Imagineering a brand-new MK and Epcot for you!

Rpearson

Excellent changes to Pirates of the Caribbean. Wether people like it or not, Captain Jack is here to stay, and I think you did a great job of marrying the old with the new. Love the re-addition of the Paul Frees dialogue especially with the binaural update. Great Work :)

mharrington

Original Poster
But since it is a new show shouldn't it also use the new animated projections that was use in Disney Dreams, and Celebrate the Magic?

Yes, it will use projections on the castle. However, the people seeing the castle during the show will get to see the projections. Anywhere else in the park, they won't be able to see anything except the fireworks.

Excellent changes to Pirates of the Caribbean. Wether people like it or not, Captain Jack is here to stay, and I think you did a great job of marrying the old with the new. Love the re-addition of the Paul Frees dialogue especially with the binaural update. Great Work :)

Thank you. I will move on now. I'm seriously giving some thought for improving the Jungle Cruise, but I really don't know how. I was originally thinking of taking stitchcastle's old concept of the Jungle Expedition, and intertwining the Jungle Cruise with a land trek, with jeeps instead of boats. Unfortunately, that would be cannibalizing the Kilimanjaro Safaris ride at the Animal Kingdom. Any ideas would be great.

I'm also seriously pondering doing something that may not be entirely welcomed by the purists: namely, redo the Swiss Family Treehouse as a new treetop walkthrough and featuring interactive, climbing and scenic opportunities, featuring elements of Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" film series. The possible name I have would be "Pirates' Treetop Lair". It would probably be equivalent to Disneyland's "Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island".

With Tortuga Tavern's menu now changed to include many Florida specialties, Mexican food will be relocated elsewhere in the park. But more on that later. The Sunshine Tree Terrace will be left alone, however. And Aloha Isle's menu will be altered to include non-alcoholic tropical beverages, Hawaiian shaved ice and Dole whips. And the old Adventureland Veranda is back in business once again, but its theme will be altered. Say hello to "The Adventurer's Club", a new version of an old favorite from Pleasure Island. It will be pretty much the same thing as before, but scaled down to fit within the area of the old Veranda, but it's the same restaurant. It will be a sit-down restaurant.

Now the shops. I already mentioned Pirate Bazaar being renamed Buccaneer Bazaar, so there's no need to repeat that. Once again, the contents for the shops will be revised to be less homogenized than before. Island Supply will now feature all things Hawaiian, not just clothes, but also fresh fruit, perfect for eating on the go. Agrabah Bazaar will be renamed "Agrabah Marketplace" and now place more emphasis on all things Aladdin.

Okay, that should do it for Adventureland.

Tip Top Club

Pirates is good, I'm all for changing the Dialogue and moving the mist screen to make room for another Skeleton scene, but I have an issue with changing the chase scene. It was changed for a reason, a very good reason, and it would be a bad idea to change it back.

I do think it would be a good idea to re-do Tortuga completely, and make it more like the tavern from the films to go along with the new menu as well.

As for the Adventurers Club, while I want it back as much as everyone else, It's not really a practical location. Perhaps in EPCOT, the New Downtown Disney, or one of the Resorts.

mharrington

Original Poster
Pirates is good, I'm all for changing the Dialogue and moving the mist screen to make room for another Skeleton scene, but I have an issue with changing the chase scene. It was changed for a reason, a very good reason, and it would be a bad idea to change it back.

Okay, then, I guess the chase scene will be untouched. But I forgot to mention one other thing about Pirates. It's based on this article from Passport 2 Dreams (check it out sometime): http://www.passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/02/on-integrity.html. According to the article...

The Disneyland and Walt Disney World queues could not be less similar [...] and so, those 1973 Pirates designers, the same ones who did the beloved Disneyland show, elected to use a unique, spookier piece of music in part of the new queue instead of Bruns' sprightly Pirates Overture, a piece called the Pirates Arcade music, which was far slower with some eerie segments, perfect to set up the attraction to follow.

...but moreover, this music then faded out, giving way to a very carefully thought out textural sound scape, with several unique pieces of audio echoing down those corridors to unique effect. In 2006, the Pirates Overture was thoughtlessly dropped in to the 1973 queue, and worse yet, it plays through the entire queue instead of just in the spots WED intended. In one careless move, a careful and intentional choice was obliterated in favor of a direct lift from Disneyland and, on top of that, the Overture plays now through the entire queue, drowning out the original 1973 sound scape. Disneyland history replaces Walt Disney World history yet again.

So one last thing I will do is to bring back the old Pirates Arcade music.

mharrington

Original Poster
Moving into Frontierland, I will leave Big Thunder and Splash alone, since they both already got fixed up significantly (although goodness knows how long this will last for Splash). I might, however, bring back the Mike Fink Keelboats and have them dock where the canoes used to dock. For Country Bears, I'd heard that they had shortened that show significantly including reduced Max, Melvin and Buff's dialog to near-nothingness. I wouldn't necessarily change the show itself, but I would try to bring back at least a few snippets of the hecklers' dialog. I have no idea where, though, as I had never seen the edited show before.

That's pretty much it for Frontierland attractions.

mharrington

Original Poster
I'm now going to wrap up with Frontierland's shops and restaurants.

First, the restaurants: the Golden Oak Outpost will remain the same, but the Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe's menu will be completely augmented. Now it will serve up a menu similar to the one that used to be used at Rancho del Zocalo at Disneyland. Namely, it will be a mix of both Mexican food and Western barbecue specialties, such as Smoked St. Louis Ribs, Ranch-Style Barbecue Chicken and an El Grande Barbecue Platter. The Diamond Horseshoe's menu will also remain.

Now, the shops: Splashdown Photos will remain the same, as will Trail Creek Hat Shop, but Frontier Mercantile will be revised to feature frontier/Western-themed items. Prairie Outpost and Supply will be revised to have more snack-related foods than just sweets, such as beef jerky and granola bars. Meanwhile, Briar Patch, too, will be revised so that it focuses only on Splash Mountain-related items and nothing else.

That should do it for Frontierland. I'm going to skip ahead to Fantasyland next because I think Liberty Square is fine as it is right now.

mharrington

Original Poster
Well, here we are in Fantasyland. The Fantasyland overhaul came along nicely, but there's still some unfinished business to take care of. Since we have come over from Liberty Square, I'll do that part first. First, we have the pathway with Peter Pan on the one side and Small World on the other. First, let's do Small World.

Nothing much would be done with the ride itself, because there's not much room to expand it. I will just focus on general tuneups (sound, animatronics, lighting, etc.). But I will remove the tent entryway (as everywhere else). Given its proximity to the Pinocchio Village Haus (which may or may not be removed and replaced), the facade will now echo some kind of fantasized-Bavarian structure with plenty of details. To match the theme of Small World, there will now be a window sign (or regular sign) labeling the building as "Sir Walter Traverse - Global Explorer Extraordinaire", hinting at some kind of Columbus-type explorer residing inside. The marquee with the children in the boat can be replaced and revised into a much more rustic model ship (complete with wood-carved children), somewhat complimenting the Pinocchio-theme next door. The marquee's lettering is painted in white lettering, the children and boat completely brown like the tree in which they were carved from.

As for the ride itself, it should pretty much remain the same. Thoughts, comments, concerns?

mharrington

Original Poster
Well, since no one appears to want to respond to me anymore, I guess I will now move over to the other side of the road to Peter Pan's Flight. I've heard that they're going to add interactive stuff to the queue, which will probably call for an improvement to the facade, so I'll focus on the ride itself.

The ride itself will be largely the same, as there's not much room to do anything too fancy with it, so all of the updates will be in the ride as is. However, the track and pirate ships will be scrapped and replaced with more up to date mechanisms and lighter ships, like what happened at Disneyland. I'm not sure whether we can have four-passenger ships like in Disneyland Paris or not, but I will replace the ride mechanism and have lighter ships to support heavier guests.

At the same time, the load area mural will now have more designs something like the Disneyland mural. But in this case, rather than having Peter Pan and the Darling children on a cloud, they will now be flying above the city of London. It will look something like the artwork for the original home video release of the movie:
Peter-Pan-Diamond-Edition.jpg

The Neverland side of the mural will show the mermaids and Captain Hook's pirate ship, like in the Mary Blair piece of artwork below (just imagine it as a regular scene, instead of something stylized, as is Blair's style):
2uf7vhs.jpg

Moving on with the Peter Pan ride, it will have its fair share of alterations. You board your larger, more expanded pirate ship as it moves slowly through the load area without ever stopping (except for when they may have to help a handicap person get in or out). As you board, you hear the standard recording that says not to lower the safety bar yourself; it will lower automatically, which it does. You then proceed forward above the newly-added rooftops of London and then through a window into the usual first scene of the Darlings' nursery. You go past the scene of Wendy sitting next John and Michael, who are in their beds. You see Peter Pan's shadow on the wall as it flies toward a nearby window as Peter himself is heard saying, "Come on, everybody, here we go!"

You go out the window to the usual "You Can Fly! You Can Fly! You Can Fly!" melody that is heard in this ride like usual. But this time, in addition to the scene of Nana in the yard down below (a new AA version as she can actually be heard barking), you also can look to your left to see a lit window and silhouettes of Mr. and Mrs. Darling disturbed by the racket outside. "What the dickens?" Mr. Darling can be heard wondering. You then go over the usual scene of London, which will have been relatively untouched by the overhaul, save for more convincing effects here, including improved car effects on the streets and even the effect of the Thames' river's water "shimmering" in the moonlight.

You then go past the usual scene of the moon and Peter and the Darlings' silhouettes on it. But this time, they're going in the opposite direction, a more appropriate direction as you head toward the usual scene of the Neverland fly-over. The cannon effect here from Captain Hook's ship is the same, but Hook and Smee's voices have been updated. Hook now says, "Here they come, Mr. Smee! Shoot 'em down!" To which Smee says, "Aye-aye, Cap'n!" and then fires. There is also an appearance by an orange-colored octopus in the water, a subtle reference for the Return To Never Land sequel, the only such reference made in the ride otherwise themed to the original movie. But aside from those, the scene is more or less identical as to how it has always been: same mermaids, same Indians and so on and on. However, the cawing noises made will also be updated to sound more like seagulls.

So anyway, you end this part of the ride by flying over Skull Rock and from there, flying by the usual scene of the ride with Wendy about to walk the plank of Hook's ship, John and Michael and the Lost Boys lashed to the ship mast, the pirates all looking on and Peter and Hook dueling up in the mainbrace. Here, the figures of Hook and Pan are improved and more convincing as their blades somehow connect. Also, so that Hook can duel with his sword instead of his hook (as is the case in the ride now, bizarrely), the positions of the two will be switched, so that now Peter Pan is on the left and Hook on the right. This is also to keep the hook on Hook's left arm as usual (in Disneyland, it's on his right arm, for some reason). Meanwhile, the crocodile waits nearby, ticking away as usual. Swinging around the ship, the pirates are all knocked out and the usual scene of a victorious Peter (now wearing Hook's hat and coat) and the Darling siblings poised at the ship's steering wheel as Peter tells Tinker Bell, "We're sailing for London." The ship now glows a bright shade of gold (in the form of fiber-optics which quickly covers the entire ship). You then see the usual scene of a defeated Hook standing precariously on the crocodile's jaws to avoid going into his mouth (the jaws actually try to scissor shut (with Hook's legs with it)). Hook calls out for help to Smee, who answers from a rowboat.

You then see one last scene before the ride ends: you go through a waterfall and instead of the visuals of the gold-colored ship, you now see a cloud version of it in the London sky, just before the unload area. You see Wendy, Mr. Darling and Nana looking at it as Mr. Darling saying, "You know, I have the strangest feeling I saw that ship once... a long time ago, when I was very young..." You then head to the unload area and get off to the right.

And that's the new and improved Peter Pan's Flight at WDW's Magic Kingdom's "new" Fantasyland! Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Matt7187

Well, since no one appears to want to respond to me anymore, I guess I will now move over to the other side of the road to Peter Pan's Flight. I've heard that they're going to add interactive stuff to the queue, which will probably call for an improvement to the facade, so I'll focus on the ride itself.

The ride itself will be largely the same, as there's not much room to do anything too fancy with it, so all of the updates will be in the ride as is. However, the track and pirate ships will be scrapped and replaced with more up to date mechanisms and lighter ships, like what happened at Disneyland. I'm not sure whether we can have four-passenger ships like in Disneyland Paris or not, but I will replace the ride mechanism and have lighter ships to support heavier guests.

At the same time, the load area mural will now have more designs something like the Disneyland mural. But in this case, rather than having Peter Pan and the Darling children on a cloud, they will now be flying above the city of London. It will look something like the artwork for the original home video release of the movie:
Peter-Pan-Diamond-Edition.jpg

The Neverland side of the mural will show the mermaids and Captain Hook's pirate ship, like in the Mary Blair piece of artwork below (just imagine it as a regular scene, instead of something stylized, as is Blair's style):
2uf7vhs.jpg

Moving on with the Peter Pan ride, it will have its fair share of alterations. You board your larger, more expanded pirate ship as it moves slowly through the load area without ever stopping (except for when they may have to help a handicap person get in or out). As you board, you hear the standard recording that says not to lower the safety bar yourself; it will lower automatically, which it does. You then proceed forward above the newly-added rooftops of London and then through a window into the usual first scene of the Darlings' nursery. You go past the scene of Wendy sitting next John and Michael, who are in their beds. You see Peter Pan's shadow on the wall as it flies toward a nearby window as Peter himself is heard saying, "Come on, everybody, here we go!"

You go out the window to the usual "You Can Fly! You Can Fly! You Can Fly!" melody that is heard in this ride like usual. But this time, in addition to the scene of Nana in the yard down below (a new AA version as she can actually be heard barking), you also can look to your left to see a lit window and silhouettes of Mr. and Mrs. Darling disturbed by the racket outside. "What the dickens?" Mr. Darling can be heard wondering. You then go over the usual scene of London, which will have been relatively untouched by the overhaul, save for more convincing effects here, including improved car effects on the streets and even the effect of the Thames' river's water "shimmering" in the moonlight.

You then go past the usual scene of the moon and Peter and the Darlings' silhouettes on it. But this time, they're going in the opposite direction, a more appropriate direction as you head toward the usual scene of the Neverland fly-over. The cannon effect here from Captain Hook's ship is the same, but Hook and Smee's voices have been updated. Hook now says, "Here they come, Mr. Smee! Shoot 'em down!" To which Smee says, "Aye-aye, Cap'n!" and then fires. There is also an appearance by an orange-colored octopus in the water, a subtle reference for the Return To Never Land sequel, the only such reference made in the ride otherwise themed to the original movie. But aside from those, the scene is more or less identical as to how it has always been: same mermaids, same Indians and so on and on. However, the cawing noises made will also be updated to sound more like seagulls.

So anyway, you end this part of the ride by flying over Skull Rock and from there, flying by the usual scene of the ride with Wendy about to walk the plank of Hook's ship, John and Michael and the Lost Boys lashed to the ship mast, the pirates all looking on and Peter and Hook dueling up in the mainbrace. Here, the figures of Hook and Pan are improved and more convincing as their blades somehow connect. Also, so that Hook can duel with his sword instead of his hook (as is the case in the ride now, bizarrely), the positions of the two will be switched, so that now Peter Pan is on the left and Hook on the right. This is also to keep the hook on Hook's left arm as usual (in Disneyland, it's on his right arm, for some reason). Meanwhile, the crocodile waits nearby, ticking away as usual. Swinging around the ship, the pirates are all knocked out and the usual scene of a victorious Peter (now wearing Hook's hat and coat) and the Darling siblings poised at the ship's steering wheel as Peter tells Tinker Bell, "We're sailing for London." The ship now glows a bright shade of gold (in the form of fiber-optics which quickly covers the entire ship). You then see the usual scene of a defeated Hook standing precariously on the crocodile's jaws to avoid going into his mouth (the jaws actually try to scissor shut (with Hook's legs with it)). Hook calls out for help to Smee, who answers from a rowboat.

You then see one last scene before the ride ends: you go through a waterfall and instead of the visuals of the gold-colored ship, you now see a cloud version of it in the London sky, just before the unload area. You see Wendy, Mr. Darling and Nana looking at it as Mr. Darling saying, "You know, I have the strangest feeling I saw that ship once... a long time ago, when I was very young..." You then head to the unload area and get off to the right.

And that's the new and improved Peter Pan's Flight at WDW's Magic Kingdom's "new" Fantasyland! Thoughts, comments, concerns?
Sounds great! Keep up the good work!

mharrington

Original Poster
*points at Hollywood Studios*

I've got different plans for DHS. Moving on...

Beyond the Pinocchio Village Haus (or maybe even replacing it), there is a new ride for Fantasyland. I had originally thought of an elaborate version of the Pinocchio dark ride, but it would probably not fit in Fantasyland logistically. I then discovered something else that might work as an alternative, based on an abandoned concept for a possible replacement swing ride for the Orange Stinger at the California Adventure (before going with Silly Symphony Swings). It's a Pinocchio-themed swing ride, and it's called Geppetto's Workshop. An abandoned concept finally comes to life at WDW's new Fantasyland. Here's what The Neverland Files had to say about it:

When Mouse House management realised they needed to redo Disney's California Adventure and inject some much needed money into the park, one of the goals of the redo was to increase the presense of the characters in the park, something many guests felt was missing. So the Imagineers were challenged with finding some new theme for that giant orange jutting out of Paradise Bay. The Blue Sky Cellar, the display room at the park explaining to the guests why all the work is going on, displays some of this artwork, and I managed to photograph some of the concepts they didn't go with.

The first concept would have themed the ride to Pinocchio, renaming it 'Geppetto's Workshop'. Guests would have become one of the carpenter's puppets, hanging down with their swing chains acting as their strings - a really nice idea! The ride structure itself would have been given a very Victorian look, with a giant clockwork key at the top turning the whole ride into one of Geppetto's toys, and with murals depicting Pinocchio scenes painted all around it.

Here's some artwork for it:
sillysymphonyswings1.jpg

Go to this website for more information and more pictures: http://www.theneverlandfiles.com/tnf...honyswings.php. Obviously, it would have to be augmented to fit in Fantasyland, since it's made for Paradise Pier, but it could probably be done, and it would be a fourth spinner ride with panels from another Disney movie ("Cinderella", "Dumbo", and now "Alice In Wonderland" - more on that later). It just looks like something that could actually be built.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Turtle

*points at Hollywood Studios*
*points at an even more incohesive theme*

Unless there's a Mickey land, I don't see the show working. This is assuming Animation Courtyard is dead and the park consists of Star Wars, Muppets, Pixar, Hollywood Boulevard, and Sunset Boulevard.

mharrington

Original Poster
Over where the Snow White ride once was, there is being added a Princess meet-n-greet. For the time being, it will remain, but in the future, there will be a new dark ride, themed to "Sleeping Beauty".

Think about it, some of the scenes in the movie would be able to thread perfectly into the Snow White ride track (granted, the track will probably be long gone, but a guy can dream, can't he?), especially near the end of the ride. Here, the diamond mine section could be replaced by the thorns that Maleficent brings up to stop Prince Phillip. Then in the spot where you would see the Seven Dwarfs on the mountain and the Witch attempting to crush them with a boulder, there would be a similar mountainous scene of Phillip battling Maleficent as the dragon. You would see Phillip's Sword of Truth light up as you hear Flora, one of the three good fairies, say, "Sword of Truth, fly swift and sure! Let evil die and good endure!" Then you see (through effects) the sword impaling the dragon and killing her. Then the Love's First Kiss scene of Snow White would be replaced with that of "Sleeping Beauty" and finally, in the scene where the Dwarfs wave goodbye to Snow White and her prince, you find yourself in the castle where you see Aurora dancing with Phillip while Flora and Merryweather fight over Aurora's dress color. Through effects, Aurora's dress changes back and forth between pink and blue. And all the while, just as "Someday My Prince Will Come" plays over these scenes in the Snow White ride, so "Once Upon a Dream" would play in these scenes for "Sleeping Beauty".

That's how the end of the ride would play out, but I'm not sure about the beginning nor what the name of the ride could be, although I'm thinking maybe "The Legend of Sleeping Beauty". In any case, with this new dark ride, there will now be four movie-themed dark rides: this, Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid and Winnie the Pooh. What are your thoughts?

mharrington

Original Poster
Moving on from the castle courtyard area, everything about the improved area of Fantasyland, from the Pooh ride to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride to the Little Mermaid ride will be as is now, but then, right at the edge of Fantasyland, is the Mad Tea Party. Here the ride will be improved drastically. First, the canopy roof will be replaced with something not nearly so tent-like, probably some structure that resembles huge hedges, not unlike how it was presented in "Alice In Wonderland".

But that's not even the half of it. I'm thinking about doing this ride with different designs than usual, because those teacups designs they have right now are SO 1970s. I was originally thinking about just duplicating the Disneyland teacup designs, but then I thought of doing the cups instead as more like the characters from "Alice In Wonderland", with the characters' color schemes and little pieces associated with them (i.e., the Mad Hatter's 10/6 tag, the Cheshire Cat's grin, etc.). Something like the picture below:
mad-hatter-tea-party-cups.jpg

As you can see, there is an idea for the cup with the Cheshire Cat's grin on it. Maybe the one with the green-colored stripe could be themed to the Mad Hatter, with the 10/6 tag on it.

I also noticed that the carousel and now Dumbo have panels that depict scenes of their respective movies ("Cinderella" and "Dumbo", obviously) adorning the central areas. So I decided that the Mad Tea Party, also a spinner ride, should also have images of this kind, too, obviously themed to "Alice". One piece of artwork would show Alice meeting the Cheshire Cat, another the Unbirthday Party scene, and so on. But what should they be, though? One obvious one is the tea party scene, as I said, looking like this (but more rendered like for Dumbo):
48a629.jpg

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

mharrington

Original Poster
Moving along, you now head into Storybook Circus. No longer part of Fantasyland, this is now its own land, bringing the roster lands back up the seven! That means this park will now become the only castle park not to have a Dumbo in Fantasyland, just as Disneyland is the only castle park not to have Pirates in Adventureland (but in New Orleans Square, obviously). It is also home to a brand-new dark ride, but more on that later.

You enter below the main marquee and, bearing left, you find yourself looking at a huge bluish-looking tent, which is home to Big Top Souvenirs, a shop. And dead ahead is Casey Jr. Splash and Soak Station, which will remain the same as right now, except maybe minimizing the water in the winter, because it does get cold in Florida. Meanwhile, inside a red tent is a fancy character meet-n-greet. However, this is no longer called Pete's Silly Sideshow. Now it is called the Silly Symphonic Sideshow ("Silly Symphonic" written in the Silly Symphony font, no less). Here, the meet-n-greet roster is now completely changed. Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy no longer do meet-n-greets here (more on that later). Instead, you now see lesser characters, who are hardly ever around anymore, such as the Three Little Pigs, Horace Horsecollar and Ludwig Von Drake. You also get to meet, for what I believe is the first time, Black Pete! However, as in the past, these characters are also dressed in circus regalia.

More to come later!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom