Imagineering a brand-new MK and Epcot for you!

mharrington

Original Poster
I've contributed to and/or made several threads on improving WDW, such as for this thread, If I could improve Walt Disney World...., and a spinoff, "If I could improve Walt Disney World..." 2.0. The problem was, I had some good ideas and I tried to get other people's suggestions. But things pretty much fizzled out somewhere down the way.

So anyway, I'm going to do another similar thread, only this time, it's going to be just for the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, two parks with which I'm most familiar and most comfortable with. In all honesty, Disney's Hollywood Studios and the Animal Kingdom, are just not as familiar to me. I will be putting up ideas soon. I will also have a special separate page for an improvement to a classic at the Magic Kingdom.

Stay tuned!

mharrington

Original Poster
Well, first, we have Main Street. I think it's fine the way it is. It just needs some basic touching-up here and there, such as all the scenery working to the polishing up of all the bronze statues (i.e., Walt and Mickey, Roy and Minnie). However, the attractions, such as they are, will be updated. First, for a long time, I had been wanting to take the Walt Disney - One Man's Dream show out of the Studios and put it in the Town Square Theater, where Mickey does meet-n-greets (more on that later). However, since that's where Mickey does meet-n-greets now that Toontown Fair is gone, it didn't seem like the best thing to do. And yet I really wanted to take the attraction out of the Studios.

Then someone suggested a compromise: to break up the various sections of the show into various individual components and then scatter them to all the parks. All the parks will now have its own special One Man's Dream exhibit, including some things not at the original Studios attraction. Anyway, in the case of the Magic Kingdom, there will be a new One Man's Dream exhibit in the Main Street Cinema, all about the Disney theme parks, but mostly Disneyland, since it's the one that started it all. At the back of the room, there will be a new theater, not a big one, just about the size of that side section at the preshow lobby of Disneyland's Opera House (where you see the Disneyland movie with Steve Martin; that show, too, will be replaced by this show) before you go to see Mr. Lincoln. Here, there will be a few benches where you can sit and watch the show. You can come and go as you please here. It won't be a huge theater, just big enough. This would also be a good excuse to replace the cinema marquee out front. Since this thread is about the Magic Kingdom and Epcot only, the Studios and Animal Kingdom's respective One Man's Dream exhibits are called "Entertainment King" (about Disney movies and TV shows, obviously) and "Animals and Nature".

Of course, with the exhibit moving into the Cinema spot, that deprives the Art of Disney store of a section at the Magic Kingdom. Maybe it could take over the Box Office Gifts store at the Town Square Theater and show the animation art, cels, figurines, etc., alongside the camera supplies and PhotoPass photos sold there. Sorry, it was the best I could do on short notice.

Well, that's the first part of the Magic Kingdom improvements. What do you think so far?

Tip Top Club

As much as I hate to admit it, I actually think that replacing the Mickey meet and Greet in the Town Square Theater is a great idea, obviously they are going to have to do some construction soon with the Princesses moving back to Fantasyland, so Why not?

That does leave the question of where he would move, my only though would be the Diamond Horseshoe Building, but they do still use that during peak season....

Anyway I think it's a fine idea to move the One Man's Dream stuff to Main Street. I do think that losing the Art of Disney Store is probably a mistake, it is a pretty classy store which is what Main Street needs instead of just tacky souvenirs, and I'm sure it makes money.

Hmm...

One of the projects that I'm working on right now involves the planning of the 50th anniversary, and I'm trying to figure out a feasible way to add the arcades to either side of the street (like Paris has) but I'm having some difficulty, have you ever thought of that?

mharrington

Original Poster
As much as I hate to admit it, I actually think that replacing the Mickey meet and Greet in the Town Square Theater is a great idea, obviously they are going to have to do some construction soon with the Princesses moving back to Fantasyland, so Why not?

That does leave the question of where he would move, my only though would be the Diamond Horseshoe Building, but they do still use that during peak season....

Unfortunately, there's really no other spot at the Magic Kingdom that can hold a decent Mickey meet-n-greet. Toontown Fair is gone, of course, and I've warmed to Storybook Circus being here. And as you said, the Diamond Horseshoe is used for peak seasons. And besides, the scenery in the theater is actually pretty neat. Again, I've warmed to it. As for the princess meet-n-greet in Fantasyland, it's being built as I post, like so (mind you, there's not much to look at yet, but it's coming along):

Actually, I had an idea for what can go in the princess side of the Town Square Theater, and that is to have the whole thing be the prime meet-n-greet spot for the Fab Six. Mickey's already obviously there, and I believe that before Pete's Silly Sideshow came along, Minnie sometimes was there, too. So I was thinking of having the backstage area where Mickey is found also be frequented by Minnie and/or Pluto. And for the former princess section of the Town Square Theater, this will be a meet-n-greet spot for Donald, Daisy and Goofy (usually Donald and Goofy).

Of course, that leaves the thing about what to do with Pete's Silly Sideshow, since Minnie, Donald, Daisy and Goofy no longer do their thing there. Don't worry, I have a plan for that.

mharrington

Original Poster
What about for a new nighttime show?

Well, I thought about several ideas for fireworks shows, including a redo of World of Color and a show about Walt Disney himself in the style of Remember Dreams Come True (sequencing would be based on the sections of the Disney Family Museum). In fact, I had even created several threads devoted to the subject, including an original thread (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-the-magic-kingdom-open-brainstorming.611407/) and a "return" (http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-the-magic-kingdom-open-brainstorming.686770/). Unfortunately, here again, those threads fizzled out when we couldn't agree on anything.

champdisney

I always had this ongoing fascination of adding a living character initiative version of Tramp to Main Street. Here's how I'll showcase it... At several times during the day located at Main Street, guests will be able to spot the identical dog catcher's truck from the Lady and the Tramp film, driving around until it makes it's designated stop. Guests will then huddle together as a live actor portraying the dog catcher emerges from the driver's seat and comes out to introduce himself and begins to brag about how he finally managed to capture the "most mischievous canine of all of Main Street". During all of this, guests will be able to hear Tramp bark while the dog catcher proceeds to brag about his most prized catch, this will then lead to a silly-hilarious argument between the two in which Tramp challenges the dog catcher to set him free so he too can interact with the Main Street tourists. After giving into Tramp, the dog catcher finally agrees and opens up the back door of the truck to set Tramp free. Tramp comes out to embrace the crowd and the comedy continues between the two characters, all leading to a meet and greet photo opportunity.

mharrington

Original Poster
I always had this ongoing fascination of adding a living character initiative version of Tramp to Main Street. Here's how I'll showcase it... At several times during the day located at Main Street, guests will be able to spot the identical dog catcher's truck from the Lady and the Tramp film, driving around until it makes it's designated stop. Guests will then huddle together as a live actor portraying the dog catcher emerges from the driver's seat and comes out to introduce himself and begins to brag about how he finally managed to capture the "most mischievous canine of all of Main Street". During all of this, guests will be able to hear Tramp bark while the dog catcher proceeds to brag about his most prized catch, this will then lead to a silly-hilarious argument between the two in which Tramp challenges the dog catcher to set him free so he too can interact with the Main Street tourists. After giving into Tramp, the dog catcher finally agrees and opens up the back door of the truck to set Tramp free. Tramp comes out to embrace the crowd and the comedy continues between the two characters, all leading to a meet and greet photo opportunity.

That's actually a good idea for a live snippet of entertainment. I also had another idea, one from this thread I found here (so it's not my own original idea): http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/do-they-deserve-a-presence.864021/. Basically, it's a way to incorporate "Pete's Dragon" into the park (the Elliot float in the Electrical Parade notwithstanding). What was suggested on the thread is this: a cart pulls up to a spot on Main Street a couple of times a day. Have two guys jump out, portraying Dr. Terminus and Hoagy, the main villains in "Pete's Dragon". They can put on a little comedy act, interact with the guests, while peddling their snake oil! "Can't you hear that jingle-jangle sound? (OH YEAH!) It's money, money, money by the pound!"

I'll move on in the Magic Kingdom next time.

mharrington

Original Poster
I'm really not sure what to do about a new show except for the fact that, similar to the the Remember Dreams Come True show at Disneyland, which began with the music for Wishes, the new fireworks show would open with the music for Magical, like so:

Actually, an idea is starting to form in my mind, but I will put it up later, possibly after I get through all the rest of the Magic Kingdom. Consider the music up there a kind of a teaser.

Anyway, for the shops and restaurants on Main Street, they will pretty much remain as is, except for the fact that the Art of Disney store will now be going where Box Office Gifts is right now. Also, the Emporium will become the park's official ultimate store. Let's just say if this park was Downtown Disney, the Emporium would be the World of Disney store. Meanwhile, Curtain Call Collectibles will be home to both merchandise themed to Mickey and the gang (like I said, I plan to have the Town Square Theater be the meet-n-greet for all of Mickey's friends) and magic items, like Disneyland's Magic Shop. The rest of the land's shops names will reflect the items they have. As a result, the Emporium will end with the Emporium Gallery, leaving the storefronts to proudly be individual stores once again. This means the Disney Clothiers storefront is now the Disney Clothiers (and includes Main Street Fashion and Apparel, too), while the Main Street Hall of Champions will become a sporting goods store (or at least feature gifts with a sports-like motif).

As for the restaurants, everything's pretty much fine as it is. So I don't think there's much to be said there, so... That's pretty much it for Main Street. Next time, it's on to Adventureland.

mharrington

Original Poster
Here's the first part of Adventureland:

About the only things I would do is to somewhat improve Pirates of the Caribbean and a few other minor things. First, here's my idea for Pirates: I've seen where people would just scrap the whole ride as it stands now and replace it with a brand-new Pirates ride bigger than now. I really don't think it's possible to do that. You have to remember, adding in Pirates at the park was almost an afterthought. For various reasons, obvious ones, I might add, they initially considered not building and instead build the Western River Expedition, but they couldn't build it in time for the park's 1971 opening. And instead of being happy about the lack of Pirates, guests balked at it and when Burbank heard about it, the Imagineers decided to give the guests what they wanted. But the bigwigs wanted it to be smaller than normal, for various reasons, such as room in Adventureland. Florida's ride became notorious for being a "Cliff-Noted" version of the Disneyland original.

So I'm afraid we can't do too much with Pirates. It was always a condensed version of DL's (like I said, adding this in was almost an afterthought), so if you want to lengthen it, we'd be going for broke with the changes. You can't change too much without changing it all.

So, for changing the ride itself, I would just stick to doing it to the ride that's there already. The ride changes begin even before you reach the entrance. The barker parrot will be returned, though maybe placed under the present black sail outside the entrance that bears the ride's name. Then the real changes start after you get into your bateau and cast off. The Davy Jones waterfall will be relocated to directly above the single waterfall.

Before you reach that, you will hear the "Dead Men Tell No Tales" line accompanied by Paul Frees' "No fear have ye of evil curses..." line, remastered and played by way of a special set of speakers that will be installed to make the voice float around to various points of the room. Meanwhile, before you go past the ghost ship in the storm, you will see a new treasure trove scene similar to other rides out, but in this case, the skeleton would be created by way of an old Pepper's Ghost effect thought of for the ride way back when:
395dda20.jpg

Davy Jones (not Blackbeard, but once again, Davy Jones) and his waterfall will become more HD (is that what you would call it?) and that's about it. This waterfall will be relocated directly above the actual waterfall you go down.

This, of course, lands you in the "bombarding the fort" scene. Here, the dialog is almost left alone - "almost" in the sense that any mentions of Jack Sparrow will be removed from Barbossa's dialogue. If edited correctly, there won't be any worry about having to have Geoffrey Rush re-record more lines.

The well scene will lose its current dialogue and return to the old dialogue respectively. Jack will still remain hiding behind the dress-wearing mannequins. The new assumption is that rather than looking for Jack, the pirates are simply looking for the town's treasure. Jack, of course, who obviously isn't a part of the crew (Barbossa is presumably their captain after all) is secretly searching for the treasure himself, thus why he appears to have found it at the end of the ride.

The chase scene will have a very controversial change: The pirates chasing ladies for love... again. That means that the Pooped Pirate will be back in action here, once again holding the frilly pink underskirt and bragging about the woman whom it belongs too. The terrified girl pokes her head out of the barrel and looks around, quickly lowering back down at the sight of the barking dog which grabs the Pooped Pirate's attention. The pirates and the ladies will chase each other around in circles.

What's that? Where's Jack, you say? Well, he's moved to the far left side of the scene. Here, a pirate has fallen asleep in a drunken stupor, the key to the town's treasure vault tightly gripped in one hand, and the map leading to it in his lap. On either side stands a horse and a goat, both in which walk a very sneaky Jack attempt to steal the map and key. Right as Jack is about to get it, the animals make noise, causing him to retract as the pirate makes some horrid noises in the form of snores. Jack goes back and, of course, the animals react. This never-ending sequence is guaranteed to garner a few laughs.

The burning town scene will now have a new sight: a rowboat with two very intoxicated pirates seated in it and filled to overflowing with rum bottles, including some in the water nearby. The fire effect will be made more realistic than ever, as not to allow the shadows of the flapping curtains to appear.

That's about it for the ride itself. The shop at the exit, known as "Pirate Bazaar" will be renamed "Buccaneer Bazaar". Its selection of pirate-themed items will remain, but expanded to include all things pirate-related, such as swords, eye patches, hats, "hooks", gold doubloons and jewelry. And for good measure, the nearby Tortuga Tavern's menu will be completely revamped. It will now be more health-conscious and specialize in local Florida specialties.

What do you think?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom