happy new year!

Imagineerland

Original Poster
Just wanted to share an quick update about the happenings on Imagineerland with you all.

This week, I posted my first discussion post about the urban plan of theme park, specifically the layout of the classic hub and spoke of Disneyland. I included some thoughts that I hope could lead to a discussion about the design strategies that make a theme park like Disneyland a special and transformative place.

These essays are going to be a regular feature on the page, along with more design posts, so I hope you all want to join in the discussion with me, either in the comments on the blog, or on a thread here! I think we could get into some interesting discussion about the theory of design that would benefit all of our projects.

If you are interested, I can make a new thread where we can consolidate the discussions for each post. Or if not, just come on over to Imagineerland and leave a comment!

Chris82

Happy New Year guys!

For the new year, I wanted to share a project that I just posted that I have been working on for a while and I hope you will enjoy!

"This post will detail an original attraction that I have designed for the UK Pavilion in EPCOT. If you have seen my EPCOT expansion plan before, you will have already gotten a quick description of this attraction.

As part of my mission for my expanded EPCOT, I wanted to have an attraction in each and every pavilion, so the UK needed something. Luckily there was a pretty good sized plot on the south side of the back square that was always meant for an attraction. So location was not an issue with this project.

But more importantly, I wanted the elements of each pavilion to better focus on the culture and historical contributions of each region to the world. I am a big proponent for no Disney characters in World Showcase. I'm actually pretty ok with them in most other situations within reason, but not in World Showcase, because of its intended cultural diversity, mature tone, and focus on representing the reality of the world outside the parks. It isn't just another backlot to fill with animated characters and IPs, it has a more noble purpose of education and globalization. So, I set these standards to myself when approaching this attraction.

The best way to describe how I thought about what stories should be told in the attractions of World Showcase is that I aimed to demonstrate the significance of the contribution each pavilion has made to global culture. Easier in some cases than others, but for the UK, I had some great options.

Among some other possible topics, I came to realize that British Literature is a huge topic that has obvious impact (even if just by defining a high school literature class). This was a theme I saw alot of potential in, most notably because I could draw on literally centuries of defined characters and settings to have immediate emotional connections. And since they are literary characters, not visual, there is no real required look or style, so the characters could be manipulated to align into a common visual language. Plus many of the stories are in the public domain, so it would be completely reasonable for them to be used in an attraction. Its almost like the perfect way around my previous no characters statement: gets the benefit of previous knowledge and emotional connection with a character and represents the true identity of the country without being out of place or a misplaced animated property.

So I had a general theme and a few ideas about how to formulate a collection of British Lit highlights into a dark ride. I also took a bit of inspiration from some other well regarded Disney attractions when it came to the overarching plot that contains the scenes."

And then comes the text of the walkthrough, which is posted in full here at Imagineerland!

But I'll share the drawings with you now anyway: an exterior elevation, and the attraction plan.

Plus, I did something new for this project that I think is pretty cool: I made a walkthrough video of the ride. Link is in the blog post, but if you can, read the description first! Hope you guys like the attraction as much as I enjoyed designing it.

I also wanted to give you the first preview of what I have planned for this next year at Imagineerland and how I want to get more involved with fellow designers. So in addition to one design post each month, I am planning for one text post each month. These monthly posts would mostly be commentaries or essays about the architectural and planning theory of theme park design. Other times they might be detailed reviews of attractions or books, or maybe top lists, or other random thoughts. But in each case, I plan to present them as the start of a discussion that I hope you guys will participate in. I would love to use the design projects and essays to start meaningful talk about the design of what we all love so much!

I'll be talking more about this on the blog soon and I'll be back here to let you know once it gets started!

Wow, nice work! Some random thoughts for you, whatever they're worth:

* In general, I think a Brit-Lit ride is an awesome idea, and very nicely brings something both entertaining and cultural to World Showcase
* In fact, these sorts of mythology/culture/literature based attractions are so awesome the only reason I can think for them not to exist is that they don't serve the financial interest of any international sponsors - which is why Maelstrom had trolls... AND an oil rig/film about Norwegians using computers.
* The name needs work. Maybe something like "Storybook Travellers" or "English Storybook Adventures." Or... I don't know. Naming is hard lol.
* I imagine that leaving out 101 Dalmatians, Alice in Wonderland, Robin Hood, Sword and the Stone, Winnie the Pooh, Jungle Book, Mary Poppins, Peter Pan, Tarzan, Oliver and Company and possibly others I haven't thought of would be a very tough sell for an IP-obsessed Disney. Depressing on the one hand, but on the other, would a mixture of old and new classics really be so bad? Apart from that, I think your choices of books to travel into is just about right :D
* I like the idea of the cat as a main character, reacting to things
* Getting sucked into the fireplace vortex is also a good idea - I love rides where the guests themselves are going on an adventure, not assuming a role - but why not actually go into the fireplace?
* I'm not sure I like everything being made out of books and shelves. I think part of the joy of a dark ride would be getting to be immersed in that world - I'd rather be immersed in Romeo and Juliet's Italy itself than in a book-built simulation of Romeo and Juliet's Italy
* I don't think there's a "c" in Jekyll :p
* Although this would never fly, a ride more specifically catering to English mystery/horror would be awesome. Jack the Ripper hosts :D

Thanks for sharing! I look forward to seeing more stuff from you.

Miru

Wow, nice work! Some random thoughts for you, whatever they're worth:

* In general, I think a Brit-Lit ride is an awesome idea, and very nicely brings something both entertaining and cultural to World Showcase
* In fact, these sorts of mythology/culture/literature based attractions are so awesome the only reason I can think for them not to exist is that they don't serve the financial interest of any international sponsors - which is why Maelstrom had trolls... AND an oil rig/film about Norwegians using computers.
* The name needs work. Maybe something like "Storybook Travellers" or "English Storybook Adventures." Or... I don't know. Naming is hard lol.
* I imagine that leaving out 101 Dalmatians, Alice in Wonderland, Robin Hood, Sword and the Stone, Winnie the Pooh, Jungle Book, Mary Poppins, Peter Pan, Tarzan, Oliver and Company and possibly others I haven't thought of would be a very tough sell for an IP-obsessed Disney. Depressing on the one hand, but on the other, would a mixture of old and new classics really be so bad? Apart from that, I think your choices of books to travel into is just about right :D
* I like the idea of the cat as a main character, reacting to things
* Getting sucked into the fireplace vortex is also a good idea - I love rides where the guests themselves are going on an adventure, not assuming a role - but why not actually go into the fireplace?
* I'm not sure I like everything being made out of books and shelves. I think part of the joy of a dark ride would be getting to be immersed in that world - I'd rather be immersed in Romeo and Juliet's Italy itself than in a book-built simulation of Romeo and Juliet's Italy
* I don't think there's a "c" in Jekyll :p
* Although this would never fly, a ride more specifically catering to English mystery/horror would be awesome. Jack the Ripper hosts :D

Thanks for sharing! I look forward to seeing more stuff from you.

Concerning the extant IP, how about we have cameos from them but no major roles?

KingOfEpicocity

Happy New Year guys!

Fantastic work! "Theres the stuff dreams are made of..." Im very interested in seeing what else you have for us. and how we can improve disney parks in the future!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom