Imagination! Being Replaced w. Dr. Doof?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It'd be the perfect way to prove Disney has lost all its Imagination.
I am thinking that it is the general public that has lost their imagination.

I have no doubt that there are some simply incredible ideas floating around WDI that will never see the light of day simply because the average theme park guest will never appreciate it. The sad reality is building attraction to please the 5% of us that appreciate detail, story, originality, quality, etc seems to be a recipe for financial failure. The other 95% wants characters they recognize tacked onto some sort of mindless attraction.

GLaDOS

I am thinking that it is the general public that has lost their imagination.

I have no doubt that there are some simply incredible ideas floating around WDI that will never see the light of day simply because the average theme park guest will never appreciate it. The sad reality is building attraction to please the 5% of us that appreciate detail, story, originality, quality, etc seems to be a recipe for financial failure. The other 95% wants characters they recognize tacked onto some sort of mindless attraction.

I'd respectfully disagree. I think that's what Disney thinks people want, yes. But while many of use look at the normal guest with disgust, I still think most people would appreciate a great, original attraction.

Disney is just afraid to do it.

WDWFREAK53

I refuse to support any non-original toons in Epcot. Massive fail of an idea.

How hypocritical of a pavilion...
Let's not have an imaginative creation in the Imagination pavilion...let's just use something that we know works.

Yes, P&F are all about imagination...and the show is pretty good actually (me, as an adult, actually likes the show).

As much as I'd hate to see a P&F replacement and the inevitable death of Figment...I can't really say WHY P&F wouldn't fit...aside from the fact that I strongly dislike character overlays in the "grown-up" park...but then again...Imagination has always been geared towards the kids.

So, while I'd vote "NO"...I could never come up with a strong case for it.

ThemeParks4Life

No. Phineas and Ferb has been mostly sucking for the last season or so. I would glady take it as a replacement for Iagination, but it doesn't have staying power.

toasty

P&F are original Disney creations, aren't they? They aren't classic Disney, which could be what you mean, I guess, but I think they are original in that they were not created by someone else and licensed by Disney for use in the parks...

Back on point, I have a real soft spot for Figment, but that whole pavilion is effectively dead space right now. The Figment ride never has a wait, and Captain EO has campy, nostalgic value only, if that -- I watched it on my last trip and cannot ever imagine a circumstance where I would willingly watch it again. They need to do SOMETHING to provide a reason for people to go over there.

ChrisM

Imagination has been getting some looks lately...

But personally....a big No Thanks to Phineas and Ferb. (Whoever they are. I couldn't pick them out of a line-up.)

I panned P&F until I actually watched it: it's a fantastic show. Extremely clever (sometimes in a startlingly highbrow fashion), often hilarious, and appealing to both kids and adults (the latter in that sort of subversive, old school "Looney Tunes" way).

I have no great affinity for the vast, vast majority of Disney media content, but this show has been a flat out winner.

ExtinctJenn

I too would be on the fence for this one...

1) I'm a huge fan of the original Journey Into Imagination and Figment. I'd hate to see Figment depart... and we know from past experience what would happen if he did. A group of fans would go bananas and TDO would respond by creating something so overly Figment that you never want to see the color purple again.

But...

2) I have to agree that Phineas & Ferb are sort of the embodiment of the concept of using your imagination these days. Kids identify with them... Adults identify with them (and most love the Doof character) and in general the show is something everyone in the family can enjoy. It's not necessarily male/female geared nor is it teen/preteen/little one geared. We've been watching it since it started and that means DS has been growing up watching it, with his enjoyment of it not changing. My husband and I are geeks and run a guild on an MMO that is named "Doofensmirtz Evil Inc." I mean it truly is something most families enjoy as a whole. It could do really well if it's done right...

And that's where I lose hope. If there is ANY truth to this rumor, I could see it being done poorly and completely killing the attraction (well... more than the demo of the original did). Fingers crossed in either direction. If you're gonna do it... do it right. If you aren't going to do it right... please for the love of God don't!

novawildcat18

I panned P&F until I actually watched it: it's a fantastic show. Extremely clever (sometimes in a startlingly highbrow fashion), often hilarious, and appealing to both kids and adults (the latter in that sort of subversive, old school "Looney Tunes" way).

I have no great affinity for the vast, vast majority of Disney media content, but this show has been a flat out winner.
I agree and I would hope that people's reasoning for not wanting P&F here is because it's a TV show with little staying power rather than that they think it's not a good show. The show is witty, clever, and funny.

ThemeParks4Life

I agree and I would hope that people's reasoning for not wanting P&F here is because it's a TV show with little staying power rather than that they think it's not a good show. The show is witty, clever, and funny.

Yeah, the reason I don't want it is because it won't last long. The first 3 seasons were good, but I'm not impressed with Season 4 and feel P&F is past it's prime.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'd respectfully disagree. I think that's what Disney thinks people want, yes. But while many of use look at the normal guest with disgust, I still think most people would appreciate a great, original attraction.

Disney is just afraid to do it.
People have shown Disney that is what they want. 1982 Epcot was brilliant. The attractions exuded quality and story from every pore. It was also regarded by the general public as the most boring place on earth.

I do agree that Disney is afraid, but with good reason.

SirLink

That is honestly the first time I've heard someone refer to the show as clever.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
If there was a P&F or Dr. Doof makeover of Imagination that bought back some good stuff the Imageworks (use the upstairs, e.g.), I would go and probably enjoy it more than the current pavilion, but I would be quite disappointed that they tied the attractions to what will certainly be a short-lived franchise. There no way that this is the best idea floating around WDI for Imagination.

People have shown Disney that is what they want. 1982 Epcot was brilliant. The attractions exuded quality and story from every pore. It was also regarded by the general public as the most boring place on earth.

Sad but true. While Epcot is still my favorite park, I miss many things from the 1990 version.

Sans Souci

Do you think there is a certain age cohort that feels that "attractions exuded quality and story from every pore?" Because my first visit to EPCOT Center was in 1985 and I was 10. I was blown away and it just resonated with me long after the vacation ended. I know this only anecdotal and a WDW fan board isn't best sampling frame, but I feel like those of us who truly felt Epcot was so special seem to be Gen Xers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom