I'm sorry Canada

FutureCEO

Original Poster
Burger King is buying one of your companies. It's been nice knowing you Tim Hortons. Even though I never walk in your store while you where in my town, you seemed better then Dunkin Donuts. Tim Hortons will go downhill from here.

Goofyernmost

I think that the next trouble spot will be Canada, eh! Joke about Quebec, ridicule how they don't know how to spell the most basic of words, like colour :rolleyes:, make fun of the words aboot and even the habitual use of (eh) and even the fact that they all seem to like a cardboard flavo(u)red Candy Bar called Coffee Crisp, but mess with Tim Hortons and lookout. They are liable to call out their Army (consisting of 4 people armed with Swiss Army Knives), the Navy (two rowboats and a slingshot) and those Red Coated Mounties that vaguely smell like a horse. Watch out world we have a new player. ;)

MattC

I think that the next trouble spot will be Canada, eh! Joke about Quebec, ridicule how they don't know how to spell the most basic of words, like colour :rolleyes:, make fun of the words aboot and even the habitual use of (eh) and even the fact that they all seem to like a cardboard flavo(u)red Candy Bar called Coffee Crisp, but mess with Tim Hortons and lookout. They are liable to call out their Army (consisting of 4 people armed with Swiss Army Knives), the Navy (two rowboats and a slingshot) and those Red Coated Mounties that vaguely smell like a horse. Watch out world we have a new player. ;)

image.png

eeyoremum

Timmies was bought by Wendy's years ago and survived. The one thing about Canada, especially Hamilton the birthplace of Tim's, is you are never more than one block away from them. I mean it, really! My work has a location in the building and there are three more within walking distance and five more within a 5-10 minute drive. I live a 20 minute drive from work and I pass four not including the ones I mentioned.

Canada seems yo have a long tradition of selling our companies to companies outside of Canada. Then the powers that be scratch their heads wondering what happened when the company closes up shop and leaves Canadians jobless.

eeyoremum

Hey, maybe our spelling is the correct version ;)

eeyoremum

:joyfull: With all those things I listed, is that the only one that you are challenging? ;)

I can't challenge anything else. I am a good Ontarian so of course I may say not so nice things about Quebec and our second official language. We joke about our military too BUT I support our troops 100% maybe not the mission but the troops yes. I say "eh" all the time I can't help it. That just leaves the spelling issue. :) Oh, darn Coffee crisp...cardboard? Really? You happen to be wrong about those too :p

Goofyernmost

I can't challenge anything else. I am a good Ontarian so of course I may say not so nice things about Quebec and our second official language. We joke about our military too BUT I support our troops 100% maybe not the mission but the troops yes. I say "eh" all the time I can't help it. That just leaves the spelling issue. :) Oh, darn Coffee crisp...cardboard? Really? You happen to be wrong about those too :p
My daughters agree with you completely on the Coffee Crisp front, but, I tried one once and from that point on preferred munching on the wrapper cause it had more flavor.:in pain: My FIL used to bring a handful of them down for the girls when they were little. It is one of their fondest memories, which only supports the theory that the very young have not yet developed a sense of taste and will eat anything that contains sugar.:joyfull:

eeyoremum

My daughters agree with you completely on the Coffee Crisp front, but, I tried one once and from that point on preferred munching on the wrapper cause it had more flavor.:in pain: My FIL used to bring a handful of them down for the girls when they were little. It is one of their fondest memories, which only supports the theory that the very young have not yet developed a sense of taste and will eat anything that contains sugar.:joyfull:

We will need to agree to disagree on the Coffee Crisp front...but I agree children and sugar seem to go together.

prberk

The Today Show said this morning that the new combined company will be based in Canada (with corporate taxes being paid there). Some social media posts are asking Americans (North Americans in the United States,that is... for @Monty 's sake) to boycott BK as leaving the country that made them. Should be interesting.

Maybe at least now they will have better coffee!

Goofyernmost

Our spelling is most assuredly correct! Americans (as they like to be called despite the majority of the "Americas" not being them :rolleyes:) have a bad habit of believing themselves to have originated everything... They're generally wrong, but we tolerate them. :cautious:
I think we are better known for quickly finding the error of others and correcting them to the proper way. ;)

lazyboy97o

The Today Show said this morning that the new combined company will be based in Canada (with corporate taxes being paid there). Some social media posts are asking Americans (North Americans in the United States,that is... for @Monty 's sake) to boycott BK as leaving the country that made them. Should be interesting.

Meh, I don't see why they should be boycotted for doing what pretty much everyone else does. This seems to be one of those area where those who scream the loudest are some of the biggest practitioners. Even Mr. I Should Pay More Taxes is financing the deal.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Coffee Crisp = best candy bar in the world. If I ever lived in Canada, I'd be about 500 pounds from eating them all the time.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

No reason a company shouldn't make decisions regarding its location taking into account all costs, including taxes. Of course, the US operations will still pay US taxes (some fools seem to think this move means that BK/TH will pay no US taxes). States compete on tax regimes -- why shouldn't countries? Of course, the answer is that its a stupid move that eventually comes back to bite you in the when you don't have enough tax revenue to provide services, but that doesn't mean that it's wrong for companies to go where their costs are lower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom